Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Track Splitting question....  (Read 5470 times)

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Track Splitting question....
« on: May 11, 2003, 02:39:10 PM »
Hey, i use Cool Edit pro, and i was having trouble splitting the tracks of the last moe show i taped. Some of them turned out ok flawless DAO, but others didn't they werent horrible but i'm really picky, all but like 2 of the 20 people i asked to listen to it didn't noticed the little points where i separated the tracks.  I went in there and separated and you can separate it to the 1000 of a second, and thats what i did, consecutivly, so track 1 ended at say 15:34.365 then track 2 started at 15:34.366. I don't have anything on the master copy fromthe show, or when transfered. but when the tracks were split it did that.  Any help would be cool, thanks all.

peace.
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re:Track Splitting question....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 03:07:45 PM »
get CD wave for track splitting.  There is a link to the page on www.etree.org . That program will get rid of the issues you are referring to.

Nick

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2003, 03:09:20 PM »
There's a way to do it in CEP and CE2K, but I found it a PITA.  There are tutorials on how to do it at the Syntrillium website:

DEP:  http://support.syntrillium.com/cep/tutorials.html
CE2K:  http://support.syntrillium.com/cooledit/tutorials.html

I don't bother tracking with CE, though.  I track all my shows using CD-Wave.  Shareware, super easy to use (not a PITA like CE), always tracks on sector boundaries so you don't get a click between songs.

http://www.homepages.hetnet.nl/~mjmlooijmans/cdwave/

It just doesn't get any easier.

Heh, yeah - what Nick said.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2003, 03:09:35 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2003, 03:41:25 PM »
It is kind of funny, when I was converting my first tape a while back, I was trying to do it in SF and CEP, and was getting all of the problems referred to earlier.  I was thinking to myself that there had to be a better way...and sure enough, CD Wave was thrown my direction.  

Great tool...great price point, I can't imagine why anyone would use anything else!

Nick

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2003, 09:02:35 PM »
Nick, i saw your post and just had a question for you... How do you like th 391(3)>MP2 combo? I'm trying to piece a rig together and was looking at this as a possiblity

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2003, 09:48:57 PM »
Geoff, I like it actually.  I have only run it in this combo for one show so far (Particle) last week, but it sounds nice.  If you want to give it a listen, it is up on www.archive.org  or contact me and I can hook you up.

I will also be running it this Thursday night for a female singer/songwriter type band....so I should have those samples soon as well.

Nick

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2003, 11:26:50 PM »
I went in there and separated and you can separate it to the 1000 of a second, and thats what i did, consecutivly, so track 1 ended at say 15:34.365 then track 2 started at 15:34.366.

I agree with what's been said here so far - use CD-Wave - but just because it hasn't been explicitly explained: Your problem is using 1000ths of a second as your cut point.

Because of the CD standard, the smallest whole unit a CD player can read is a sector, which is 1/75th of a second. Since CD audio is 44.1 samples per second, some simple math, 44100/75 = 588 samples per frame.

CD-Wave calculates all this stuff for you and basically 'rounds' your marker to the closest multiple of 588 samples. Like the other respondents have said, it's possible with a variety of programs, but it usually involves setting up your program to display in samples and then do the math yourself, or to display in frames and manually set 75 frames per second and then make sure you cut on those lines.

Another alternative is to keep doing what you're doing, and use shntool (which you can grab for free from http://etree.org/shnutils) to fix your files after you've cut them up. The command you want is shnfix -o shn *, with two caveats:

1) '-o shn' can be replaced by '-o wav' or '-o aiff' or whatever format you want as your output of the job. If you're making SHNs, this is a timesaver because you can fix/shift to sector boundaries and convert to SHN at the same time, but if you just want to fix your wavs, then use '-o wav'.

2) Make sure that you run this command on either the entire show or entire sets. If you do this on a disc-by-disc basis, and someone wants to reassemble the show later on longer media (DVD-A, for example), they'll get the same clicks you've described when they come to the end of where a disc split used to be.

Hope this helps!

--Dave
« Last Edit: May 12, 2003, 08:53:40 AM by greenone »
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2003, 08:46:47 AM »
Excellent description of why it occurs.  I never knew *why* it happened, I just always used CDWav because it *did* happen.  Now i know!  Thanks, Dave. +T

I'll add that for 24 bit it doesn't matter, as there aren't any "sector boundaries" to worry about (at least in current media spec).  I didn't know that, either, for the longest time  :D

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 05:32:31 PM »
thanks dave, with me next few shows coming, up i will definitly try that out, +t to you man..
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com