Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744T Issue  (Read 5617 times)

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: 744T Issue
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 05:32:16 PM »
The other thing is it worked flawlessly until I installed the new firmware....many times out, no issues.  After I upgraded, BOOM, issues.  Rolling back didn't correct it either.  I'm half convinced there's some kind of artifact lingering from the updated firmware that is still messing things up...
I can bet on that the firmware update is not the problem. That the problem started at the same time is pure coincidence. DonĀ“t focus on that problem, check every other possibility. Focusing on one problem, perceived as most likely, is a typical error in fault finding. We all do it all the time, but it rarely leads to the source. Instead consider all possible failures as equally possible until you have positive proof.

My personal guess is that heat makes the voltage of the battery pack go low enough to not feed the ST350 box enough.

Gunnar

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 06:25:49 PM »
I assume you have fed the two outputs of the SF box into both pairs of inputs.  Or, you would have noticed it failing on the line-in's as opposed to the mic-in's run as line-in.  So, strike that.

Here is what I would do: I would go outside with the gear and set it up saying everything you do - maybe even writing it down - to set up and run.  Try it a few times.  If the list is the same every time and it fails, quick plug something else into the SD and see what happens.  If it changes, it is the SF.  If it does not, the SD is screwing up.

You sure have my sympathies as this has to be driving you mad, stark, raving mad.  To have such a great setup and have it fail and not know why.  I am confident you will soon.  And I really think going through your regular setup procedures in the backyard until it fails is now your best hope.  Unless some soul can come up with a better answer.  I'd try it.

Best of luck to you.

Only 1 output going B Format.  It's a 10 pin lemo out to 4 XLR. There's no option to switch cables going in or out of the 350.  The 350 is always powered on and running long after the *lock up* we'll call it.  I power down the 744, wait power it back up and the signal is good again and I can continue recording. 

Thanks for the feedback though. +T's around.

I decided to call SD and have them ship the unit back to me and I'm gonna run it this week and document what happens, when, settings, etc  I'm also going to try reducing the file size limit to 1GB to see if that helps.  Maybe the switch in files earlier might resolve it...

Craig T, if you read this do ask Sam tonight if you see him.  If I can use his 744 it might be better...just to test it all out on another deck to see if it happens on his.
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 07:59:44 PM »
I read that you power down and then up again.  Red herring?  Is it an indicator?  Sheesh.  The loaner 788T sounds like a really good idea.  I think that SD would make it whole and refund the money and the postage if it was their fault.

Good luck.  I know you are in tapers withdrawal and that is an awful thing to witness.  Not to worry, untreated it only lasts a few months.   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 08:16:29 PM »
I read that you power down and then up again.  Red herring?  Is it an indicator?  Sheesh.  The loaner 788T sounds like a really good idea.  I think that SD would make it whole and refund the money and the postage if it was their fault.

Good luck.  I know you are in tapers withdrawal and that is an awful thing to witness.  Not to worry, untreated it only lasts a few months.   8)

Yeah, their stance has been until they can replicate it, they can't replace it.  I haven't pressed too hard.  If worse comes to worse and the other 744T comes up 100%, then I'll raise my voice a bit.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 09:01:28 PM »
Chris, SD has always been good to me.  By that I mean they have been fair.  They take what is theirs and give what is mine.  They really helped with a new 722 which was giving me problems.  A used one had power supply problems and they charged me to repair it: two hours labor for a $1.00 part.  LOL  In each instance what they did was fair.

When the new one was failing intermittently and I said I needed it for a gig on Thursday, and I told them on a Monday, they overnighted a new one to me and kept mine.  That is service.  If it is their fault I am pretty sure they will do right by you.  Tatooles and his crew read the boards.  They know what folks think about them.  Aren't you glad that you didn't buy the nice, new $15K Aaton and have it fail?!   France is a long ways off.

Good luck with shooting the bug. 

Eat some damned blue crabs for me, will ya!?  And hushpuppies    8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 11:41:27 PM »
They've always been good to me.  I've had them service a 722 a couple times and also this 744 when I first got it...no issues, quick turnaround, etc.  Nothing but good experiences for me so far.  I think I'm just a bit pessimistic about this one because of the uncertainty of it all. 

Honestly I was a little taken back when they wanted to charge $80 for me to use a loaner while they looked at mine.  I was under the presumption it would be a replacement while it was being diagnosed...and also a 2nd way to test if it was a problem with the preamp or deck.  That kind of ticked me a bit.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 11:44:12 PM by F0CKER »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com