Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best budget internal mics?  (Read 6850 times)

Offline ManaTau80

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Best budget internal mics?
« on: August 13, 2013, 10:49:17 AM »
So I'm new to all of this, and looking for a portable recorder for wandering around and grabbing samples.

I need something less than $300 and truly portable/handheld. I won't be using any external microphones; I know I probably should, but it just doesn't suit my purposes.

I'm trying to choose between the Roland R-05, the PCM-M10, Zoom H2N and Tascam DR-07. Of course, if there's anything I've missed, let me know. I don't need multiple tracks, or built-in reverb, or anything like that; just simple, straightforward stereo recording.

It seems the PCM-M10 sounds nicest (significantly less tinny and noisy than the Zoom and Tascam), but it's by far the most expensive and the stereo image seems pretty darn awful with the internal mics. The Roland R-05 just came on my radar today, but seems promising.

Any suggestions?

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Best budget internal mics?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 11:39:31 AM »
I'd also audition the Olympus LS-14: http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/audio/ls-14.html

It has 2 cardioid (directional toward the front - rejects sound to the rear) mics plus a single omnidirectional (only slightly directional - but captures the low end better than the cardioids) mic. I had the LS-11 and it was a really nice quality unit.

One thing about hand-held recorders to be aware of is that they pick up handling noises while you're recording. I'd recommend a tripod or I think I've also seen handles which screw in to the camera mount on the recorder.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »
I owned a Sony D-50 for a short period of time and i used them once with excellent results. (not really Budget thou)
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline ManaTau80

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 03:04:44 PM »
Yeah, the D-50 is a bit out of my price range. Again, I'm interested in the M10, but the stereo imaging does not seem at all promising.

I'll definitely check out that Olympus.

Any one have experience with the Roland?

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:50:06 PM »
I'm still working on the comparison, but the Zoom H6 XY is staying even with the Sony PCM-D50. The H2n did not make that cut. So I'd recommend that you save another $100 or wait for a chance to grab an H6 used or open box unless you expect your sources to be loud.

Fran

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 06:57:55 PM »
My favourite walk-around / pocket  rig is a modest Sony SX750 in conjunction with Roland in-ear mics.  True, the mics are therefore not internal, but they're not hand held either, and for stealth recording in the street or in buildings, it's an inconspicuous rig.  Outdoors, wind noise can be a problem however.

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »
Here's a thread on the Teac VR-10. Apparently the OP got one for $26 brand new. There are links in the thread to recordings that are pretty good for such a cheap recorder.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=159584.0
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline ManaTau80

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 03:22:48 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Exactly how bad is the stereo image with the M10? I know it's not great, but haven't heard much other than that. Is the D50 a real improvement?

And any thoughts on the Roland R-05 compared to the others?

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 05:17:45 PM »
Ozpeter feels strongly that the stereo image on the PCM-M10 is bad because it has omni mics that are, obviously, only as far apart as the width of the recorder.

Personally, I don't think it's so horrible. It's not mono. It does have some stereo depth. And if you search around TS you can find a plugin that will expand its stereo image.

Cardioids and omnis each have their uses. If you get a recorder with cardioids you are going to have to keep it pointed at your source because if you move it your volume will fluctuate, while omnis are more forgiving.

You need to consider how you will be using the recorder. Out on the street, omnis might be more useful.

Chimney Top

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 12:24:16 AM »
So I'm new to all of this, and looking for a portable recorder for wandering around and grabbing samples.

I need something less than $300 and truly portable/handheld. I won't be using any external microphones; I know I probably should, but it just doesn't suit my purposes.

I'm trying to choose between the Roland R-05, the PCM-M10, Zoom H2N and Tascam DR-07. Of course, if there's anything I've missed, let me know. I don't need multiple tracks, or built-in reverb, or anything like that; just simple, straightforward stereo recording.

It seems the PCM-M10 sounds nicest (significantly less tinny and noisy than the Zoom and Tascam), but it's by far the most expensive and the stereo image seems pretty darn awful with the internal mics. The Roland R-05 just came on my radar today, but seems promising.

Any suggestions?

for just the internal microphones, I would check out the Olympus line.  LS100 if it's in your budget, the LS20 is video and audio, and then the LS-10, 11 etc.

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 06:41:31 AM »
Here's a thread on the Teac VR-10. Apparently the OP got one for $26 brand new. There are links in the thread to recordings that are pretty good for such a cheap recorder.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Give those samples a try and tell me if you can get something of that quality for less than 50 bucks all in all.
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline ManaTau80

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 04:06:54 PM »
The Teac sounds great, and is very tempting.

LikeASong, I noticed you use an R-05. How do you like it?

Right now I'm leaning towards an Olympus LS-14.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 04:33:56 PM »

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Give those samples a try and tell me if you can get something of that quality for less than 50 bucks all in all.

You probably can't get better quality for less than 50 bucks - because you can't get anything else at that price.  I have one of these and it is a toy.  I use it for recording meetings, and it is great for that, but not much else (in my opinion, YMMV, my 2 cents, etc.).

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 09:53:40 PM »
The Teac sounds great, and is very tempting.

LikeASong, I noticed you use an R-05. How do you like it?

I like it a lot. It's sturdy but light and convenient, and easy to use but reliable. It's obviously a better recorder than the Teac/Tascam (not in terms of sound, but in terms of building quality and resilience), but also 3 or 4 times the price. Only fault I find with it is, precisely, its internal microphones. They just can't handle high SPLs, they distort easily (not like Zoom internals or the Teac's for example).
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Chimney Top

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 10:02:31 PM »
The Teac may have a firmware 'update' or 'hack' that installs the Tascam firmware for 96 kHZ/24 bit sample rate.

looks like a good recorder for the price, $80 on Amazon now, and it was $50 last Nov.-Dec.

The Roland R26 is out of the budget range, but i like the internal mic's... here is sample:

https://soundcloud.com/user203526/david-byrne-and-st-vincent
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:06:11 PM by Chimney Top »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com