Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 12 Gauge Microphones  (Read 15915 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
12 Gauge Microphones
« on: April 26, 2011, 09:49:17 PM »

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
Re: 12 Gauge Microphones
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:05:11 PM »
basically plastic cases for bodies
I wonder if they're shotguns :lol: ...the only thing I can say is why?

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:19:06 PM »
You can throw a Panasonic omni capsule in any housing you want and it works very well.  I had a friend that installed the capsules on the "tip" of a regular xlr connector.  They aren't good on everything, but they shine on acoustic instruments and make a fantastic room mic.  You can make a pair of them for less than $40 easily.  Dirt cheap and a fun little project.

Hats off to these guys for being inventive!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 12:34:05 AM »
wouldn't it be best if the mics were mounted a little farther away, not like its illustrated in the photo?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline gkatz

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »
reminds me of the Karma K-Micro silver bullets, small omnis that work well on some instruments, drums.

12 guage = 70 a pair plus shipping?
Karma's = 30 a pair plus shipping

http://www.karmamics.com/shop/K-Micro-Matched-Pair.html

someone should order these

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
I bet you couldn't get thse past TSA - Good luck traveling onboard with these.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 12:13:35 PM »
These would be perfect Microphones for Junior Walker and the All Stars...If we can get them into heaven...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline mr qpl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 03:08:15 PM »
or, of course, Kurt Cobain

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 05:09:25 PM »
 I wonder if they will come out with an LD version built out of a snuff can.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:09:52 PM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 10:29:26 AM »
basically plastic cases for bodies
I wonder if they're shotguns :lol: ...the only thing I can say is why?

There's an image!
Imagine a shotgun mic as the barrel of a shotgun.
That'd get the attention of anyone it was pointed at.
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 11:24:13 PM »
I bet Naiant omnis are better than these, altho quite a neat lil project nevertheless ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 09:09:57 AM »
I always thought the coresound CSBs were stuffed into a .25 ACP casing.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 12:58:15 AM »
It just goes to show you many people think they can stuff a capsule into anything and it will sound good. LOL that is not the case if it was Neumann would have a 12Ga and 10Ga mic.... :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Bradley802

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 02:00:09 PM »
Hey folks! I noticed there was some chatter about my mics!

I was originally creating my little mics out of necessity for my own use. I threw them up on the low-end-theory forum of gearslutz to show off my shotgun shell design and started getting so many orders I put up a website to handle those orders. I've tried not to portray them as a high-end microphone, they are after-all $35, or myself as a master microphone engineer.

I appreciate ALL opinions and criticism and hope buyers enjoy them for what they are, Electret mics that look like a shotgun shell!

Thanks!
Brad Martin

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 02:55:15 PM »
Hey folks! I noticed there was some chatter about my mics!

I was originally creating my little mics out of necessity for my own use. I threw them up on the low-end-theory forum of gearslutz to show off my shotgun shell design and started getting so many orders I put up a website to handle those orders. I've tried not to portray them as a high-end microphone, they are after-all $35, or myself as a master microphone engineer.

I appreciate ALL opinions and criticism and hope buyers enjoy them for what they are, Electret mics that look like a shotgun shell!

Thanks!
Brad Martin
Go to http://www.ksmetals.com/ this is where I get all my brass tube for building mics.. I think its cool that you wanted to build a mic into a shotgun shell but if you ever get serious then you should take at look at K&S.

Offline Bradley802

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 08:20:23 PM »
Thanks for the info!

I do have the specs that are associated with the capsule I'm using and plan on making it available as soon as I update my website with the addition of my cardioid model, I honestly didn't expect these things to blow up like they did in the short amount of time they did.

But really these mics aren't made to replace you're neumanns, they're for the lowender like me who wants to get their song in their computer regardless of specs. With of course the added bonus that it looks like a shotgun shell...

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 10:49:29 PM »
Thanks for the info!

I do have the specs that are associated with the capsule I'm using and plan on making it available as soon as I update my website with the addition of my cardioid model, I honestly didn't expect these things to blow up like they did in the short amount of time they did.

But really these mics aren't made to replace you're neumanns, they're for the lowender like me who wants to get their song in their computer regardless of specs. With of course the added bonus that it looks like a shotgun shell...

I think it would be really cool if your polar pattern plot was a target :)

Offline Bradley802

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 07:28:55 AM »
I really do appreciate all your input and advice, and I've tried to make it a point not to make any claims that I'm a seasoned microphone engineer. These little omni's are nothing more than one of my DIY mics that happens to sound nice and that people seemed to really connect with and enjoy, hence the website to handle the orders.

I feel that my quoted statement is true however, and without getting into an argument, viewing both the schems for the balanced circuits pin 1 and either 2 or 3 are connected to the same terminal on the element. That's all I was saying and I feel you were reading to deep into the statement.

Furthermore I think you're missing the big picture, IT LOOKS LIKE A SHOTGUN SHELL. If what you say is true (not seeing my actual circuit), and my mic kills batteries in 6 hours then I suppose they shouldn't be a go-to for location recording, which I'm positive isn't the reason people are buying them. They're a novelty that happen to sound really nice on certain things. I've had numerous orders from people stating that they're making them permanent talkback/room mics because of their sound and appearance.

Anyway, thanks for all the criticism and I look forward to using you're advice to better my future endeavors. Concerning "withdrawing my product" I'll have to respectfully decline. I've sold over 100 of the RED12 mics with 0 complaints, concerns, or issues.

Thanks again,
Brad Martin

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 08:53:24 AM »
I really do appreciate all your input and advice, and I've tried to make it a point not to make any claims that I'm a seasoned microphone engineer. These little omni's are nothing more than one of my DIY mics that happens to sound nice and that people seemed to really connect with and enjoy, hence the website to handle the orders.

I feel that my quoted statement is true however, and without getting into an argument, viewing both the schems for the balanced circuits pin 1 and either 2 or 3 are connected to the same terminal on the element. That's all I was saying and I feel you were reading to deep into the statement.

Furthermore I think you're missing the big picture, IT LOOKS LIKE A SHOTGUN SHELL. If what you say is true (not seeing my actual circuit), and my mic kills batteries in 6 hours then I suppose they shouldn't be a go-to for location recording, which I'm positive isn't the reason people are buying them. They're a novelty that happen to sound really nice on certain things. I've had numerous orders from people stating that they're making them permanent talkback/room mics because of their sound and appearance.

Anyway, thanks for all the criticism and I look forward to using you're advice to better my future endeavors. Concerning "withdrawing my product" I'll have to respectfully decline. I've sold over 100 of the RED12 mics with 0 complaints, concerns, or issues.

Thanks again,
Brad Martin

If ground and Pin 2 or 3 Are connected to ground directly then its NOT a balanced circuit. Furthermore it should if you are running unbalanced tie pin 3 to ground. Why because every console on earth is pin 2 hot pin 3 Neg.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:29:19 AM by Church-Audio »

Offline Bradley802

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 09:10:43 AM »
In my microphone pins 1 and 3 are not connected directly, they are indeed separated by other components, and I wasn't suggesting the schems on the mentioned link are indicating it was a straight shot from the pins to the capsule. I was merely saying they DO eventually connect to the same terminal on the element, separated by components of course, and I think maybe my statement from gearslutz was taken out of context. I apologize for any confusion! Thanks again for all your comments!

Offline Bradley802

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 10:30:01 AM »
If your product has an uneven phantom draw, that is a serious problem.  Unbalancing the DC current in a transformer causes saturation which increases distortion.  A nondiscriminating engineer might not notice or care, but it causes the preamp to fail to perform as designed.

First off I want to reestablish that I am in no way an electrical engineer, nor have I ever claimed to be, and therefor completely respect the knowledge and experience of the 3 preamp manufacturers voicing their concerns. However the above quote I deeply disagree with because I don't necessarily view saturation or distortion as a "serious problem." I can absolutely hear the saturation in the acoustic clip I have on my site, and its partly why I like the sound of these mics.

I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. It is what it is, and there is a clip of the audio for everyone to hear.

Furthermore I would be honored to have my mics put in the same category as the karmas and Blondies. Teppei Teranishi of Thrice, a musician and engineer I deeply respect, raves about the blondies and used them on hugely popular recordings. (I beleive the blondies are unbalanced?) If you're implying that the microphones are not "professional" because they are not balanced or perhaps because they make preamplifiers saturate and distort the way "they weren't designed to perform" then I'm afraid I would have to disagree. I've yet to hear a comment with a concern that they will actually do physical damage to the preamp and until I do I see no reason to change the circuit.

Once again I am in no way trying to be confrontational, and I know that in text sometimes comments can be taken the wrong way. I deeply appreciate all the comments and help everyone has given, I just happen to enjoy the way my mics sounds and am happy that some others do too.

Thanks,
Brad Martin

Offline chris319

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 11:41:10 PM »
I say let Michael Joly come up with a $300 mod for it ;D

Offline chris319

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 12:16:10 AM »
I say let Michael Joly come up with a $300 mod for it ;D

;D I don't think Joly designs circuits though, he mostly seems to do mechanical mods and component swaps.

I bet he could find an old Neumann preamp design to throw in there. That and rip out a layer of mesh from the head basket. Oh wait, it doesn't have a head basket!

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 01:31:07 PM »
OK dude, whatever.  I am trying to give you free expert mic design assistance, but you are going off on that ol' GS-style appeal-to-audio-engineering authority if a famous audio engineer says it is true, then it must be true; all saturation is good, even if the "engineer" can't predict or understand when or why it occurs . . . and next, what, cable capacitance and lack of common mode rejection as a virtue?

The quote I posted above about the K-Micro being "very good, very directional"?  Famous engineer.  Except it isn't directional at all (except above about 10kHz, which is true of all omnis) and its distortion is . . . let's just say not euphonic.

I could go on, but those would all just be anecdotes.  I prefer scientific measurement . . .

Enjoy it while you are flavor-of-the-month, it is fun if you can scale production with demand.  If you are really crazy, you can even do it for a living!

Jon,

I respect your opinion, admire your work and use your products but this statement came across as really condescending and rude. This guys mics are obviously made for the cool factor as he so clearly stated. If they are being used as talkback mics and such he doesn't really need to improve them. Ease up on the guy.

edit: I understand why you would not want the niche market you vend in to be perceived as a joke or gimmick product since your mics are professional quality tools.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:34:28 PM by goodcooker »
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 02:35:21 PM »
If I am an ass for saying that, so be it.

nah.. you're just passionate! We all appreciate your advice, even when it's not what we'd like to hear. :)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 02:57:51 PM »
Jon I just want to say thanks for your openess and willingness to share your expertice even with those who seem not to care to further improve their understanding.  For those us of who take the time to look beneath the surface and choose to place our trust (and spend dollars) with those who design well thought out and properly engineered gear, people like yourself are an increasingly rare breed.  Please don't give up on us!

FWIW I also agree completely with Jon's assesment of GS, which is why I tend to spend far more time around here.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 03:54:37 PM »
X2 on the GS site. There is lots of good info over there, but trying to carry on an science based conversation about audio is nearly impossible anymore.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 04:01:47 PM »
Jon I just want to say thanks for your openess and willingness to share your expertice even with those who seem not to care to further improve their understanding.  For those us of who take the time to look beneath the surface and choose to place our trust (and spend dollars) with those who design well thought out and properly engineered gear, people like yourself are an increasingly rare breed.  Please don't give up on us!

Well said. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:04:57 PM by leehookem »
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 05:27:48 PM »
That was a lot to type when nobody is going to read it :(

I read it.  :)

And as usual enjoyed reading the in-depth technical discussion.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 05:59:33 PM »
OK I did not want to do this but I am announcing a new product. Its the New Church Audio 50 CAL BMG CAFS stealth.

With the new CAFS STEALTH gone are the issues of getting mics past security. With a slew rate faster than the speed of sound and a frequency response of 2k to 6.8932k these mics have a very low distortion of less than 12% at 85db. The can also be fired from a gun and "sent to a friend" with a 3 mile range. Notice the capsule mounted at the back like a firing cap. Is it a bullet is it a mic no its both!

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2011, 06:46:17 PM »
OK I did not want to do this but I am announcing a new product. Its the New Church Audio 50 CAL BMG CAFS stealth.

With the new CAFS STEALTH gone are the issues of getting mics past security. With a slew rate faster than the speed of sound and a frequency response of 2k to 6.8932k these mics have a very low distortion of less than 12% at 85db. The can also be fired from a gun and "sent to a friend" with a 3 mile range. Notice the capsule mounted at the back like a firing cap. Is it a bullet is it a mic no its both!

Chris, that's (ms)hilarious. lol  ;D
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 11:01:44 PM »

Chris, that's (ms)hilarious. lol  ;D

;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Bradley802

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2011, 08:50:20 AM »
Thanks again for all the input guys, I really value all your opinions and consider them as the voice of experience. I will no doubt refer to this thread and the comments made when designing future microphones.

Jon, thank you especially for all the time you've given to myself and my microphones. I want you to know I respect the Naiant gear immensely, and see it recommended to low-enders like myself on Gearslutz daily, usually in the same breath as the Blondies and the Karmas.

The RED12 microphone is what it is, and will stay that way. However, I don't want you to get the impression that since the design isn't changing I'm "not listening". My future microphones will no doubt have improvements as I learn more, and I look forward to hearing your critiques and suggestions. 12gaugemicrophones is after all only 1 month old.

Thanks again,
Brad Martin

kirk97132

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2011, 04:26:03 PM »
SO used shotgun shells.............Positive test for explosives at Airport TSA when swabbed or sniffed by dog??? 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.157 seconds with 62 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com