Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: is this possible? reciever/amp config  (Read 1781 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
is this possible? reciever/amp config
« on: December 20, 2006, 02:49:02 PM »
ok, so I am coming from a very basic and cheap playback system that is also my liveing room 5.1 system.  I recently ordered a 3806, but after two weeks, found that they are out of stock...no wonder they were so cheap.   :banging head: :banging head:

I have never really looked into playback a whole lot.  I would like to upgrade, and have recently purchased new speakers (rega R3 for front and Rega R1 for back).  I was planning on running the 3806, but now I am thinking about other options.  so again, I am a total newb, and don't even know if this can be done.

what I would LIKE to do is keep my current reciever, but send the signal from that to an amplifier that would send the signal out to the R3's, but still let the reciever handle the signal to the r1's/sub.  The amplifier I would like to have two inputs (switchable), one from the reciever for the TV/MOVIES, and one from the DVD player for my music.  This way I still get 5.1 from movies, but have the 2 channel from the amp only, and can leave the R3's hooked up to the amp at all times.  Does this make sense?

can it be done?  if so, any amp rec's for a budget of ~$600?   I would LOVE to have headphones out also..but not needed.

here is a diagram to show what I would like.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 02:51:13 PM by RaZoRbAcK »
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: is this possible? reciever/amp config
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 02:54:14 PM »
i don't think you can do exactly what you are talking about.  why would you try to skip the pre-amp section of the receiver when you are playing back music? 

there are plenty of receivers that have pre-amp outputs to run to power amps to channel some or all speakers.  so you can definitely do that part of it.  it doesn't matter if your speakers are all being fed from the same amp.  however, you will have to do some calibration to make sure the levels are equalized.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 02:57:42 PM »
i don't think you can do exactly what you are talking about.  why would you try to skip the pre-amp section of the receiver when you are playing back music? 

there are plenty of receivers that have pre-amp outputs to run to power amps to channel some or all speakers.  so you can definitely do that part of it.  it doesn't matter if your speakers are all being fed from the same amp.  however, you will have to do some calibration to make sure the levels are equalized.

i think what Im not explaining correctly is that my reciever is cheap.  I only want to keep it for the 5.1 for movies etc (i like the rumble of the sub  :o )  i would LOVE to bypass the reciever all togethor when listening to music.  i do not believe it has a passthrough for the signal, so I want to cut it out of the chain.  Maybe what I meant by amp is preamp?  i dont know...I would just like to integrate it all....i figured it wasn't possible, but thought I would ask first.  I really don't want to pony up >1000$ for a reciever right now, but it looks like I will.  thanx Damon.

[edit]what i really had in mind was something like the YS Audio that Skalinder has for sale.  but looking further into it...it doesnt have speaker hookups...ha..shows how little i know about playback.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 03:05:18 PM by RaZoRbAcK »
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 03:10:11 PM »
I think I understand what you are trying to do and it should be possible. If I understand it correctly you basically want to be able to have two seperate signal paths.

DVD > 5.1 reciever > all speakers

DVD > amp > main speakers

you really just need a switch to be able to select the source feeding your mains. run the amp signal into one input on the switch and the 5.1 reciever into another input. Then run the output to your mains. then you can select which source feeds the mains. If you want to watch movies select the 5.1 reciever. if you are just listening to tunes select the amp. I'm not sure exactly what switch you'll need, but I'd be willing to bet that you could find one.

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 12:07:04 AM »
Running DVD>power amp, the line level output of the DVD player might not be hot enough to be satisfying. Plus that way you will not have any way to control the volume right?

I also have never seen power amps that have two inputs.

Some decent amp manufacturers in that price range to check out are Adcom, Parasound, NAD, Rotel, Arcam.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com