Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A few questions regarding those of you still using DAT  (Read 4154 times)

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
A few questions regarding those of you still using DAT
« on: January 24, 2006, 01:06:47 PM »
How often do you have your deck serviced?  (not a major repair--just usual alignment/cleaning)

Where do you send it?  (I'm guessing the overwhelimg response will be ProDigital)

Would you consider sending to anyone other than Paul?

I ask because I know how to clean/align DAT decks among other things and am considering offering up the service for a fee less than Paul's for those on the board to get some extra cash for gear/shows/home renovation ;)  Just gauging interest....
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline halleyscomet8

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: A few questions regarding those of you still using DAT
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 01:14:30 PM »
well, i bought my deck with low hours on it ;) in may. it now has static and noise on all the 90 meter tapes that i use. it has been working fine on 60's. i don't know if my problem is as easy as cleanig/aligning. but i can't afford paul's $75. an hour + possible parts. so i would give you a try ;D
my shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/halleyscomet8
And, yes, I know I suck about getting stuff circulated.  ;)

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 01:39:41 PM »
I've also sent my dap1 to the Oade brothers for cleaning, testing , and alignment.Concerning prodigital:  Paul probly won't take more than an hour to do this basic service so you could probly just bet on 75 plus any parts.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 06:29:52 PM »
Heath can you do portable Sony DAT decks?

I think so.  I have most of my experience with larger decks, like the DA20, SV3700, etc...  but I have been tinkering with my M1 and think I can swing it after some more repetition.   
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 10:35:56 PM by m0k3 »

The Upstream Mend

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 09:52:54 PM »
Anyone know what a tune up and new heads for a DA-P1 should run? I can't afford it now but I should get that done sometime. I don't record much onto it but have only the one deck and a lot of DAT masters.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 09:57:24 PM »
Anyone know what a tune up and new heads for a DA-P1 should run? I can't afford it now but I should get that done sometime. I don't record much onto it but have only the one deck and a lot of DAT masters.

it would be cheaper to buy a full size deck for transfers. They are cheap as can be be nowadays. Im sure that would be much cheaper than new heads on the trashcan.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 10:29:59 PM »

it would be cheaper to buy a full size deck for transfers. They are cheap as can be be nowadays. Im sure that would be much cheaper than new heads on the trashcan.

yep,  exept for the trashcan remark
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 10:31:22 PM »

said with love though :)
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 10:44:41 PM »

said with love though :)

+t then
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline chucky

• Taperssection Member
  • Hookd on cronics
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 08:12:56 AM »
well, i bought my deck with low hours on it ;) in may. it now has static and noise on all the 90 meter tapes that i use. it has been working fine on 60's. i don't know if my problem is as easy as cleanig/aligning. but i can't afford paul's $75. an hour + possible parts. so i would give you a try ;D

I have the exact same problem with my D8.
Except mines the other way around, no static with 90meter tapes. Any 60meter tape gets static.
With all maxells I get static, but if I use these cheap ass tapes Dwonk got off Ebay, no noticeable static.
REALLY SUCKS cause I only ran it twice, then I borrowed Dwonks M1 and it fucked up after 3 shows.

Heath, do you think you could fix the M1? if I put a tape in it it'll load, and then instantly unload.
Searching here on TS it seems that it's those white rollers

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2006, 08:16:37 AM »
i'm playing with my m1 each night getting comfortable with the "smallness" of the portables.  Things are tight in there.  As I get more comfortable working in there, I'll keep you posted.

The Upstream Mend

Offline chun

• Taperssection Member
  • In search of the perfect mic placement
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2006, 04:53:39 PM »
How often do you have your deck serviced?  (not a major repair--just usual alignment/cleaning)

Where do you send it?  (I'm guessing the overwhelimg response will be ProDigital)

I ask because I know how to clean/align DAT decks among other things and am considering offering up the service for a fee less than Paul's for those on the board to get some extra cash for gear/shows/home renovation ;)  Just gauging interest....

I still run a roach deck D7 that I bought new in like - fuck i don't even know how long ago......

It has 500+ shows recorded on it EASILY (prob more).  I have never had it serviced or cleaned - I think I have run a head cleaner through it 2 or 3 times in its life.  I am 24/96 on laptop now - but the d7 keeps on going.......
Neumann TLM 170s
Neumann TLM 103s

744t / Mix pre 6 / JB3 / d7 / d8

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2006, 06:25:42 PM »

not stealin' your thunder....just saying ;D

Paul is not even the person that fixes the decks at prodigital.  The person (not going to mention his name)who does is a MASTER with ALL brands and I have been a personal friend of his for years....he is the best.  Cleaning and aligning is not too difficult tho. however, for repairs etc I would never send to anyone else. 

Offline IceMan

• i don't like you.you're dangerous
    • My Blog(s)
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 11:14:06 AM »
I bought my D8 brand new in 97.  I had the first 'service" done to it just last week via Pro Dig.  I have yet to run the rig since but I expect it is fine.  I was not having major issues barring a bad tape load but figured it was time.

The cost was a little higher than I expected but they called me Friday saying it was done and it was back at my house on monday packed better than I'd ever had expected.

I don't have a lot of experience so I can't say if i'd go elsewhere.
When I die I won't own crap..but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over.  http://toddiet123.blogspot.com/  Yes..Yes I can help you track Caspian shows.

Offline SuperDave

• Now that's a mandolin!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 04:26:42 PM »
Should my home deck ever need servicing(rarely use it these days, though), you'll be the first person I ask.
I'm gonna go put my spacesuit on boys, then lets get this dirty cocksucker in the air! ...

Open Rig: ADK A-51 TL's > Oade Warm Mod UA-5 > Iriver H120/JB3
Stealth Rig: AT853 > SP-SPSB-10 > Iriver h120

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com