Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audio for video  (Read 6115 times)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: audio for video
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 05:48:23 PM »
I'm getting a canon 7D which does have a mic in, it will be similar if not identical to the 5D I suspect with audio. Not familiar with an attenuating cable but would like to hear more.
an attenuating cable cuts down the signal by _db (whatever its made for)
i have a -20db from microphone madness

so lets say you have the new camera and it has a fixed gain of 10db - the cable i have would cut the incoming signal down -10db from what it is
basically getting rid of the 10 db the camera adds and cutting it another 10
the extra 10 might or might not be a issue but you can always boost the signal in post production if need be

attenuators are "common" for taping out of a soundboard, there are many xlr version, the mic madness one i have is a 1/8

It would seem like an attenuating cable into the iPhone would solve the clipping.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline fleshoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 05:51:16 PM »
Yeah you know I'm going to try that as I was liking what I got outside the clipping

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 05:03:29 AM »
It would seem like an attenuating cable into the iPhone would solve the clipping.

Yeah, but it doesn't mean that it'll sound good, depending on which way you feed the iPhone.
Going mono-in via the headset connector you'll be depending on third-party gear - some might clip, other not.
Read the discussion at the end of this page:
http://blog.faberacoustical.com/2009/iphone/iphone-headset-input-options/

Also, beware that the headset connector has a built-in bass roll off. Depending on iPhone generation, you might lose everything below 200Hz:
http://blog.faberacoustical.com/2009/iphone/iphone-dock-and-headset-io-frequency-response/

Going line-in via the dock connector, you have better accessories, but they'll likely cost you at least $50 (so you might as well get yourself a H3x0 for the money instead!  ;D):
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,118890.msg1663392.html#msg1663392
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline fleshoff

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 08:47:28 AM »
Thanks I will do that if a solution isn't available once the camera comes. There is a hack for the 5D that might be very easy to port over to the 7D that disables the AGC, but no one will know until the camera is released, and that would make the whole issue moot for me. If not I will be buying one of the recommendations in this thread.

Offline milo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 05:09:58 PM »
I just want to reiterate the need for a clapboard in frame.  Once your audio is recorded off camera life goes to hell without a timecode link between camera and recorder.  Seeing as how that is out of your budget, you need to do everything possible to allow easy sync up later on in post.  I really can't stress this enough.  I recently assembled a movie from DATs with no timecode, in Japanese (which I don't speak) and it was only possible due to their obsessive use of the clapboard, and nevertheless took a week.  Use it, or don't at your own peril, and make sure to voice slate everything that way you can marry it and forget that you ever had to work without timecode.
R-44 Oade SuperMod > Sold to a Taper
SD MP-2
SD 744t

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 10:44:10 AM »
how does a clap board help you with drift?
of course it helps line up the start but can it do anything to help you in the video 30 mins lets say
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Toki

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 11:10:12 AM »
in sony vegas, you can find "claps" in both ends of your audio tracks, align the beginnings and then stretch the ends with a single mouse click for a perfect sync.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com