Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Returning to Taping: DPA MMA-A > iPhone > Then what?  (Read 7461 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Returning to Taping: DPA MMA-A > iPhone > Then what?
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2023, 03:34:34 PM »
Right, so purely speculative...

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2023, 03:47:22 PM »
well yeah, based on specs and the common understanding that lower voltage reduces max spl i dont think thats a stretch

assuming this mic that wants 3V would work any better with a 2-2.5V PIP vs a 4061that wants 5V is also completely speculative, absent actual testing.

just saying anybody who invests in these thinking it will work better with those inputs, should understand that at present that is an untested combination.

And even if they worked completely to 3V-powered spec will still never handle the SPL a 4061 can, per DPA's own spec

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2023, 03:57:31 PM »
well yeah, based on specs and the common understanding that lower voltage reduces max spl i dont think thats a stretch

assuming this mic that wants 3V would work any better with a 2-2.5V PIP vs a 4061that wants 5V is also completely speculative, absent actual testing.

just saying anybody who invests in these thinking it will work better with those inputs, should understand that at present that is an untested combination.

And even if they worked completely to 3V-powered spec will still never handle the SPL a 4061 can, per DPA's own spec

Even by the specs, the difference in SPL handling isn't so huge. 10% is a lot. The 1% numbers (I think max SPL is usually spec'ed at either 0.5% or 1%) are a lot closer (no difference for the legacy and 2 dB for the core). Not a real concern anyway, unless you are close mic'ing a pretty loud instrument.

Not untested. Presumably, DPA tested it. Sure, manufacturers aren't always completely honest, but probably more reliable than "some dude speculating on the internet".

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2023, 04:05:51 PM »
i dont recall having that opinion before i had one so perhaps i did test it when i got it and it didnt do what i expected, thats neither here nor there

i will stand with my original point that i dont "think" and "am not convinced" it works any better with PIP input. something that DPA certainly did not test as none of the handheld recorders have 3V. No tapers are using the 3-5V transmitters they were designed for, so as of now... that setup is most certainly untested

ill tell ya what... i have a 4063 (several hundred dollars). why dont you pony up $19 for the 3.3V SP dongle mentioned earlier in the thread so some dudes on the internet can generate a real test?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 04:12:21 PM by breakonthru »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2023, 04:26:29 PM »
i dont recall having that opinion before i had one so perhaps i did test it when i got it and it didnt do what i expected, thats neither here nor there

i will stand with my original point that i dont "think" and "am not convinced" it works any better with PIP input. something that DPA certainly did not test as none of the handheld recorders have 3V. No tapers are using the 3-5V transmitters they were designed for, so as of now... that setup is most certainly untested

ill tell ya what... i have a 4063 (several hundred dollars). why dont you pony up $19 for the 3.3V SP dongle mentioned earlier in the thread so some dudes on the internet can generate a real test?

Well, the reasonably popular MixPre recorders from SD spec 3V on the 3.5 mm input. The PMD620 is somewhere between 3 and 5.

"ill tell ya what": you're the one speculating on the web. Why don't you convince everyone that DPA is full of crap and internet speculation guy is right?

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2023, 04:36:00 PM »
I'm not sure why you're responding in such a hostile manner. i never asserted DPA is "full of crap" or even that their specs were at all erroneous, thats quite an odd thing to make up. ill repeat what i said, for clarity:

"not really convinced it works any better with the common 2-2.5V PIP than the 5V versions at a given SPL"

none of the recorders you mention are anything like the ones i mentioned, the discussion was entirely about using 4063s with handheld/stealthable recorders with PIP under 3V, not those bricks. was talking about the A10/R07/DR2D/R09/LS10, etc

im sure those mics work to spec with the 3-5 V PIP in the large recorders you mentioned, but that's pretty immaterial to the discussion we were having

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2023, 05:24:33 PM »
Well, immaterial to the discussion you are having...

I am not being hostile. All I wanted to know is if you had anything to support your assertion or if it was purely speculative. The answer is pretty clear.

Any evidence to support that or just shooting from the hip?

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2023, 05:46:15 PM »
This dialogue sure reminds me of someone else. 

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2023, 07:38:56 PM »

eh just garden variety trolling, esp harping on the same thing after i told him three times it was speculation

no harm, no foul, heres a test with an A10

the L/R channel test was 4063core on the left channel while 4061 legacy on the right, using a microdot Y to 1/8" stereo adapter. the 4063 performed admirably

the single channel test was a 4060 core that was already wired to miniplug

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2023, 07:51:18 PM »
another test with a sony voice recorder that i believe is 2.2V? id have to measure

complete fail on the 4063

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2023, 08:31:15 PM »

eh just garden variety trolling, esp harping on the same thing after i told him three times it was speculation

You know who/what I am talking about. 

Offline breakonthru

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2023, 09:20:28 PM »
No interest in whatever that is.

Here's M10. Some slight asymmetry in 4061 but more or less same as 4063

Offline Grimod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2024, 09:16:37 PM »
What's the current status of efforts to get the DPA MMA-A working with an iPhone 15?

Thanks
I make iPhone 15 videos, for which I use the following as needed:

Headphones: Sennheiser HD 25, Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro
Mike pairs: Schoeps omnidirectional MK2, Schoeps supercardiod MK41, DPA miniature 4060
Shock & wind protection: Cinela
Recorders: Sound Devices 702T, MixPre-3, MixPre-6 II
Sound/picture sync: Tentacle Sync E timecode generator
Software: Blackmagic Camera app for iPhone, iZotope RX, Logic Pro

Offline flysquirrel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Jason Isbell Collection
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2024, 09:52:58 AM »
I have a partial answer to the "What's the current status of efforts to get the DPA MMA-A working with an iPhone 15?" answer.

I have an MMA and use it regularly with my iPhone 13.  This week a buddy of mine let me play with his new iPhone 15.  Here is what I learned.

A standard USB Micro to USB C cable connected between the MMA and the iPhone 15 did not allow the DPA app to see the MMA device.  The DPA app was basically locked out and no controls worked.  However, when I then launched the Shure MoTiv app that app did register the MMA device and the mics plugged in.  That set up though uses the default mic pre settings on the DPA app, so the gain was by default set way too high for a high SPL concert recording.

I tried the same test using my regular DPA cable and a lightning to USB C adaptor.  Exact same results.  The DPA app didn't see the MMA, and therefore I could make gain changes, select filter presets, or engage the filters.  But again, downstream, the Shure Motiv app recognized the external USB device and I was able to make a clean recording.  Unfortunately though, the gain is set to high in the DPA app by default for this to be a workable solution.

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2024, 10:13:47 AM »
if you set the gain lower and turn off the low cut, and then plug it into the iphone 15, do the settings stick?
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com