Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 2 dpa 4061's (lemo) to 1/8" to BB to DAT?? Help!!  (Read 4375 times)

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
2 dpa 4061's (lemo) to 1/8" to BB to DAT?? Help!!
« on: January 06, 2006, 04:40:21 PM »
My electronics guy says he called DPA and they say that due to "impedence" they do not recommend terminating 2 DPA's with Lemo connectors to a single 1/8" to use on the SP bat box.

Please respond if you have had this done, or if you have 2 DPA's with a single 1/8" connection.!!

thanks!

Mike K

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
Re: 2 dpa 4061's (lemo) to 1/8" to BB to DAT?? Help!!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 06:28:07 PM »
I can't say I've done this personally but it's a quite common termination here's some threads from the kickdown that seem to be using 4061's terminated in 1/8"
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=56054.0
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=32147.0

ilduclo

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 07:24:46 PM »
thanks for the link, I PM'd one guy who says dpa>sp>dat,

anyone else have this set up?

M

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 09:56:06 PM »
My electronics guy says he called DPA and they say that due to "impedence" they do not recommend terminating 2 DPA's with Lemo connectors to a single 1/8" to use on the SP bat box.

Please respond if you have had this done, or if you have 2 DPA's with a single 1/8" connection.!!

thanks!

Mike K

My take on it is that DPA's trying to blow sunshine up your skirt.  What is it about "impedance" that's the problem?  Who wants to bet that the person who originated the impedance excuse doesn't know the meaning of the word?  Due to "intuition", I smell bullshit.

If they'd told said that they did not recommend using a single ended termination and that they'd prefer to see a balanced termination, then I'd understand.  But to explain the whole thing with a single word, impedance, and to not even say what impedance they were concerned with...

That said, it probably would be better to use a separate 1/8" stereo connector for each channel with shaft to shield, ring to (-) and tip to (+).  I don't know of any commercially available battery boxes that are wired that way, but you could probably wire your own.  There are some example schematics somewhere on the epanorama site that show how to wire a battery box to provide bias voltage to an electret mic element through a balanced mic wire.

On the other hand, unless you're using them around high powered mobile radios or noisy flourescent balasts, the lowered protection against interference that you'd have with both DPA's terminated in one connector wouldn't be noticed.  Almost all of SP's smaller mics don't use balanced mic cables.  It's really not a big deal unless you start thinking about really long cable runs or unless you want to run it next to some high powered transmitter.  I'd say do it and don't worry about it.  Just make sure that you are applying the correct amount of voltage for the mic elements you are driving.

Left goes to tip
Right goes to ring
Both grounds to to shaft
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

ilduclo

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 05:32:06 PM »
I keep heaing it here, it's OK. I think DPA is trying to sell gear, eg their microdot connectors and a special preamp, heck! I just got the mics for 400, had to buy an 80 BB, so I am kind of "out of available taper funds" right now! I'd really like to be able to buy some tickets, too!

Microdots, now, I think that was a form of lysergic acid? Or is my memory failing me?

ilduclo

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 12:29:40 AM »
confirmed

Left goes to tip
Right goes to ring
Both grounds to to shaft

just like the man said, works great!!

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 09:51:16 AM »
confirmed

Left goes to tip
Right goes to ring
Both grounds to to shaft

just like the man said, works great!!

So, are the wires color coded?  What do you see when you open up the DPA cables?  Is it a shield and two conductors or is it just two conductors?
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 09:56:04 AM »
Actually, I have heard the impedence thing from someone other than DPA.  However, I was told that if you were to run DPA's using a 3rd party BB, it was imperative that it was a Sound Pro's bb, as it (coincidently) has the correct impedence for the DPAs.  I want to say that its 10ohms.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 12:39:19 PM »

So, are the wires color coded?  What do you see when you open up the DPA cables?  Is it a shield and two conductors or is it just two conductors?

Or is it just one central strand like coax with a shield?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 12:45:42 PM »
on mine, the positive was in the center w/ clear coating, the negative was wrapped around the positive.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

ilduclo

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 04:53:10 PM »
I am not sure what they looked like inside, I had my electronic guy do it for me, the link above to the SP will also get it done for like 10 + shippping, so......I paid my guy $16, he did it using the above instructions.

I ran it to the SP Batt box, and I am glad I got the one with the bass rolloff, because they are a really bassy set of mics, actually it all sounded really good, but the bass needed a bit of rolloff. So, my recco is, send it to Sound Pros with the above link so kindly provided, and then buy the SP batt box with the adjustable roll off. You will be pleased if you do. It is a HUUUUUGE step up in quality from the old "Corpsesound binaurals" that I've been using. And, if you can, get the DPA's from the Broadway sellers on E Bay. The whole set up incl batt box cost me under 500, whereas the "HEB's " that Len Mosco offers are over 2x that plus the usual Corpsesound high shipping charges (and he even charges you for using your visa card!!)

ilduc

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 10:32:08 AM »
And, if you can, get the DPA's from the Broadway sellers on E Bay.

Shopping for 4060's... Who are the 'Broadway sellers"?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

ilduclo

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 01:51:33 PM »
Ebay, look for the ones with the "lemo" connections, they're apparently from Broadway theater companies, (so Tommy Tune might have used them last), a lot of the ones are the odd "flesh tone", but the prices are great, and the ones I got work great!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com