Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best batteries/CF cards for FR2-LE  (Read 7940 times)

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Best batteries/CF cards for FR2-LE
« on: August 10, 2008, 06:38:08 PM »
Hey guys, in celebration of my one-year taping anniversary, I got all slutty and purchased some Avantone CK1 mics (from a TS.com taper) and a new Fostex FR2-LE from an eBay retailer. ;D I was looking for a pre for the mics to run to my R-09, but couldn't find anything I felt comfortable with so I found a good deal on the FR2-LE and said what the heck and went ahead and upgraded to an all-in-one box to run the mics. A recorder upgrade would have been the next step anyway.
It was more than I initially wanted to spend but I figured I'll have a nice open rig and a nice open/stealth rig (CA-11>STC-9000>R-09P) as well. I actually have about as much in the new rig as the started rig. Not to mention I have some items I can sell on eBay (non-taper related) to hopefully cover it.

Anyhoo, I was wondering what batteries (AAs) seem to get the best time (4-6 hours max for most shows I go to) and what CF cards are the most compatible?

What I liked the most about the FT2-LE IS the battery options and the fact I don't need a preamp (with all the messy extra batteries).

I'm excited about his new rig and should be trying it out Aug. 19th and taking it to the Black Crows show in Birmingham Nov. 15.

Thanks in advance and all the help from TS.com members!

MSTaper
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Best batteries/CF cards for FR2-LE
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 06:51:57 PM »
Look on new egg for CF cards. Look on ebay for the RC battery

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 07:19:29 PM »
Thanks setboy. I just purchased a new 1gb RAM chip for my PC from New Egg. Really good deals.

I was just wondering what brand of CF card FR2-LE users found to work the best. I know with the R-09 there were issues with some "off brand" cards and didn't want to run into any problems. I figure a Type II Sandisk will work. The 4gb I've had in my R-09 for the past year has worked flawlessly.

Thanks, MSTaper
Edirol UA-5

Offline setboy

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 07:26:56 PM »
Thanks setboy. I just purchased a new 1gb RAM chip for my PC from New Egg. Really good deals.

I was just wondering what brand of CF card FR2-LE users found to work the best. I know with the R-09 there were issues with some "off brand" cards and didn't want to run into any problems. I figure a Type II Sandisk will work. The 4gb I've had in my R-09 for the past year has worked flawlessly.

Thanks, MSTaper

I run the A-data cards. I have two of the 16 GBs. I have never had anything go worng with them.

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Are you FR2-LE tapers using 4gb or 8gb cards and if so, how much time are you getting at the various bit rates? The shows I tape locally normally run 3-4 hours (total) with sets lasting from 1/2 hour to two hours. Thanks. MSTaper
Edirol UA-5

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 10:25:14 PM »
I run an 8 gig A-data card and I think I get 4 hours+ recording 24/48
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 12:45:37 PM »
i run kingston and sandisk 4gb cards  w/o fail. i can get 4 hours on each at 24/44.1
get the "tamiya style" 7.2v rc batteries, you can usually find a package w/ charger on ebay for ~60 bucks.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 03:20:08 PM »
Thanks guys, I've used a Sandisk 4gb Ultra II SD in my R-09 and never had a problem, so I'll probably get a Sandisk 4gb CF for the FR-2LE.

Has anyone used the Hitachi microdrive? There's an outfit that has them for $19 on eBay new, 4gb type.

I'd like 2 4gb cards just to be on the safe side. I haven't seen any good inexpensive 8gb cards.

I've been checking out the Tamiya style 7.2v batts on eBay. Many deals, but haven't seen many chargers. Will probably run on some good alkalines until I can a couple of these.

Thanks for the help. MSTaper :headphones:
Edirol UA-5

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 03:39:26 PM »
4gb Hitachi microdrive works in both my FR2 and FR2LE. The one thing you would need to keep an eye on is your battery meter since the microdrive uses more juice than a CF card since it has moving parts (which are also prone to failure).

While it is not as neat a solution as using a 7.2v RC batt since they aren't internal, both the FR2 and LE run on 9.6v RC batts as well as the infamous wallyworld DVD battery provided you use the proper connectors. I had both already and didn't see a the need to get 7.2v batts.

I've successfully used the following in both units with the only problems being due to operator error.
4gb microdrive
4gb Sandisk Ultra II CF cards
4 & 8 gb PQI 100 CF cards
8gb A-Data "Speedy" CF card (thanks Raphael)

Last time I looked at newegg, they had the 8gb A-data cards for ~$30/35.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 03:41:29 PM by flipp »

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 06:09:09 PM »
I would stick with SanDisk for the cards (don't get less than 8GB) and forget the AA batteries and get a Tamiya rechargeable and a fast charger.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 07:34:49 PM »
i use the 16gb adata with no probs too
also got batts from ebay
most of the battery dealers are the same people with different names anyway
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 09:39:24 PM »
Are you FR2-LE tapers using 4gb or 8gb cards and if so, how much time are you getting at the various bit rates? The shows I tape locally normally run 3-4 hours (total) with sets lasting from 1/2 hour to two hours. Thanks. MSTaper

These are generic rates/estimates. As a rule of thumb, I knock off an 1/8th in case 1gb = 1000 and not 1024 or other formatting anomalies.

- WAV (24-bit/96 kHz): 27 mins/GB
- WAV (24-bit/88.2 kHz): 30 mins/GB
- WAV (24-bit/48 kHz): 54 mins/GB
- WAV (24-bit/44.1 kHz): 59 mins/GB
- WAV (16-bit/96 kHz): 40 mins/GB
- WAV (16-bit/88.2 kHz): 44 mins/GB
- WAV (16-bit/48 kHz): 81 mins/GB
- WAV (16-bit/44.1 kHz): 88 mins/GB

I can't remember where I picked up that information, it might have been from an Edirol r-09 site, but PCM is PCM and shouldn't vary if much. I meant to post this yesterday and forgot.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline setboy

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 09:47:28 PM »
look here http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,199.0.html for how much time you can get

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 12:11:06 AM »
Thanks guys. Sounds good. Most of the shows I tape don't last four hours, but you never know. A good 8 gb card would be good, but most are still expensive (for me). New Egg does have the 8gb A-Data "Speedy" for about $25, which is a great price. Sounds like it's already been used by tapers so I'll probably go with this one. Again, thanks for all the help. MSTaper.
Edirol UA-5

Offline Petrus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 02:56:46 AM »
If you need really long working times from AAs, the Energizer Lithium batteries can not be beat, they come in both AA and AAA sizes. They give about 2.5 times longer recording times than any alkaline or AA size rechargeble. 40% lighter too, and 10 year shelf life. The only down side is the high price. I have used them in wireless systems and in Zoom H4 they give a continuous recording time of almost 8 hours versus 3 with alkalines (with phantom on).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com