Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5  (Read 102599 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2013, 10:35:34 AM »
Lowe pro nova bags

That's what I have.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2013, 03:34:22 PM »
That's what I was thinking! 

Lowe pro nova bags

I still have a Nova 5 that I bought from Stu if you want to give that a shot.  You'll definitely need right angle cables, and the 680 takes up about half the main pouch, but it might work if since you don't have a big preamp behind it.

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »

Lowe pro nova bags

I still have a Nova 5 that I bought from Stu if you want to give that a shot.  You'll definitely need right angle cables, and the 680 takes up about half the main pouch, but it might work if since you don't have a big preamp behind it.

That's not a Nova 5. It's smaller than the 5. It might work though.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline achalsey

« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2013, 03:50:57 PM »

Lowe pro nova bags

That's not a Nova 5. It's smaller than the 5. It might work though.

Oh, whoops, you're right.  Its a 3.  I put the 680 in, it fits pretty snuggly.

Offline achalsey

« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2013, 04:16:59 PM »
What signal does the digital out send?  Just the digital input, or can it send a mix?  Is there any way to send individual channels (analoge out set to "direct") then send two specific channels through the digital out?

Also, if I set analoge out to "mix", and have a board feed into channel 5/6, then set all the other channels in the mix at 0, I would be have 3 separate outs giving the board feed, correct?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2013, 05:44:09 PM »
What signal does the digital out send?  Just the digital input, or can it send a mix?  Is there any way to send individual channels (analoge out set to "direct") then send two specific channels through the digital out?

The digital out sends whatever monitor mix you set as a panned and level adjusted mix of the 6 inputs.  If you set the machine for 'direct' output of each individual channel to it's analog RCA out, set the monitor mix levels to only output the two specific channels you want, one hardpanned left and the other right, with the other channel levels set to zero, it will do what you describe.

Also, if I set analoge out to "mix", and have a board feed into channel 5/6, then set all the other channels in the mix at 0, I would be have 3 separate outs giving the board feed, correct?

Assuming you don't have very old firmware, you would actually have board feed to all outputs.  If you don't pan anything you'd get the identical mono mix of ch5 & 6 on all outputs.  If you pan ch5 hardleft and ch6 hardright in the monitor mix, ch 5 would be routed to all the odd numbered RCA outs and ch6 to all the even ones.  The digital out would consist of ch5 left / ch6 right.

If you set the analog out to 'direct' you'd get the ch5 input on the ch5 output, the ch6 input on the ch6 output (regardless of monitor panning or levels), and 5 & 6 on the digital out, panned however you set that in the monitor mix.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:56:06 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline achalsey

« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »
Okay, perfect!  That info is very much appreciated!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2013, 06:10:16 PM »
Not that anybody cares, but I use the simultaneous direct analog outputs at the same time as the monitor mixed/panned digital output to do quick comparisons between 2channel mixdown, 2>5ch matrix decoding, and discrete multichannel playback of my surround recordings.

I patch the direct analog outputs into the 6 channel analog DVD inputs on my home theater receiver/amp and the SPDIF output into a SPDIF input on the same unit.  I can then quickly switch between the two inputs on the receiver using the remote without repatching anything.  I can also switch the surround matrix decoding (Dolby PLIIx, DTS Neo6) in or out for the SPDIF input to compare that against the discrete channel playback.

Pretty cool.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:12:12 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline flicflac

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »
I remember reading somewhere on here that they are selling for around $500 nowadays, but I don't remember where that was.
Can some kind soul provide me with a link? I'd love to get one at this great price!

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2013, 07:51:07 PM »
I remember reading somewhere on here that they are selling for around $500 nowadays, but I don't remember where that was.
Can some kind soul provide me with a link? I'd love to get one at this great price!

From Sonic Sense at $515
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-DR-680-Multi-Channel-Portable-Recorder-DR-680-Extended-Warranty-/171015890654?pt=US_Computer_Recording_Interfaces&hash=item27d15766de

From another seller who is taking best offers and may go to $500 (someone said they did for them):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-DR-680-Portable-Professional-8-Track-Multi-Channel-Recorder-DR680-/261185676543?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Multi_Track_Recorders&hash=item3ccfe124ff
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline flicflac

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2013, 08:02:37 PM »
^^ thank you, sir

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »
What is the most current firmware?

Edit:  I found the updates
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:13:15 AM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline achalsey

« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2013, 06:31:46 PM »
Two more questions if the group would be so kind:

-How do you reset the take number back to 000?

-Does having channels set to "center" as opposed to panned hard right and left for their respective channels change the sound at all?  I record all tracks mono so just having them set to center doesn't effect the stereo image later on correct?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »

Dunno. If there isn't a menu switch for that specifically, there is probably a full reset to factory settings option that probably does that but will also reset any other setting changes you've made. 

-Does having channels set to "center" as opposed to panned hard right and left for their respective channels change the sound at all?  I record all tracks mono so just having them set to center doesn't effect the stereo image later on correct?

Pan settings don't do anything to the individual recorded tracks 1-6.  If you set the machine to record a mix of those channels the extra stereo track, panning and level do control the aspects of that mix.

Offline achalsey

« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2013, 07:14:25 PM »

Dunno. If there isn't a menu switch for that specifically, there is probably a full reset to factory settings option that probably does that but will also reset any other setting changes you've made. 

Pan settings don't do anything to the individual recorded tracks 1-6.  If you set the machine to record a mix of those channels the extra stereo track, panning and level do control the aspects of that mix.

Okay, cool.  Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com