Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: putting switches on the DIY digimod(UA5)?  (Read 6392 times)

Offline Willie T.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
    • My Site (down), well sometimes it is.
putting switches on the DIY digimod(UA5)?
« on: November 05, 2003, 12:58:07 PM »
Has anybody tried putting switches on the DIY digimod?  Here is the pic of the DIY:
http://ca.geocities.com/dkleined@rogers.com/audio/UA5/ModifyUA5.htm
I was thinking about wiring/soldering 2 wires for the "cut" to a simple on/off switch, and wiring/soldering 2 wires to another on/off switch for the digital out.  Finding a way to mount them (one inverted, so that they both were either up or down (respectivly always one on and one off) ) maybe on the back of the case.  Does anybody see anything wrong with my logic here?  Would longer stretches of wire cause any signal loss?  I am willing to try it out in the next day or two if my logic isn't faulty.  Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 10:57:17 PM by Brian Skalinder »
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re:putting switches on the DIY digimod(UA5)?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 01:15:42 PM »
I've thought of doing this myself too, so i researched it.

I saw a thread were Doug Oade commented on this. He said there was a strong possiblity of adding noise to the circuit because of were the splice is and where the switch would have to be.  

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 03:10:22 PM »
Thanks for the info....I will open it up and look at it again tonight and see what the shortest possible stretch is.  I will let you know if i go for it, and how well it works.  Thanks again.
"Man or woman, if you aren't getting laid, you're being too picky. You just have to find that delicate balance between personal satisfaction and shame." -- Teabag

Offline utahtaper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 08:59:31 PM »
I thought about it too but I would agree that it would add noise. The solder joints have to be done very clean and pretty. If the joint is sloppy on the jumper wire there is definitely added noise.
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Tascam DA30MKII DAT player
Jolida Tube CD player

Sota Saphire w/grado TLZ> Melos 333> Melos 400 monoblocks> Legacy Focus

Mcintosh MR71>c22>MC60 monoblocks

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 02:37:42 PM »
I don't know what the tolerances are for running that digital signal around but in terms of which wires to keep short, I'd go with the jumper that runs from the ADC.  The USB controller might be the better choice for the longer wiring - that way if there are any noise effects, they'll occur on USB playback and not your standalone recording.

Also, you want a DPDT switch - it can simulataneously turn one off while turning the other on.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Willie T.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Namaste
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 03:03:39 PM »
Thanks for all the info, I think I am going to hold off a little while on doing it.  

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 03:19:23 PM »
Yeah I hear ya.  No problem to wire a switch on the jumper but getting to the traces by the USB controller (to solder wires for a switch) is pretty hairy huh?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com