Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In Dash CD Player - 24 bit A/D Converter  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Benny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Etree
In Dash CD Player - 24 bit A/D Converter
« on: June 07, 2009, 08:00:09 PM »
If you scroll down a little, it appears this this Kenwood unit has a built in A/D converter; 

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113HD942U/Kenwood-KDC-HD942U.html?tp=5684&tab=detailed_info

Would that mean you could put in a 24 bit cd and it'll play through this unit?

TIA
CO Crüe - A drinkin' team with a tapin' problem

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
Re: In Dash CD Player - 24 bit A/D Converter
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 05:28:42 PM »
If you scroll down a little, it appears this this Kenwood unit has a built in A/D converter; 

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113HD942U/Kenwood-KDC-HD942U.html?tp=5684&tab=detailed_info

TIA

I would say no after reading the features etc.

It doesn't even mention a lossless format. It mentions AAC , MP3 and WMA. I guess you could try feeding it a 24bit WAV file and it might be able to play it but the information doesn't make it clear.

it does have an AUX  input tho. so if your portable has the ability to playback 24bit flac or wav then you could simply use the head unit as an amp.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Benny

• Etree
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 07:53:39 PM »

TIA

I would say no after reading the features etc.

It doesn't even mention a lossless format. It mentions AAC , MP3 and WMA. I guess you could try feeding it a 24bit WAV file and it might be able to play it but the information doesn't make it clear.

it does have an AUX  input tho. so if your portable has the ability to playback 24bit flac or wav then you could simply use the head unit as an amp.

right on, thanks for the info. what do you think the benefit of the builtin a/d would be?

Roving Sign

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 08:11:20 PM »
Every CD player - ever - has a built in AD converter...otherwise, where would the sound come from?

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 08:44:04 AM »
Well I've never heard of a CD player with an AD converter at all, unless of course it was a burner as well. And no, just because the DAC (which is probably what you meant anyway) has a 24 bit chip doesn't mean that the transport will read 24bit files, or really anything other than read-book cds. (Yes, this model can play some lossy files as well).

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Benny

• Etree
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 07:54:04 PM »
Well I've never heard of a CD player with an AD converter at all, unless of course it was a burner as well. And no, just because the DAC (which is probably what you meant anyway) has a 24 bit chip doesn't mean that the transport will read 24bit files, or really anything other than read-book cds. (Yes, this model can play some lossy files as well).

-Noah

yeah, i meant dac...thanks for the feedback guys

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com