Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

If two identical digital recordings exist, which should be seeded? (see post for details)

Seed taper copy only
3 (13.6%)
Seed patcher copy only
0 (0%)
Seed both as long as they're documented
15 (68.2%)
Bugger off, Skalinder - only Apogee sources should be seeded!
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: single digital source but 1 or 2 seeds?  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
single digital source but 1 or 2 seeds?
« on: February 23, 2004, 02:00:49 AM »
I didn't see anything in the ETree guidelines on this and am wondering what you all think.  Here's the situation:

One source, two actual recordings (JB3 taper and DAT patcher).  Both recordings are the same digital source, but they'll have different transfers and different trackings to some degree.

What's the general consensus on seeding these - should only a single recording be seeded for this single source, or is it okay to seed both as long as they're both documented?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

cpclark

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:single digital source but 1 or 2 seeds?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 02:26:07 AM »
i say seed both, but if push comes to shove, the tapers source should be the one circulating, unless they dont know anything about the band they tapes and the patcher can properly track the show if they have the right transfer equipment

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 02:28:19 AM »
tempted to click bugger off, but I feel that as long as it's documented, everything is cool.  But hey, I've never had a patcher so I don't bring much to the table.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 07:12:02 AM »
I have had plenty of patchers but only a handful have asked what the rig setup was.   All I usually am asked is what mics I'm running and that's it.    I think if a source is seeded by the taper and patcher(s)  it's OK as long as the seeds are properly documented.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 07:43:07 AM »
Bugger off, Skalinder - only Apogee sources should be seeded!

;D

as long as the source info, and tracking on the patchers source is ok, i say both are ok to seed. but i would prefer myself, to just have one set of shns/flacs from my source floating around...

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 07:43:51 AM »
as long as things are documented it doesn't really matter.  trey b. put up my moe 1/31 and i'm glad, i never would have had a clue(first show).

so, i must vote for both, because there isn't a "patcher only, because the taper hasn't a clue" category ::)

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 12:57:35 AM »
I tend to agree that both sources are fine, as long as the extra step is listed in the source/lineage.

I've had a ton of patchers, and only once have I ever been asked what I was running. On the flipside, the only 2 times I've ever patched, I was asked by the taper if I would seed it...once because the taper in question really didn't trade much, and the other time 'cause the taper had no way to transfer the DAT except to analog.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 12:58:07 AM by Nick Graham »
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com