Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744 help  (Read 3067 times)

Offline phishtaper4v

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
744 help
« on: December 29, 2005, 08:58:55 AM »
Hey, I just recorded 4 tracks to my 474, but i can't seem to open the flies because no software i have supports it...I would like to extrack the 4 channels as their own...any ideas? thanks, John

Offline jimmyrow

• Uploader Slowpokerus
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 190 Years of Athletic Mediocrity
Re: 744 help
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 09:14:55 AM »
Hey, I just recorded 4 tracks to my 474, but i can't seem to open the flies because no software i have supports it...I would like to extrack the 4 channels as their own...any ideas? thanks, John

The first time I used mine, I had to play back the files just like doing a DAT-> PC transfer (i.e real time) to extract the two sources.  Not very efficient at all.   You'll just have to setup your software to recognize the 24/96 file coming in and you'll have to get into the 744T menu to playback tracks A/B and then C/D from the digital output.

The easiest thing to do going forward is to record the four tracks in "wav mono" format and combine the tracks as you need in post production after moving the files from the 744T.   This can be done in your choice of software (Soundforge, Wavelab, etc.)

Hope this helps.....have fun with your new toy!

Jim
I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read.

Offline phishtaper4v

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 09:25:41 AM »
so there is no way to open these poly wave files in a program so I can see all tracks?

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 10:17:42 AM »
you can open in wavelab and split the stereo files to mono files

soundforge has a similar feature.

on wavelab...choose tools...and then autosplit...

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 10:22:14 AM »
so there is no way to open these poly wave files in a program so I can see all tracks?

To do this you need a multi-track application. That can be something from the free world (Audacity), to $$$ like Logic, Digital Performer, or Pro Tools (there are others).

You might have better luck though breaking up the 4 channel broadcast wav files. To do this, use Fostex's free utility BWF Manager (http://www.fostexdvd.net/fxdvd_route/docs/techsup/bwf_manager_1.htm). This allows you to split the file up into mono tracks. It's a great tool and every 744T, Deva, and other multi-channel equipment user should not be without this utility.

If you have specific questions, let me know. I don't own the 744, but my Deva IV uses the same BWF format for files, so I should be able to help you.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 12:05:56 PM »
unless you can specifically set the output to BWF files on the 744, the 4ch WAV are not BWF compatable.  i used audacity and it worked well.

free download.  it will open the 4ch WAV files and then you can simply select the two that you 'don't want' and then re-save the file with the approriate filename.

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 12:07:54 PM »
you can open in wavelab and split the stereo files to mono files

soundforge has a similar feature.

on wavelab...choose tools...and then autosplit...

i'm almost 100% certain that this will not work in wavelab as i tried and tried.
if you do what is suggested here, you will be merging two stereo files down to a mono file, not really what i think you had in mind.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 12:22:19 PM »
unless you can specifically set the output to BWF files on the 744, the 4ch WAV are not BWF compatable. 

Huh? That's what they are suppose to be; broadcast wav files. That is how the guys in Hollywood are using them. I know Telecine ain't working with these files unless they are in that format. Are you sure they aren't BWF files?

Wayne

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 12:42:53 PM »
unless you can specifically set the output to BWF files on the 744, the 4ch WAV are not BWF compatable. 

Huh? That's what they are suppose to be; broadcast wav files. That is how the guys in Hollywood are using them. I know Telecine ain't working with these files unless they are in that format. Are you sure they aren't BWF files?

Wayne

Just opened a file (from 722, dunno the settings related to bwf off the top of my head) in the bwf manager and it seems to recognize everything fine but the "convert" button is greyed out. 
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 12:57:51 PM »

Wayne

well this is what experience i've had.

the 744 can output in two different manners, as 1 WAV file with 4 channels, all compressed into the one file
the second, being more common, is to output to 4 mono files and pick and choose as you like to form stereo pairs.

i had a set of the first example, 1 WAV file (with 4 ch) and when I tried using the BWF I didn't get anywhere.  it came up as an unrecognizable format.  althought when i used audacity i could see all 4ch and was easily able to split accordingly.  this is my first time messing with multi-track files, but i am very positive about my results, since nothing else worked.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure you can output BWF files, but it isn't the default/stnd format.  so then the question back to the original poster is what format is your device set to record?

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 01:17:26 PM »
the 744 can output in two different manners, as 1 WAV file with 4 channels, all compressed into the one file
the second, being more common, is to output to 4 mono files and pick and choose as you like to form stereo pairs.

These would be either mono BWF files or poly BWF files.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure you can output BWF files, but it isn't the default/stnd format.  so then the question back to the original poster is what format is your device set to record?

I took a quick glance at the 744T manual that was online and they (SD) state that they ARE BWF files. You can name them .wav or .bwf, but the file is identical with the broadcast wav chunck being tacked onto the header of each file. Why Fostex's utility doesn't work with them, I'm not sure, but these are according to Sound Devices broadcast wav files, regardless of what file extension is placed on them.

-=-=--=-=-=
EDIT --- Here is the exact verbage from the manual

Audio File Formats

The 744T records audio to the industry-standard Broadcast Wave file format, either monophonic or
polyphonic. Files can be named with either a .WAV or a .BWF extension.

WAV / BWF
The 744T writes AES-31 BWF-formatted fi les. The fi lename extension is user-selectable between
.WAV or .BWF. Users wishing to record “standard” wave fi les should select the .WAV extension.

There is no difference between generated with WAV or BWF extensions except for the extension name.

The audio files created by the 744T place additional information in the file header, called the Broadcast
Audio Extension data chunk. Software that does not recognize this additional broadcast wave
data chunk will simply ignore this added information.

=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Wayne
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 03:34:13 PM by wbrisette »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com