Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 Question  (Read 3656 times)

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
722 Question
« on: May 13, 2005, 09:29:33 PM »
Finally fulfilled the dream and bought a rig, new to the forum but I wanted to get peoples opinions and thoughts on the 722.  I am hoping to have it in hand sometime in the next two months.  The whole rig will be Schoeps CMC6 MK4/41'S>722, I figure I will give this a try and see if upgrading to a V3 is something I need to do.  Any downsides to the 722??  Lets here what you have to say pro and con!!!
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re: 722 Question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 09:36:53 PM »
that combo will sound nice...I run my mk41's into a V3, but if I was starting fresh I would give the 722 a hard look.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 11:13:32 PM »
Finally fulfilled the dream and bought a rig, new to the forum but I wanted to get peoples opinions and thoughts on the 722. I am hoping to have it in hand sometime in the next two months. The whole rig will be Schoeps CMC6 MK4/41'S>722, I figure I will give this a try and see if upgrading to a V3 is something I need to do. Any downsides to the 722?? Lets here what you have to say pro and con!!!

Congrats on the 722 heading your way in the future!  No doubt you'll enjoy the Schoeps  / 722 combo.  Search historical posts in this forum for keyword "722" and you'll find plenty of info already about these units.  Downside at the moment:  all the associated growing pains of a highly complex, advanced technologically, first-gen and first-run device.  After hearing only a couple comparisons, I wouldn't say either the V3 or 722 is an upgrade over the other (in terms of sonic characteristics, obviously the 722 has a broader feature set, i.e. HD recorder), but rather relatively minor differences in pre/ADC flavor.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 11:19:36 PM »
You'll love the 722.  It's everything I hoped it would be and more.  For instance, the other day I was waiting for a band to take the stage and managed to hit "record" just a second after the announcer began saying, "Please welcome...".  I hadn't even realized it, but I had the 722 set to pre-roll a couple seconds, so basically it dumped the previous 2 seconds of audio to disk, and it was as if I hit the record button on time!  :)  I look forward to it saving my ass frequently.   ;D

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 01:16:58 AM »
You'll love the 722. It's everything I hoped it would be and more. For instance, the other day I was waiting for a band to take the stage and managed to hit "record" just a second after the announcer began saying, "Please welcome...". I hadn't even realized it, but I had the 722 set to pre-roll a couple seconds, so basically it dumped the previous 2 seconds of audio to disk, and it was as if I hit the record button on time! :) I look forward to it saving my ass frequently. ;D

- Jason

see, now that is pretty tight :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 03:05:52 AM »
Other than the early adopter issues Brian mentioned there is no downside to the 722.  There are some nitpicking issues: menu operation, metering, meter LEDs too bright on lowest setting, XLR spacing won't permit two RA-XLRs.  Just stupid little shit that I mention only because if those are the kinds of things people complain about, it's a damn solid piece of gear.  It's crotchable and if that is an important attribute for you, there is nothing else that can beat the 722 for size, sound, and price at 24/96 right now.

With regards to the MK4/41>722, you are going to get a warm tape.  I often prefer neumanns over schoeps but I always like the 41s because of what they can do in a bad room.  So I'm not bashing when I say that to me, the few schoeps->722 I've heard are heavy sounding.  The 722 itself seems warm compared to the V3 and I think it's a good mate for the neumann mics.  However, I was ready to unload my V3 until this evening when I got a chance to hear the KM143->V3 24/48 source compared to my KM140->722 24/96 of the Charlottesville mule.  I like my recording but I think the V3 source is better.  I've got enough time with the 40s/43s and V3 that I can account for the different capsules and room position.  There is something about the V3 that I like a bit better.  So for me, I am back to thinking that I'll run the V3 ahead of the 722 for taping situations like festivals where I have plenty of room for gear and no hassles with carrying SLA batteries for the V3.  For stealth or any situation where I want to be low profile, the 722 all by itself will still make a recording that competes with anything else.  But that's with the neumanns.  I think that if I were running schoeps, I'd favor a V3.

If you get the 722 only, I think you'll be happy.  If you do get a V3 and then buy a recorder, you can't get anything else that is small and can double as a 24/96 stealth deck when needed as the 722. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 07:57:46 AM »
I think alot of it has to do with the mics you pair with it....I have run my MG 200s into a MP2->Mod SBM1 rig and a V3 rig, and while I preferred the MP2->Mod SBM1 rig as it had a warmer sound (which I love) the details I got with the V3 over the former rig was incredible.  The 722 appears to be a nice combination of the 2, and mates with the MGs really well.  Definitley not saying that if you threw a V2 or the like in front of it that there would not be an audible impact, because I am guessing there would, I am thinking for me though, the impact wont be significant enough to conviince me to carry an extra box and SLA (similar to why I never carried the mod sbm1 with the V3_...just my two cents

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 01:03:08 PM »
Is this the same Ned Struzziero who went to Cape Elizabeth?
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 06:52:00 PM »
By the way, as far as early adopter stuff goes, 1.37 seems rock solid after two different sets at a jazz show this past week. Somehow, it even resolved my transfer issues. I say this with the caveat that it's "for our purposes" - meaning some people still have trouble with take naming and that kind of thing, but it's not something that I'll ever use.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 03:00:23 PM »
1.37 seems rock solid?

Is this a file size? 
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 03:01:08 PM »
no.....it's the latest firmware update.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com