Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mastering tips?  (Read 3358 times)

Offline jjazzfusion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mastering tips?
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:53:33 AM »
Does anyone have any tips or advice they can offer on mastering live recordings. I'm currently using Soundforge 10.0 (graphic EQ, normalize, resample/bitrate, track split)
Is there a better way? My recordings usually need more treble (highs), since my CSB binaurals make the recordings bassy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Re: Mastering tips?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »
My 2 cents, stick with what you know and get good at it. I use Audacity, and have tried a couple other DAWs. In the end, I'm comfortable with Audacity, know how to do what I need and can do it quickly. Plus, when I have questions, someone here usually has an answer.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »
Make sure the monitoring you use with your editing system is as good as possible (neutral and balanced) and set up optimally.  It is the filter through which everything passes and will effect all the choices you make, for better or worse.  Listen on as many different systems as possible, and on different days, before deciding which choices are good and which are not.  Usually that is the only way to work with confidence when using monitoring setups that ordinary mortals can afford and/or live with.

As for what to do, EQ is the most useful and powerful tool, and effects the aspect of sound for which we are most sensitive.  Put your primary manipulation efforts there.

But always remember that your choices (EQ or otherwise) can only ever be as good as what you can hear, even if you have a good grasp on what you are doing.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 02:50:50 PM »
when mastering, I will almost always avoid EQ since I don't have any fantastic EQ plugins. Limiters and sometimes Multi-band compressors are more useful to me most of the time. You could use a multi-band comp to tackle the bass vs treble issues without eq, for instance.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

ilduclo

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 02:57:29 PM »
be sure to save your original without the mastering.

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 11:20:12 PM »
You might try cutting with a low shelf instead of the high frequency boost.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

adrianf74

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 11:35:56 PM »
Much of it's already been said in this thread but I'll repeat the ones I find important.

- *ALWAYS* keep a copy of your original recorded file.  In fact, I usually FLAC the original file and then create MD5 and FFP's for it as a checksum later on.   
- If you're really paranoid, keep a SECOND copy of your original file and mastered work ideally somewhere else "just in case" of a fire/flood/drive failure/etc.
- There are no "dead set" rules as to what you do or how you do it.  My "mastering" generally involves level balancing, slight EQ'ing (usually rolling off some bass starting around 120 or 90Hz and sometimes a slight bump at 800Hz through 1.5kHz) and some very slight limiting to the overall-file.  Some people may dog me for doing this but if you know what you're doing you won't mess with the file that much and will make it a little more consistent.
- Use whaetver DAW you feel most comfortable with.  I like to use Audition 3.01 still because I grew up on Cool Edit Pro over the years and feel most comfortable with it.
- Use the best monitoring you can and listen on multiple systems and both and without headphones before you finalize your settings.  I usually bounce my file between my HTPC and laptop about five to ten times before I'm "happy."   I know more or less where I want my settings so this gives me a good starting point.
- When tracking, I usually find it easiest to do this in CDWave and then take those files into Trader's Little Helper to make the FFP/MD5 files for ensuring the file copies correctly.

Hopefully some of this helped...

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 11:45:54 PM »
IMO, the only way to do it is to just start experimenting. Learn what frequencies involve which instruments.
Please read these articles, as they will let you know what frequencies apply to what instruments. I LOVE THESE!!!!!!
http://www.mikfielding.com/EQ_Sound_Frequencies.shtml
http://terrydownsmusic.com/technotes/Frequencies/FREQ.HTM

CHECK OUT THIS INTERACTIVE CHART. SUPER SWEET
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

be sure to save your original without the mastering.
This.
I have just started experimenting with light handed eq. The best part with all the programs is nothing is ever finalized
until YOU make it that way. Meaning, you can easily listen to your work and compare before/after changes with a click of a button.
I always use headphones.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:47:45 PM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com