Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Male Stereo Mini Pinout  (Read 9354 times)

cmoorevt

• Trade Count: (0)
Male Stereo Mini Pinout
« on: February 21, 2007, 08:02:13 PM »
I'm about to solder some stereo mini plugs.  There is a sleeve and then a right post and a left post.  Looking at the rear of the plug from where the cable would enter, I'm assuming that the left post is the tip and the right post is the ring?  The only thing throwing me is that the left post is somewhat copper in color and the right post and sleeve are both silver.  I'd always figured if any post would be red it would be the ring (Red-Right-Ring).

Anyone have any experience soldering these?

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Male Stereo Mini Pinout
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 02:30:29 AM »
Tip | Ring | Sleeve (plug body)

Tip: left, Ring: right

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 09:48:38 AM »
I'm about to solder some stereo mini plugs.  There is a sleeve and then a right post and a left post.  Looking at the rear of the plug from where the cable would enter, I'm assuming that the left post is the tip and the right post is the ring?  The only thing throwing me is that the left post is somewhat copper in color and the right post and sleeve are both silver.  I'd always figured if any post would be red it would be the ring (Red-Right-Ring).

Anyone have any experience soldering these?

The post that is attached to the center of the plug is always the tip. the other post that seems to be attached to the base around the center post is always the ring.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

cmoorevt

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 10:24:59 AM »
Thank you both. 

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 06:42:43 AM »
new question,

if i was wanting to go stereo RCA's to 1/8" stereo, how would it be connected?  the scenario is client wants to listen to the tv's out via headphones on the other side of the room.  i have run 2pr individually shielded cable.

thanks
we all live downstream.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 09:05:24 AM »
new question,

if i was wanting to go stereo RCA's to 1/8" stereo, how would it be connected?  the scenario is client wants to listen to the tv's out via headphones on the other side of the room.  i have run 2pr individually shielded cable.

thanks

Yes you do. Unless he wants his TV in mono. Some people dont care. In that case you can use a single cable. You can also use a balanced mic cable and "cheat" using the two center conductors as left and right, its not ideal but it will work then you would have to make a Y connector at the other end.

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 04:59:20 PM »
new question,

thanks

Yes you do. Unless he wants his TV in mono. Some people dont care. In that case you can use a single cable. You can also use a balanced mic cable and "cheat" using the two center conductors as left and right, its not ideal but it will work then you would have to make a Y connector at the other end.

chris thanks for the reply.  i was hoping for some info on how to terminate the cable on the 1/8" end.  i have already run the 2pr individually shielded cable.  just confused at the what to connect to what.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 05:07:19 PM »
new question,

thanks

chris thanks for the reply.  i was hoping for some info on how to terminate the cable on the 1/8" end.  i have already run the 2pr individually shielded cable.  just confused at the what to connect to what.

jr

Ok if you have two unbalanced lines coming to your 3.5 mm stereo jack If I understand you correctly. You have to run both cables into the stereo jack both sets of shield wires will tie together and the center conductors will go to the tip and ring of the mini connector. I cant tell you what one is left or right because sadly there is no real standard that I am aware of. So the best that you can do is try and find documentation on the 3.5 mm input jack your connecting it too. I wish I could be of more help, if your stuck Pm me with the make and model number and I will try and help find that info out for you.

Chris

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 05:53:45 PM »
thanks chris, i'll follow up from onsite.
we all live downstream.

Offline cmoorevt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 03:19:18 PM »
3 year bump...

I have another set of female stereo mini plugs.  Because of the way the plug is designed, it is impossible to determine which post is connected to the center and which is connected to the base around the center.  The only difference between the two posts is that one is rounded at the end and the other is squared at the end. 

Any thoughts on which is the tip and which is the ring?

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 05:33:16 PM »
3 year bump...

I have another set of female stereo mini plugs.  Because of the way the plug is designed, it is impossible to determine which post is connected to the center and which is connected to the base around the center.  The only difference between the two posts is that one is rounded at the end and the other is squared at the end. 

Is it a neutrik or rean?  If so, the rounded is left & the squared is ring.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 06:10:39 PM »
3 year bump...

Do you have a multimeter? Try using the continuity function to find out.
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline cmoorevt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 06:25:55 PM »

Rean.   Thanks, Ted.

As an aside, have you noticed any difference in between the Rean and the regular Neutrik connectors? 

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 11:10:26 PM »

Rean.   Thanks, Ted.

As an aside, have you noticed any difference in between the Rean and the regular Neutrik connectors?

Asian letters on the packaging  :P
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com