Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on stands / mounts  (Read 5998 times)

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
Advice on stands / mounts
« on: June 21, 2007, 01:17:16 PM »
Hey there, I'm traditionally a stealth taper, but there seem to be more and more shows I'm going "open" with.  I use Church Audio Cards > CA9100 Pre > iRiver H120 and I'm wondering what kind of stand you guys would recommend to get my mics some height over people's heads.  I've seen heaps of pictures on the "Rig Pictures" thread of seas of rig's all mounted up on these convenient looking 10-15ft (?) stands.  Thing is I know absolutely nothing about them!  Please help me out-- what's there to look for, what are good ones or bad ones, what will work best for my mics, etc.  Any input is very welcome, and as always, thanks in advance!!
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: Advice on stands / mounts
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 01:38:41 PM »
you can spend more but I have been plenty pleased with my amvona stand off ebay.  do a search, they are very afordable and quick to ship.  you can get a decent 8-15 foot stand for around $30.00 probably.

edit to add:  I just did a quick search and it looks like there are not as many of the amvona's as there was once.  Just do a search for "lighting stand" and you will find more than you bargain for.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline nickee

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 02:13:33 PM »
Amvona has a ebay store (http://stores.ebay.com/amvona-com). The most popular model around here is probably the 806A. It is fairly light and is about 9 feet tall.  Do you need more height than that you should be should be looking for their AS-9110 model (almost 14 feet). They have about a dozen of each for sale right now so they shouldn't be too expensive (the 806A seldom goes for more than 25USD).

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 02:22:51 PM »
^ +T for saying so well what I stumbled over...
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 02:32:20 PM »
Are both stands' heights adjustable or fixed?  how compact do they get and how do they extend (snap / screw in place, unfold, or crank?)?  Thanks for the awesome leads so far, I'm relieved to hear that they're pretty cheap.  Also how do people generally attach their mics to the stand and does this stand feature a "T" shape on the top (to achieve a stereo effect)?  Thanks so much for everything guys, it's a tremendous help!!

edit: Krispy +T on the effort =)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 02:43:23 PM by travelinbeat »
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Offline nickee

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 03:11:52 PM »
 own a 806A but I guess the same applies for the big brother 9110 as well. The stand is telescopic and has 3 snaps, one for adjusting the "feet" and two for adjusting the height. There is two points where you adjust the height, just pull it to the desired length and snap it tight. They are air cushioned so if you forget to snap anything properly it wont go from 9 feet to zero in an instant. It can be set to any height between 3 feet to 9 feet.

You will probably have to get a 1/4 -> 5/8 inch adapter for the treads in order to mount your T-bar.

Are both stands' heights adjustable or fixed?  how compact do they get and how do they extend (snap / screw in place, unfold, or crank?)?  Thanks for the awesome leads so far, I'm relieved to hear that they're pretty cheap.  Also how do people generally attach their mics to the stand and does this stand feature a "T" shape on the top (to achieve a stereo effect)?  Thanks so much for everything guys, it's a tremendous help!!

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 03:15:12 PM »
Thanks for that-- sorry to keep at this (what I'm sure are) silly questions, but how do I fix a t-bar on the mount and where would I find one?

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 03:32:22 PM »
Probably easier to understand with pictures than a written description so check the two links below then ask more questions if you don't understand how to atach the t-bars/clamps/adapters/etc to a stand. The two listed below are by no means the only places that have them but were easy for me to grab links for them.

http://www.micsupply.com/standaccessories.htm

http://www.olsenaudio.com/adapters.html

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 03:41:38 PM »
I'm more confused than ever  :(  ???

Isn't there just a simple one or two things to buy to get my CA Card's up in the sky?  Again I don't usually do open recording, but I'm looking at getting gear for the rare occasions which I'm allowed to tape

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 03:42:04 PM »
any good photo shop is a great resource.  Check out B&H I have done a lot of business with them.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 03:49:22 PM »
The top of the stand (either mic/photo or light) will either be terminated with threads or a quick release stud. How it's terminated will determine what adapters you need to mount a tbar. Once you have a stand, then order the appropriate adapters and a tbar or talk to the folks where you get the stand as they may stock what you need and can add it to your order so you only have to [lace one order and receive everything you need in one shipment.

Offline evilchris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 04:17:34 PM »
They may not have the best products or prices in town (or online), but Sound Pros has everything you need.

They have several stands in the sub-$50 range and have plenty of mounting options for your mics and all the adapters you'd need.  If nothing else, pick up the phone or drop them an email.  Chris has always been great about responding to questions from me.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline RobertNC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 08:40:23 PM »
OK, pictures help.  I'll pimp micsupply.com for a source.

THis is how a lot of us would put together a stand setup:

1)  Buy a stand.  I also recommend the Dynatran 806A stand as has already been suggested.  I own an 806A and an AS9110.  I suggest the 806A to start, it's small enough to use indoors. The AS9110 is really only suitable for festivals, at least IMO.  Dynatran stands are plenty suitable for taping and the best bargain around.

2)  On top of the stand you put an adapter.  See a photo here:

http://www.micsupply.com/standaccessories.htm.

Scroll down the page until you find "Stand fitting w/ 3/8>5/8 adapter".  The $17 dollar one.

The wing nut on the side holds the adapter onto the post at the top of the stand.  The adapter terminates in a male 5/8 thread.  The reason most of us use this kind of adapter is because a light stand usually has a tip that is either unthreaded or threaded to an inconvient size.  The wing nut adapter allows you to put a 5/8 thread on any kind of stand tip.

3)  A T-Bar screws down onto the the 5/8 thread tip provided by Part 2 above.

See a photo here:

http://www.micsupply.com/standaccessories.htm.

Scroll down the page until you find "Swivel T-bar".  The $26 one.

That gets you a stand, with a tip that has a 5/8 thread, and the T-Bar screws down on that 5/8 thread.

Now that you know how we put a T-Bar on a stand, look carefully at the T-Bar photo.  Notice the two screws one at each end?  Most of us stand tapers have mics that use either a shockmount or threaded clip  mount that requires an uncommon thread size - 5/8 27.  The screw at each end of that swivel T-Bar fits a typical mic mount.

So now hopefully you have a better picture of what the typical hardware is, how it fits together, and why. 

And you probably recognize something different about your rig.  Since you are stealthing, I'm gussing your mics have alligator style clips, not any kind of screw mount?  You don't need the screws at each end of that swivel bar.    So you have more options to just kind of rig anything that will go on top of the lightstand to make a T and then clip your mics to that.

But I would consider just go ahead and get the setup I've described above, for a couple of reasons.  First of all, you might decide at some point in time you want a different set of mics - if you go with something new that has a standard screw or shockmount, your rig will be ready to fly.  The second reason is you will find most stand tapers like to carry a variety of clamps and bars because there is often a possibility to share a stand with other tapers - two rigs on one stand in a theater can make a big difference in how much room you have to enjoy the show. 

And even more importantly you never know when someone else will make it to a show but their stand will not.  This past spring I was taping Ratdog at the Beacon.  I flew up the day of the first show, and had various hardware in my carry on just in case my stand that had to be checked did not make it.  It didn't and fortunately I was able to hook up with a local taper who brought his stand and between the two of us we had more than enough hardware to put both of our mics on his stand.  The airline brought my stand to my hotel the next day, so the second night we did the same thing this time using my stand and he did not have to lug his into the city.

Once you get into stand taping it's always a good idea to be ready to share.  Even if you don't need a fullblown TBar right now, somebody else may *really* appreciate you having one with threads anyway.  And by the same token if there is an open taping taping show in your near future and you don't have a stand yet, as long as you have cables long enough, look for somebody there with one.  Taping has it;s fair share of snobs/assholes but most people will have no problem with letting you clip those small mics on their TBar.

Good luck, happy taping.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 08:52:35 PM by RobertNC »
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline bluevolvo

• Taperssection Regular
  • chic singers rule
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 10:49:47 PM »
The reason most of us use this kind of adapter is because a light stand usually has a tip that is either unthreaded or threaded to an inconvient size.

Amen

I finally got sick enough of lugging that big bogen adaptor around, so I jorgeson clamped my stand up plumb on the drill press, used my vast knowledge of all things centered, and drilled and tapped it.  Used a 1/4-20 x 1/2 set screw (so I can get it out nicely if I ever want).  A little blue loctite on it all with the 1/4 x 3/8 adaptor = all good.

I think I can carry one more beverage now
full-on: AKG C414BXLS-ST/Neumann SKM184MT's/Oktava MK012's-COH > PMD671/MOTU Traveler+ADA8000/HD24XR|MX6650
down-low: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > iHP-120 (RockBox'd)
[p-mod UA-5 with/in between]

Offline travelinbeat

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 11:47:06 PM »
OK, pictures help.  I'll pimp micsupply.com for a source.

THis is how a lot of us would put together a stand setup: [...]

Done and done!!  Thanks for that awesomely helpful assessment of the requirements!  As you predicted, my mics do indeed have little alligator clips.  I will get the rig you've outlined, I enjoy purchasing things knowing that they'll be useful if / when I upgrade.  It's also nice to know that I'll have something which puts me in a position to help others =).

Big +t, thanks a million, Robert!  ;D

Offline greatape

• Taperssection Regular
    • www.youtube.com/GreatTapes
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 08:44:41 PM »
Regarding #2 on RobertNC's post. . .

According to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/AIR-CUSHIONED-PHOTO-PHOTOGRAPHY-VIDEO-LIGHT-STAND-806A_W0QQitemZ200002501563QQihZ010QQcategoryZ30080QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
the Dyntaran 806A already has 5/8" thread.  Is there something different about this thread that it will still need an adapter for the T-mount that I'm ordering?
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-GNA-2
My Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/GreatTapes

Audio:
Church Audio STC11 Cardioids>ST9000>Tascam Dr2d

Photo/Video:
Panasonic GH2
Canon HV30/HV20

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 10:05:38 PM »
That's a 5/8" stud, not 5/8" thread.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 03:52:12 AM »
Well, I'm coming a little late to this but now that I understand all there is to stands I can answer all your questions. ;D

It goes:

Stand -> -> Mics

Anything else you need explained just ask, I can help ya :)
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 09:38:53 AM »
What's the best way to mount a T bar or a DIY T bar on one of those Dynatran stands? rWc3523
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 06:00:27 AM »
Just screw it on there. Depending on the threading at the top of the stand and the threading on the T-bar, you might need an adapter.

For example, 3/8" to 5/8".

hope that makes sense
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline greatape

• Taperssection Regular
    • www.youtube.com/GreatTapes
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 08:10:08 PM »
That's a 5/8" stud, not 5/8" thread.

Interesting update. . .
The Dyantran 806A arrived today. While there was a stud on the top, that stud was topped by a 1/4" male thread.  My 1/4 to 5/8 adapter that I already have fits perfectly.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/147276-REG/Mighty_Wondercam_Videosmith__006_SCREWIT_Microphone_Mount_Adapter.html

My Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/GreatTapes

Audio:
Church Audio STC11 Cardioids>ST9000>Tascam Dr2d

Photo/Video:
Panasonic GH2
Canon HV30/HV20

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 08:20:53 PM »
Cool. I've been trying to get one of those and either miss the end of the auction or get outbid in the last second. That won't happen again, but I'm trying to get one for about $30 total. rWc3523
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.271 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com