Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Some Beyerdynamic MV-100 issues with my audix mics  (Read 4253 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Some Beyerdynamic MV-100 issues with my audix mics
« on: April 24, 2005, 10:14:45 AM »
Hi All,

Last night i taped a small act in Staten Island with my audix mics and the preamp brickwalled like crazy on me.  It kept reading that the batteries were low (which they were not, they were fresh batts).  Once the band took a short break, the battery light went to green and only went back to red (low power) when they started playing and the damn preamp was brickwalling again.  However, on the second half of the gig i moved the mics away from a stack and even though the preamps lights kept lighting up for overloading, the sound was ok (not distorted).  So, what i was wondering is if the audix mics run hot (if thats possible for a mic) and i guess i'm in the market for a stealthy preamp, i'm willing to spend $500 on new or used.  I think that auto 20db gain is the culprit and would like to get a preamp that can turn off the gain if necessary.  Thanks for any input! 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Some Beyerdynamic MV-100 issues with my audix mics
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 10:35:37 AM »
I used to run the beyer with mg210s and experienced this exact same issue because of the beyer min gain of 20dB. Since you'll be stealthing, -10dB pads aren't the answer you're looking for so I would try to find another pre with variable gain (mp-2, psp-3, sax) or a power supply like the ps-2.

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 11:11:55 AM »
i would recommend the mixpre or fp-24, they don't have the automatic gain of 16db that the mp-2 does.  And yes audix's do run hot if I remember correctly.
mics & cameras

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 11:15:34 AM »
i would recommend the mixpre or fp-24, they don't have the automatic gain of 16db that the mp-2 does. And yes audix's do run hot if I remember correctly.

the mp2 doesnt have automatic gain of 16db unless you are running out of the xlrs...the mini out is 6db...having stealthed wtih the mp2, that would be a good get

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 11:15:46 AM »
you get what you pay for :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 12:47:11 PM »
i would recommend the mixpre or fp-24, they don't have the automatic gain of 16db that the mp-2 does. And yes audix's do run hot if I remember correctly.

the mp2 doesnt have automatic gain of 16db unless you are running out of the xlrs...the mini out is 6db...having stealthed wtih the mp2, that would be a good get

shit forgot bout that part.  Oh yeah downside with the mixpre is unlike the mp-2 the meters cannot be turned off.  Nothing that black tape cannot solve.
mics & cameras

Offline George

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 01:57:39 PM »
you get what you pay for :P

I bought it used, so you're right   :P

Guys, thanks for all the tips, i'll go do a comparison of all the models you guys included and decide asap.  The beyer does sound nice with the at mics...maybe i'll just keep it as a back up for those mics so i can do comparisons   :o :D

Besides Sonicsense, are their any other trustworthy sites i can check out for shopping?  Thanks for all input and +T's all around...even you Tim  ;)

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 02:31:26 PM »
Guys, thanks for all the tips, i'll go do a comparison of all the models you guys included and decide asap.

FYI, the Shure FP24 is a re-branded Sound Devices MixPre.  And IMO the Sound Devices MP2, MixPre, and Shure FP24 all sound the same to my ears and no need to compare all three against one another or other pres.

I think you'll have a tough time finding a Sax for $500, and even the PSP2 or PSP3 are a little higher cost than your budget. So if you want to stick with a strict budget of $500, I don't know of a better stealthy pre than the MP2 / MixPre / FP24.  There are at least two MP2s in the Yard Sale - no point in buying new!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 02:37:02 PM »
Dan at Dale Pro Audio and Frank from Cascade media have NEVER done me wrong.  great companies.  It seems like i never have to look past either of those guys for my needs.

full compass has lots of stuff as well for good prices.  Got some pretty nice quotes from them as well.

Offline George

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 02:44:22 PM »
Guys, thanks for all the tips, i'll go do a comparison of all the models you guys included and decide asap.

FYI, the Shure FP24 is a re-branded Sound Devices MixPre.  And IMO the Sound Devices MP2, MixPre, and Shure FP24 all sound the same to my ears and no need to compare all three against one another or other pres.

I think you'll have a tough time finding a Sax for $500, and even the PSP2 or PSP3 are a little higher cost than your budget. So if you want to stick with a strict budget of $500, I don't know of a better stealthy pre than the MP2 / MixPre / FP24.  There are at least two MP2s in the Yard Sale - no point in buying new!

Cool, thanks for saving me the pain of comparing models that are equal.  Buying used is definitely a good way of saving a buck....or two   ;)

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline George

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 05:18:15 PM »

Hey Brian, thanks again for your input, i just purchased for a used mp-2 in the yard sale forum  ;D

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 12:30:58 AM »
Is it possible the MV-100 could not deliver enough current on the phantom supply.  Did I read somewhere that the Audix mics are real power suckers?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 12:47:24 AM »
Is it possible the MV-100 could not deliver enough current on the phantom supply.  Did I read somewhere that the Audix mics are real power suckers?

Could be, but I doubt it.  The MV100 overloads fairly easily with loud PA taping.  It overloads at the output (given its 20db minimum gain), not at the input.  I had the same problem running my km184s with my MV100.  For mics that have a -10db pad, it's a good idea to use it with the mv100.  Otherwise you can use attenuator cables between it and the mics.  Or mod the MV100 to have less gain.  I modded mine to have something like 12db/18db/28db rather than 20/40/60.  It worked great after that.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 01:07:53 AM »
Hi All,However, on the second half of the gig i moved the mics away from a stack and even though the preamps lights kept lighting up for overloading, the sound was ok (not distorted).

The MV100 peak lights come on at -6dB before clipping, so it's very possible to slam the reds and make a tape with no preamp distortion.

Or mod the MV100 to have less gain.  I modded mine to have something like 12db/18db/28db rather than 20/40/60.  It worked great after that.
Looks like a good idea. . . esp if your mics have no pads!  ;)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 10:53:37 AM »
Did I read somewhere that the Audix mics are real power suckers?

yes

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com