Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best digital recorder under $150  (Read 7162 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Best digital recorder under $150
« on: December 01, 2010, 12:50:28 PM »
Okay, I think I'm finally ready to make the jump to a digital recorder.  I looked into the sony pcm-m10 but it is still out of my budget. That being said, my budget is $150 and I'm still trying to make the decision between either the zoom hr1 and the multitude of tascam models. I like to keep low profile and if possible would like to bypass a battery box, although I already have one if needed. My mic is a ca-1 and from past responses was told this would work fine with something like the tascam dr 7. Of late most of my recordings have been my kids concerts, bluegrass, and country shows, although I still like to get to the occasional rock/metal show.

Basically, I'd like to get a few varying opinions and who has the best deals and service. (I know from past experience sound professionals has some good deals, but now I'll have the money to do this.) Keeping my fingers crossed with the holiday specials.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Best digital recorder under $150
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 03:14:54 PM »
If the sony M10 is out of your price range you may want to look into the Tascam DR07 (only records 24/48).  I have seen deals lately for around $99.  I would add another $50 to your budget and get the sony it would be worth it. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline DaveH

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 05:26:52 PM »
Unfortunately my budget is $150. I've been thinking about the tascam models and the zoom h2 or h1. Concerning the many different tascam models, at they pretty much the same, just in different forms? I hear a lot about the cheap build of these models, is any one better? I'm pretty careful with the gear but do occasionally stealth.

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 06:03:43 AM »
Hi DaveH,

I've got to tell you, without any ownership experience of either of these, that I would be going for the Tascam.

Tascam have a history of building recorders- multitracks and location machines. Zoom have a history of guitar FX pedals. The Tascam stuff will be "standard" rather than "quirky" and I would think will last.

That's my opinion anyway...

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline DaveH

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 06:08:29 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out. Now it's just a matter of deciding on which model. I noticed the dr8 is 24 bit and 96 khz whereas the only models under a hundred are only 48 khz. But I've read the dr-8 has a pain in the but internal mic. Not that I'm planning on using it, but some say it is obtrusive.

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 08:19:59 AM »
somebody pointed out to me that with the 96k format you are looking at twice the storage space on the media.

I think you then have to ask yourself; what length of takes are you anticipating and what kind of storage space will you need on the media? and how are you going to playback/ultimately store the material you gather...?

I don't have anything that approaches 96K myself as I'm still on Mini Disc at the moment (although I can record uncompressed) but for me, with the kind of material I am gathering which is often near silence, 96K would be very appealing...
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline mhlsr

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 08:27:01 PM »
Try Sweetwater , great customer service, they offer 3 payment plans.-
http://www.sweetwater.com/c1006--Portable_Recorders

Offline PeteJE

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 02:07:38 AM »
I would save, beg, borrow or steal an extra $45 and get the M10.  I got it for 194.95 from zzounds.com (not their listed price, but they have a price beating policy - I sent them a link to a $199 listing from a competitor and they sent me an offer at 194.95).  No tax, no shipping - a true 194.95.  It is worth waaay more than $45 over anything you will find in the 150 range.  I am not trying to break you budget, but you are so close and the M10 is something you won't need or want to upgrade from if you want truly quality, highly portable recording.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 04:57:38 AM »
My first small SD card recorder was the DR-07. Things I liked about it: Cheap. Things I didn't like: Batteries didn't last that long.

Then I upgraded to the M10. SOOOOO MUCH BETTER than the DR-07. Easier to operate (especially when running stealth). And the batteries last FOREVER. Also it comes with 4GB of internal memory so you can factor that into the price since you don't have to buy additional memory.

The M10 is easily twice as good. Yep it costs twice as much, but it's worth way more than 2X IMO.

Another vote for "save your pennies"
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 06:21:33 AM »
Got the Tascam DR-07, i run it with Sanyo Eneloops 2000 mAh so i got no problems with battery running time.

One benefit if you are using Line in, the line-in jack is not the best - the cable can get out very easy (happened to NMA Berlin on saturday to me  :-\) - for comparison the jacks on Chris Churches Preamp are holding the cable very strong and good.  ;D

Another one - max. file size is 2 GB, so recording with 48k / 24 bit is limited a bit over 2 hours.

So currently the sony is the better option ..
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 07:18:54 PM »
Rockboxed iRiver iHP-120
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 09:53:09 PM »
Got the Tascam DR-07, i run it with Sanyo Eneloops 2000 mAh so i got no problems with battery running time.

One benefit if you are using Line in, the line-in jack is not the best - the cable can get out very easy (happened to NMA Berlin on saturday to me  :-\) - for comparison the jacks on Chris Churches Preamp are holding the cable very strong and good.  ;D

Another one - max. file size is 2 GB, so recording with 48k / 24 bit is limited a bit over 2 hours.

So currently the sony is the better option ..
It automatically splits at 2gb. That is a software limitation- AFAIK the M10 has the same thing- this is nothing bad. With the type of firmware and hardware these are running the max recognizable file by the system is 2gb. It seamlessly splits at 2gb and starts a new file. Shouldn't be an issue.
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline DaveH

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 05:39:54 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I will have to wait until friday to truly know how much I have to work with. I'd really love to go with the sony but I haven't ruled out the tascam models yet. I will just have to wait and see.  8)

Offline DaveH

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 08:04:06 PM »
Just moved out of the middle ages (mini disc recorder) and went with the sony pcm-m10.  ;D Many thanks for all the help and input, picked it up at zzounds for $194.95.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 09:07:27 PM »
Your budget was $194.95.  >:D
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com