Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R44/4 VS. Tascam DR680  (Read 15812 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Edirol R44/4 VS. Tascam DR680
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 06:19:41 PM »
I'm pretty rough with my DR680. A month ago, I taped in a downpour. Two weeks ago, it was a moshpit. I frequently run it with dvd batteries, and usually forget to load up the aa's. I'm bad with my media--rarely formatting cards. I'm reluctant to say this, since it will most likely jinx me, but the only problem I have EVER had was with an SD card, NEVER with the deck. For me, switching from the R44 to the DR680 has definitely been the right call.

I echo this post 8) ^^^ No special treatment at all.  And I run it in a pretty tight leather bag with no ventilation at all.  I even got two of them. 

Started out with an R-44 and don't get me wrong that deck is a sold performer.  I also think that comparing the R-44 and DR-680 is an apples to oranges comparison.  The 680 can do things that the R-44 will never ever be able to do.  They only "close" comparison is price point. The R-44 is hands down the easiset way to enter the "multitrack" (more than two track) arena.  You can pretty much take it out of the box put batteries in it and record a show without ever looking at the manual.  The thing I did find out in short order after I got my R-44 was the fact I was wanting MORE than four tracks.  The R-44 is sold and when paired with a digital output from a high end preamp and really deliver the goods.  But IMHO the 680 has slightly better pre's and A/d section besides the obvious extra tracks

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 10:35:41 AM »
I pocketed the $500 I didn't spend on a R-44 and pull gold with my DR680...the only issue I've had was user over estimation of remaining Li-ion Battery power and forgetting to put AA's in the base.

Now...could or would I be happy with a R-44...90% or more of the time yes...rarely do I run 6 channels...but I have and loved the result. Is the R-44 easier to run...yes the first few times...Is the R-44 easier to adjust levels - on this point I concur that Yes the R-44 is easier to adjust...is the R-44 lower profile - Yes...do you prefer the meters of the R-44 or DR-680 - well the R-44 is better but eh I do just fine with the DR-680 meters.

On occasion I run into the stock Preamp (I use a Grace V2 usually)...it sounds fine and have ran a whole festival with out the V2 and not sure anyone would know the difference if I had or not.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »
what batteries do you all use with your 680s? and how long do they last?
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

kirk97132

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 07:20:15 PM »
DVD battery depends on the amperage

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 07:22:21 PM »
DVD battery depends on the amperage

does anyone know the  mah draw of these? the second i get mine im going to figure it out
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 09:51:43 AM »
Is the R-44 easier to adjust levels - on this point I concur that Yes the R-44 is easier to adjust...
[snip] ...do you prefer the meters of the R-44 or DR-680 - well the R-44 is better but eh I do just fine with the DR-680 meters.

R-44 gain adjustment is simpler in that you needn't push a button make gain adjustmet, just turn the knobs.
DR-680 is easier to adjust gains across all channels equally and simultaneously while recording- do it with a single knob.

The meters of both are rather crappy but sufficient.  At least the R-44 has indication of dBFS on the meters, yet the DR-680 -16dB line (or is it -18dB, I can't remember) is sufficient to use as a live recording target.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 05:46:56 PM »

I use DVD batteries, but not sure how long they last, as I've never come close to running out. Even with p48 on 4 channels, I can't imagine needing more than 2 batteries for 3 sets of music.
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »

Go to for all but festivals is a Batterygeek 10-14-100 12v fixed 100wh. I run 12hrs and recharge. When I'm at Festivals I have a Tekkeon myPower All Plus MP3450i Instrument Battery for backup...voltage is changed via Dip Switches on this model (never use the Tekkeon with a button to select or auto range) It goes 6-7hrs easy

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline DATPAT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Recovering Gear Slut
    • Mobiltracks-Mobile A/V Recording
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2013, 03:53:32 PM »
I have never used the R-44 but upgraded to a Dr-680 from a R-4, Prior to most recently upgrading to a Zacomm Maxx. I had to have the Dr-680's power components replaced once on my dime ($90). My deck was a few months out of warranty. I would have hoped they'd extended the warranty but they didn't. Ultimately the problem was a result of me removing the power from the deck while it was recording. I don't think removing the power from the deck during operation should have fried the power circuits but it did and i feel the price was justified. Anyway, the point i want to make is that aside from that the deck performed perfectly.  I swear by the little guy because the pre's and A-d Sound Great , and  for the money it definitely packs a punch. I had a problem with the mod's performed by Busman so unfortunately i wouldn't suggest getting your pre's modified but otherwise for the price you can't beat it.
Mic's(pairs) AKG (414's, 391's, Se-10's, )AT 853's, 4050's,BEYER MC 740,Gefell m300's, NEUMANN U89  i's, SKM-140 Set , TLM 170's, 102's, OKTAVA Mk-012 set,319's, SENNHEISER MKH-8050's, Sanken CMS-10, SOUNDFIELD SPS200,ST-250.PROJECTS LSD-2, & C1's,TELFUNKEN Ela 260 Field Set (H,C,O), Copper heads
Decks: Tascam Dr100Mk2,DR-680, HS-P82, Zoom F-8,Fostex LR-16, Mackie SDR 2496
Pre's- Onyx Satallite,  Niaint Littlebox W/OT, Apogee AD -1000, Mini -Me, CoopePSA1
 Video: JVC GV-LS2WE, panasonic FZ-1000
Playback: B& K and Adcom Power Amps and Martin Logan Electrostatic's and Tannoy nearfields
http://www.mobiltracks.net

cashandkerouac

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2013, 03:59:04 PM »
I have never used the R-44 but upgraded to a Dr-680 from a R-4, Prior to most recently upgrading to a Zacomm Maxx. I had to have the Dr-680's power components replaced once on my dime ($90). My deck was a few months out of warranty. I would have hoped they'd extended the warranty but they didn't. Ultimately the problem was a result of me removing the power from the deck while it was recording. I don't think removing the power from the deck during operation should have fried the power circuits but it did and i feel the price was justified. Anyway, the point i want to make is that aside from that the deck performed perfectly.  I swear by the little guy because the pre's and A-d Sound Great , and  for the money it definitely packs a punch. I had a problem with the mod's performed by Busman so unfortunately i wouldn't suggest getting your pre's modified but otherwise for the price you can't beat it.

What problem(s) did you have with the Busman modded version?  I had two Busman modded DR680 recorders and had power issues with both.  I never attributed the problem to the mod, so I'm curious to get more info.  thanks.   

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com