Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MicroTrak - F'in POS - Or Defective Unit?  (Read 6300 times)

Offline sickrick43

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
MicroTrak - F'in POS - Or Defective Unit?
« on: December 08, 2005, 11:45:11 PM »

Just got my 24/96 in from Oade...

Flashed it with 1.2.0 immediately.  Brandy-new Kingston 4GB Elite Pro card...

Must be a defective unit.  Intermittantly won't connect via USB port, when it does, it drops right offline when you try to access the device.  Backlight flickers when handling the device (loose connection, bad solder joints?).  Won't record off the spdif at ANY bitrate/depth off the V3.

Gonna call Doug in the AM and get another one shipped out.  If this is the state of the M-Audio, maybe it's not time to retire the JB3 yet.  I LOATHE to spend the $$ on the 722, but if this is the only small, lower cost option for 24 bit recording, i am NOT IMPRESSED...

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: MicroTrak - F'in POS - Or Defective Unit?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 06:44:07 AM »

Just got my 24/96 in from Oade...

Flashed it with 1.2.0 immediately.  Brandy-new Kingston 4GB Elite Pro card...

Must be a defective unit.  Intermittantly won't connect via USB port, when it does, it drops right offline when you try to access the device.  Backlight flickers when handling the device (loose connection, bad solder joints?).  Won't record off the spdif at ANY bitrate/depth off the V3.

Gonna call Doug in the AM and get another one shipped out.  If this is the state of the M-Audio, maybe it's not time to retire the JB3 yet.  I LOATHE to spend the $$ on the 722, but if this is the only small, lower cost option for 24 bit recording, i am NOT IMPRESSED...

Rick

sounds like you got a bunk one Rick. 
I'm holding off buying one until they fix two key issues for me:
   Auto split at 2 gigs
   24/96 digi in recording is stable

When/if they fix that I'm all over this little box.

Personally, I'd be happy with 48/24 for starters.  Was even considering picking up a pair of "stealthy" mics (much as I hate stealthing).  May even consider an IPAQ, and attempting to ressurect the PDAudioCF card that I bought from Len (which was purchased for my LapTop and never worked - thanks for staying up on those drivers Len).

Crying shame that no one has really "closed the deal" yet, and put out a box/system that actually does what it claims to do.  The JB3 is the only one that comes close, and you can be sure it wasn't Creatives intent for it to be a tapers unit...

I'll get Doug to ship me another one, and go from there.  I'd hoped to have this stable enough for my CodeTalkers run next week...

Rick

Other complaints/observations -

1 - The thing's been on "charge" for 12 hours, and still doesn't show complete.
2 - The spdif in plug doesn't have enough clearance for the nice "Monster" digi cable to fit.  Have to go with my "home made"  75 Ohm Coax cable with the Gold Ends (resurrected from my D10 Pro rig).
3 - USB/Power & spdif port are "uncomfortably close".  Then again, for such a tiny unit - I expect the connectors to be pretty jammed together.

Again, not really too impressed - but I WOULD BE if the thing just did what it claims (or just worked in the first place for that matter).  I guess I can use the 4GB cards I now own in my camera if this doesn't work out...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 06:53:15 AM by sickrick43 »
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 07:41:31 AM »
OK - some additional observations...

1 - USB cable that came with the unit was BAD - plugged in another new cable and it now connects to the PC fine.

2 - Didn't like my nice coax cable, but recorded 48/24 with the Monster Gold Ends cable from my VCR (go figure).

3 - Soundforge 6 doesn't like the files created with this unit.  Wavelab 5 does.  Guess I'll install SF 8 and see if that makes a difference.

So right now the only "real" issue is the flickering backlight.  I'll get Doug to ship me another.  Make (or buy) a new digi cable.

I'll go out and "field test" this unit tonight...

Rick

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 09:24:45 AM »
hey rick, just be patient, i think you'll be happy in time.  the bugs just need to work themselves out.

i had no problem with my files in SF8.

good luck with your field testing.  it might be worth it to bring out the jb3 and just run a truncated signal to it for a backup.  just incase.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 11:35:26 AM »
agree with Ed, definitely run backup.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 04:15:17 PM »
3 - Soundforge 6 doesn't like the files created with this unit.  Wavelab 5 does.  Guess I'll install SF 8 and see if that makes a difference.

This is a known problem.  The file size listed in the WAV header is not the actual file size.  There is some extra garbage at the end of the file.  CoolEdit, Adobe Audition, will still work with the file.  Pull it into CDWave and it will offer to fix the file for you.  Definitely work-arounds available.

Good luck.  I'm taking mine to Hot F'ing Tuna tonight.

-Rick (not that one but the other one)
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 05:33:21 PM »

3 - USB/Power & spdif port are "uncomfortably close".  Then again, for such a tiny unit - I expect the connectors to be pretty jammed together.

take a swiss army knife and shave off some of the extra plastic on the mini-USB end.  easy to do, and you can get it so that the USB and S/PDIF don't touch at all.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 05:47:30 PM »
there are other options rick, the tascam HD-P2 is their new flash card writer and the marantz PMD-671 is another, already proven reliabel(somewhat), recoprder
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 07:11:55 PM »
It sounds like you've just got a bum unit Rick. I couldn't be happier with mine. (running V3>MT Kingston 4GB @24/44.1-24/48)  When you get the new one, charge it before you do the firmware upgrade.

Oh yeah. Go to Rat shack and get a 90 degree RCA adapter, then you'll be able to use your fatty cable.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 07:13:44 PM by L Ron Hoover »

Offline ajprog

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 08:26:41 PM »
All files recorded on my MT work fine in Soundforge 6

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 08:47:33 PM »
Oh yeah. Go to Rat shack and get a 90 degree RCA adapter, then you'll be able to use your fatty cable.

But wouldn't that defeat the entire point of using a nice cable? Running it through a crappy Radio Shack connector?

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 10:59:14 PM »
rick-
try getting a custom digi cable from ToddR for the MT2496.  you can get a right angle for the digi-in & should be very pleased.
it does sound like you got a problematic MT2496 tho
I recorded fine 24/48 last week digi in from V3, so dont give up your hopes yet!

CDWave does notice the header size & fixes it with no problem...Wavelab doesnt even pop an error message but it works out fine. 
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 12:13:09 AM »

Thanks for the replies folks...

Got it pretty much ironed out.  Doug is shipping me a new one (to take care of the flickering backlight).

Picked up a high quality (yeah right) 3' dubbing cable from RatShack (video & toslink - ripped the toslink cable off).
Got in 2 of the Digital Concepts LIon batt's. 
Just need to hack a mini-b 4 pin USB cable for the power & I'm set. 

Thing appears to record fine from spdif 48/24 - so this should do the trick for the soon-to-be-retired JB3.  Gonna try it out on some "throw-aways" this weekend to see how it runs.  With an Oade line-mod on the input, this would probably do very acceptable stealth jobs.  Looks like a pair of CCM4/MK4's might be in my near future...

Rick

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 11:50:37 AM »
just FWIW-
remember to check for channel flipping, mine was flipping L-R whenever recording at 24 bit.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 01:14:31 PM »
Rick,

What exactly is the mod to the Microtrack? 

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2005, 01:23:45 PM »
just FWIW-
remember to check for channel flipping, mine was flipping L-R whenever recording at 24 bit.

doing some more 'sperimenting...

Only flips channels 48/24, records normally at other bitrates/depth.  Also appears to record stable at 88.2/24, though filesize restictions only give you an hour at that rate/depth.  88.2 sounds like it might be interesting, though Oade seems to think anything higher than 48/24 is pretty much a waste.

I'm gonna try and run this 48/24 @ Brian Stoltz tonight, just for laughs.  Got my batteries in, got my mod'd power cable, and digi cable.  Shaved a bunch off the mini-b end of the power cable (which I soldered without burining myself - 30 years as an electronics tech, and I STILL hate to solder) to clear the RCA connector.  Doug suggests popping the cover and drilling out the spdif hole a little larger to clear the larger monster-style connectors.

Funny, he (Doug) won't do bench work anymore (and I need to find someplace to send my 3700 & D-10 Pro out to), but he's planning on mod'ing these.  Nice to have him on the order line though, - you could never get him on the phone when he was back in the shop...

Rick

Dan - I didn't get into great detail with Doug what the planned mods were.  I'd assume it's a line-input variety he's planning.  Putting better caps & a quieter IC in there would likely lower the noise floor a great deal...

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2005, 02:26:35 PM »

Funny, he (Doug) won't do bench work anymore (and I need to find someplace to send my 3700 & D-10 Pro out to), but he's planning on mod'ing these.  Nice to have him on the order line though, - you could never get him on the phone when he was back in the shop...

Have no worries. Paul at Pro-Digital will fix those decks right up for you.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com