Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: lecture series with John Atkinson of Stereophile  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
lecture series with John Atkinson of Stereophile
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:45:14 AM »
I'm headed to this event tomorrow night at one of the local shops,

http://listenup.com/stores/music_matters.php

John Atkinson and Joe Harley from MusicMatters and Audio Quest will be the main presenters. Lots of other reps around though and some demos on the really high end systems that I'm always too chicken-shit to ask them to play for me :P

Here's hoping my gf's rich brother feels like throwing some money around ;D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: lecture series with John Atkinson of Stereophile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 06:31:43 PM »
Update,

I only ended up being able to make 1 of the 30 minute listening sessions (there were 4) because Shawn's brother was late coming in from the airport. I picked the room that John Atkinson was speaking in.

the gear was from a boulder company called Ayre
2 of their monoblocks http://www.ayre.com/products_detail.cfm?productid=14
1 of their pres http://www.ayre.com/products_detail.cfm?productid=16
fed by their new USB DAC ($2500 retail) which was sourced by a mac mini, real slick setup
speakers were the B&W 802d http://www.listenup.com/lu/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=802D&Category_Code=49920&Store_Code=l

Without adding in cables the system retails for $50,000

They played a few tracks at 16/44.1 (A Ray LaMontagne track and a Wood Brothers) and then Atkinson jumped in and played some of his 24/88.2 masters. Atkinson played some choral pieces he had recorded and also a rock/fusion thing he had done. He walked us through the recording process, the mics and where he set them up and what he was going for. The system sounded good, tremendous detail, good imaging - some of the choral works were amazing, you could really place the voices in the hall. Hard to judge sound stage from where I was at, front and center but a touch too close.

Like I said, it sounded really good but I wasn't as jaw droppingly amazed as I thought I would be. For that kind of money I expected to be totally blown away and I wasn't. It was all pretty dry, very clean and probably measured very accurately but it wasn't engaging. I didn't want to sit there with a stack of music and just listen to everything I could. Feels weird to knock a system that costs more than my yearly salary but I guess I really am a tubes and vinyl man.

John Atkinson was super cool. It makes me want to start reading his snotty magazine again. He's really smart, pretty funny and was very nice.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline som

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: lecture series with John Atkinson of Stereophile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 08:52:58 AM »
Like I said, it sounded really good but I wasn't as jaw droppingly amazed as I thought I would be. For that kind of money I expected to be totally blown away and I wasn't.
I guess I really am a tubes and vinyl man.

I believe there is a very steep diminishing returns curve after you reach a certain point in the audio world.

Definitely agree with the tubes+vinyl thing. My under $2000 4.5 watt amp+turntable+phono pre+single-driver speakers system leaves me breathless at times. Sometimes I just can't *imagine* the music sounding better. Which is a wonderful place to be!
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com