Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Conditioners  (Read 11105 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Conditioners
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2005, 10:01:02 AM »
I just ordered bpt bp1 from Wayne, I can't wait! The equitech and bpt units are the only ones he feels are fit for digital amps that do not limit dynamics at this price FYI.

that reminds me....

I ran my amp without a conditioner for a few days last week.... no noticeable loss of dynamics at all.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2005, 11:06:15 AM »
Tim,

So you don't notice a loss of dynamics with or without? 

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Tim

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2005, 11:22:49 AM »
sorry, I mispoke... I ran without the furutech for a few days last week and didn't notice any increased dynamics, when I hooked back up there was no loss in dynamics.

my amp is incredibly dynamic... I think I would have noticed.

that's what I get for posting at 8am :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2005, 01:27:38 PM »
Good news, now the question is did it make any difference (inserting the Furutech)?

Offline Tim

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2005, 01:39:21 PM »
Good news, now the question is did it make any difference (inserting the Furutech)?

oh it makes a huge difference... there is NO background nosie whatsoever with it in my system

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2005, 04:37:01 PM »
Glad to hear it works for you!!   I am going to be trying the Shunyata stuff once I finish my tube-rolling experiment.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2005, 04:48:38 PM »
I'll throw my offer out once again for anyone interested:

I'll build you the condioner if you just pay for the parts (about $300).  It would be my first one (prototype) but I assure everyone that it will be a top notch product.  I just don't have the cash for this and my other "toys" at the moment but really wanna build one!   Feel free to PM me for details.

I've had a few people PM me and thought I'd add  some more pricing info.

All prices are approximate but should be pretty close (+/- $20)

8.5 amp version = $300
12.5 amp version = $350
16.5 amp version = $400

« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 05:51:36 PM by BCostigan »
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

BobW

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2005, 05:57:20 PM »
I think thatthe complaints of reduced dynamics are only valid when the power conditioner cannot deliver the VAs that the system needs.
A high-current conditioner of solid design should be transparent.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2005, 07:38:10 AM »
I don't necessarily agree with that statement; it's not just VAs, but I think is related to "circuit" design.  Every power conditioner I've had in my system has had a NEGATIVE impact on the sound (except for one, as mentioned, the PS Audio P300) and reduced dynamics is one thing I have noticed repeatedly.  Mind you, this isn't llike the system lost power, per se; but that the dynamic difference between loud and soft shadings is less than normal, lending a more compressed feel to the music.  I don't think this is necessaily a lack of current...  Those P300s don't put out much current, anyway.

I do think a good power conditioner should just do it's job without calling attention to itself in a negative way--and from what I've heard from folks, I need to try some of the newer designs.  I think the old school "filter" designs could really be the issue.

I still don't understand how the Furutech works, but hell, if it helps...

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2005, 10:11:52 AM »
Why are we plugging amps into power conditioners?  Everything I've ever read states to hook the amp directly up to the outlet.  I guess if you have bad power that is another story.  Most hook analog and digital equipment up to reduce the impact of one on the other.  I'm looing into the Equitech, PP300, and UPC200.  Either way I will end up with a PP300 at some point, but will only want digital equipment on it.  The UPC will be to split the 2 types of equipment.

sc.

Offline Tim

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2005, 10:14:50 AM »
Why are we plugging amps into power conditioners? Everything I've ever read states to hook the amp directly up to the outlet. I guess if you have bad power that is another story.

I live in a 20 story apartment building. I figured plugging the amp directly into the furutech would make more sense than letting it share power with 150 other apartments :)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2005, 10:36:11 AM »
my experience comes mainly from tube guitar amps, but I had a Sovtek amp that was very sensitive to current levels.   So much so that I am pretty sure it might have messed it up a bit... maybe this is more an argument for surge protector than a conditioner, but I intend to use a conditioner on my amp, based on the experience that I had with that sovtek.  Sound quality went from really good to total crap within 2 weeks of acquiring it... and the repair clows didn't know what was wrong with it.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2005, 12:22:13 PM »
My stuff has been plugged direct into the wall for a decade (except for trials of power conditioners) and I have had 0 problems, tubed or otherwise...  Just another data point.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2005, 12:47:25 PM »
Just another data point.

And prolly a more applicable one than mine.  FWIW - I have also read that most amps have power conditioning built in...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2005, 03:11:45 PM »
Why are we plugging amps into power conditioners? Everything I've ever read states to hook the amp directly up to the outlet. I guess if you have bad power that is another story.

I live in a 20 story apartment building. I figured plugging the amp directly into the furutech would make more sense than letting it share power with 150 other apartments :)

That's exactly what a conditioner does: Isoltaes whatever is plugged into it from the "outside world"....electrically.   There are lots of "bad" things put back into any given power system....our concearn is mostly noise created by motors.  Noise in a system will depend largely on where you live.  If you're in a 200 unit apt building you can be sure there will be far more noise than if you live in the middle of nowhere and your house is the only one fed by a utilities transformer.  Every time a fridge compressor turns on your tunes are suffering.  :)
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com