Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: to KM-140>Sonosax SX-M2 ... or to KM-140>Grace V2 ...That is the question...  (Read 3439 times)

Offline modmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Hopefully as a front end to the MicroTrack 24-96 line in, if its internal A-D works well -- or possibly with a Mini-Me doing the A-D duty, if the MT 24-96's A-D doesn't quite cut it.

The V2 has been used successfully with the KM-140s for a long time. 

What are your opinions of the Sonosax SX-M2 as the preamp for KM-140's?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 09:14:05 PM by modmike »

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Do you mean the Sonosax SXM2, or the Sound Devices MP2? 2 very different sounding (and definitely differently priced) pre-amps.

The SXM2 sounds really good behind the KM140s...can't say I've ever heard them run with a MP2.

I'd go with the V2 over both to run with Neumanns.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline modmike

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Do you mean the Sonosax SXM2, or the Sound Devices MP2? 2 very different sounding (and definitely differently priced) pre-amps.

The SXM2 sounds really good behind the KM140s...can't say I've ever heard them run with a MP2.

I'd go with the V2 over both to run with Neumanns.

The Sonosax SX-M2.  I'll edit the title for clarity.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 09:14:30 PM by modmike »

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
I used to run 184>V2 and it was a great rig. I love my V2 - it is probably my favorite piece of gear in the rig. It is the one constant, at least. The Sonosax is a great pre - maybe not as clean as the V2 but has a nice sound. Search out a few shows made with each pre and see what you like.
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
I used to run KM140>Sonosax and was very happy with the results.  Really detailed and warm sound.  The few times I tried KM140>V2 the results seemed a little muddy.  The V3 is another story though.  That's a nice combo!

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
or possibly with a Mini-Me doing the A-D duty, if the MT 24-96's A-D doesn't quite cut it.

If you have this option, I would just run 140>MMe or 140>V3, both simple one box solutions with AD conversion that I bet would be superior to using the AD in the microtracker.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
I really loved my KM140 > V3 combo, and in some ways still miss it to this day.  Sounded very smooth and silky to my ears.  Can't speak to the Sax with the KM140s, though.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
I agree...
I ran a lot of mics into my V3 when I had it. the 140s were my 2nd favorite (behind the Soundfield)...
but then again, everything is behind the soundfield IMO.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
I prefer the sax over the V2. Both are fantastic preamps, but for my ear, I love the sax>modSBM1 combo, darker, warmer ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
I use to run 184'S>V2 (&140's for a short bit till I got the 148) and ran the sax once (traded w/ Mr. Dave for the day at MPP so he could run Ronnie's DPA's into the V2).  The sax takes a little getting use to on adj. the gain...I never really thought either lifted my skirt (IYKWIM) I like the MME over both.  Since you didn't mention the V3, I won't go there other than to say as a minority I prefer the MME over the sound of the V3.

peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
Re: to KM-140>Sonosax SX-M2 ... or to KM-140>Grace V2 ...That is the question...
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2005, 12:56:42 AM »
the Sonosax and V2 are both great units, the Sax is smaller, but the V2's can be had for cheaper.  For my money and my ears, I have not been at all unhappy with KM140's > Beyer MV100 pre.  It's the same exact chassis as the Sonosax, but instead of continuous  independant gain controls it has switched gain which is not as flexible, but certainly easy enough to use.  Without the pads on the KM100 bodies it would be hard to use the Beyer for loud shows, but I don't mind the pads at all.

CAVEAT- I only record 16 bit.  Dunno if 24bit could reveal deficiencies in the Beyer's sound.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: to KM-140>Sonosax SX-M2 ... or to KM-140>Grace V2 ...That is the question...
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 01:15:18 AM »
the Sonosax and V2 are both great units, the Sax is smaller, but the V2's can be had for cheaper.  For my money and my ears, I have not been at all unhappy with KM140's > Beyer MV100 pre.  It's the same exact chassis as the Sonosax, but instead of continuous  independant gain controls it has switched gain which is not as flexible, but certainly easy enough to use.  Without the pads on the KM100 bodies it would be hard to use the Beyer for loud shows, but I don't mind the pads at all.

CAVEAT- I only record 16 bit.  Dunno if 24bit could reveal deficiencies in the Beyer's sound.

aren't you tom s.? i recognize your id from your email address i have.

my decision to get a mv-100 few years back was soley based on 2 recordings of yours (Yes and Rush).  since then i've modded the mv-100 to have less gain (roughly 7db) by switching out a single resistor/channel. works much better now and i don't have to run the 10db pad on the km140.

+t to you.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 04:39:32 PM »

aren't you tom s.? i recognize your id from your email address i have.

my decision to get a mv-100 few years back was soley based on 2 recordings of yours (Yes and Rush).  since then i've modded the mv-100 to have less gain (roughly 7db) by switching out a single resistor/channel. works much better now and i don't have to run the 10db pad on the km140.

+t to you.

marc

U betcha!

Those 2002 tapes are some nice stuff. glad ya liked 'em! +'d +t ya, but I am still but a noob!  :P
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2005, 04:38:58 AM »
what's wrong with the mp-2? lol it's a great sounding pre combo w/ the 140s IMO. toss a minime or something behind it to do the A>D and you're golden.......there is something to be said for an all in one box, however
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com