Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Quick Opera Question  (Read 2212 times)

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Padres Rule Your Face
Quick Opera Question
« on: November 01, 2006, 03:16:25 PM »
Which recording of Das Rheingold (Wagner) is the best?  Is it the Morris recording with the Met from 89?
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Quick Opera Question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 03:56:50 PM »
Gimme a few hours and I'll get back to you on that (even though I'm the singer in the house, I'm not much of a Wagnerian.  My spouse, however, is. So watch this space for a long list of specifics!)

Edited to add:  Which kind of "best" do you mean, btw?  Recording quality, excitement, gorgeous voices or...?  Yeah - in a perfect world you get all of them (and a bunch of other things too) but that's rare.   Generally, the Solti/Culshaw (producer) Ring Cycle recording is considered one of the PINNACLES of classical recording of all time.  Some people prefer the live Bayreuth recordings from the 40s, however.  FANTASTIC musicmaking, although if modern recording technology is a high priority, you won't like it.

So, let me have a few more details and I'll get a LOT more info for you!! 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 04:00:13 PM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 04:43:49 PM »
I'll go with voices/performance over recording quality.

by the way, the version I'm talking about has Levine as the conductor.  I'm much more a Puccini/Verdi guy than Wagner, but I've got this itch to get a copy of Das Rheingold.

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 05:17:31 PM »
My personal favorite is the Levine one... with Morris, Norman, Moll, Gary Lakes..(James morris is one of my singing heroes)Christa Ludwig...
http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Ring-Nibelungen-Richard/dp/B000001GMW/sr=1-1/qid=1162419315/ref=sr_1_1/002-5278084-3720831?ie=UTF8&s=music
http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Die-Walk%C3%BCre-Richard/dp/B000001G95/sr=1-1/qid=1162419171/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-5278084-3720831?ie=UTF8&s=music

the Von Karajan is also great..but the Met is amazing..(I admit that I am a sucker for anything with James Morris because he sounds like a deity)

http://www.amazon.ca/Ring-Nibelungen-Comp-Herbert-Karajan/dp/B000009CMV   <<<Von Karajan

I dont like the Solti/Culshaw version because it is sorta lo-fi , production wise. That was the first ever recorded ring. (BTW, grab the book called RING RESOUNDING for the full story of how this, the 1st one was recorded)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 05:23:04 PM by Teddy »

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 05:21:17 PM »
btw Robyn and I are supposed to go to see opening night of Die Wulkerie with Placido doing his final version of Sigmund.  Should be really cool.  I wish he wasn't a bit past his prime.

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 08:35:35 PM »
Best?  There is a bunch of love for this one:

Solti's is said to have the coolest sound-effects. Glorious anvils and hammers, real animal parts used to create other sounds.     ;D

Beyond that, I have only listened to the entire piece three or four times in my life.

Which begs the question...why do you want to know?

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 09:37:59 PM »
The Domingo Walkuere....  in DC in March?  I was nearly IN that, but alas, not to be this time....

Recommendations from my in-house Wagner expert:

Levine:  Note perfect but somewhat heartless; decent recording quality - 1980's DG digital at its best.  [edited to add: it appears there are TWO Levine recordings - the earlier one mentioned with Christa Ludwig - isn't that on DVD? - and the DG one referred to here, with Behrens et al, recorded somewhat more recently]

Solti: This Ring Cycle considered by many to be THE cycle, and a pinnacle of pioneering stereo recording - that said a great recording, but not necessarily a great PERFORMANCE.  Culshaw's stereo effects and tricks, but the singing not as good as  you'd expect.

Karajan:  Superbly conducted, but somehow sounds like chamber music - some weird recording things in that it's overmiked (so that instruments are WAY clearer than normallyin the texture) and Dietrich Fischer Dieskau as Wotan sounds like he has his own personal echo chamber (ie TOTALLY different acoustic)

Fuertwaengler (two different recordings, 1 La Scala, 1 RAI - both live): musically a revelation, however the sound is acceptable at best and the Italian orchestra doesn't really "get" Wagner... and in some cases can't play it terribly well!! (Some brass whoopsies - eek!)

Knappertsbusch (Live) -hard to find but INCREDIBLE. Ca 1956.  I'm just not in the Wagner cult (I probably SHOULD sing it, but haven't yet) and this recording sets me alight and makes me WANT to learn it. It's amaaaazzzinnnggg. 

HTH - post back or PM if there's any other info you'd like (about this or any other matters operatic :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 09:42:50 PM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 09:40:39 PM »
PS Agree with Teddy -  Ring Resounding is a must-read.... for recording enthusisasts as much as Wagner and opera lovers!
DPA4060
R09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com