Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 with sonicase?  (Read 11317 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
722 with sonicase?
« on: June 16, 2005, 06:22:33 PM »
who runs the 722 in a sonicase?  can it breathe in there?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: 722 with sonicase?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 07:37:51 PM »
MicD, Kevin Durant does...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 10:19:28 PM »
Based on my current tribulations, I'd say leave the cover open so that convection works in your favor and you'll be fine.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 10:57:33 PM »
then i might run the rackgear this weekend so it can breathe when closed...hmmm

(if i ran the sonicase, i'd want to have it closed)

Offline tmfraley2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • FOB is where I want to be....
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 11:08:13 PM »
i run in the portabrace with no issues, and as far as i know kevin has ahd no issues with running the 722 in the soniccase
"Even jesus couldn't pull a good tape from the lawn" - Nick Gregory 6/28/05

KM140>V2>722

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 11:13:00 PM »
well, keep in mind that my 722 has a different drive than the stock units so mine may be less tolerant of heat than the drive spec'd by SD.  Closing the cover might not be bad in your case.

Offline scb

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 07:46:19 AM »
i've got an 80 gig hitachi in mine..

i think the rakgear might be a better option for me anyway because the mytek doesn't fit right in the sonicase but fits right in the back of the rakgear. 

thanks

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 08:48:27 AM »
Joe and I have run it with no problems in a Sonicase with the clear window closed.  I've got a mini-cell foam support built to preven it from rocking one way or the other from the battery in the back.   

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 10:47:11 AM »
Joe and I have run it with no problems in a Sonicase with the clear window closed.  I've got a mini-cell foam support built to preven it from rocking one way or the other from the battery in the back.   

is there any ventilation with the window closed?  How hot did the 722 get?

In the portabrace my 722 gets pretty damn warm.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 10:48:28 AM »
722 has gotten really warm in the portabrace I got with it, but I have not had a problem yet....

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 12:47:03 PM »
Is anyone _wearing_ one of these?  Any ideas on how to rig one under a suit jacket without getting third degree burns?

Jeff (fooling around with a 722 and dyin' to try it live)

Ray76

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 12:49:52 PM »
Is anyone _wearing_ one of these?  Any ideas on how to rig one under a suit jacket without getting third degree burns?

Jeff (fooling around with a 722 and dyin' to try it live)

can yall post pics of your bags with the 722 and model number of bag, etc..i need a bag to fit the 722, a v2 and mgs in.

ray

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 01:02:38 PM »
I know of a few folks that have stealthed it and the feedback I have heard is hugged against your body, it gets hot...but I will let one of those with experience chime in

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 01:44:41 PM »
Last night I ran my 722 for the 1st time and dam, it gets hot! And I was running it in the open. Though it has been close to 100 degrees here in Austin  :P I think I might bring some ice packs if I stealth and for ACL.
Retired Taper

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 01:53:25 PM »
The one time I stealthed with it I had it in a small eastpack waist bag.  I was running with the zipper closed because of the lights.

The unit was on my belly and really getting hot.  It was not comfortable, but else what can you do in that situation?

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2005, 02:46:40 PM »
I did it wrapped in a nylon jacket on my lap once and it was too hot to even touch (i.e. would have caused a burn if I held on for more than half a second). I was able to move it away from my body by picking it up from the corners and held it above my knees (seated show) with the jacket barely draped over it until it was cool enough to touch for more than a few seconds again.

In a bag, I wouldn't worry as much. Perhaps a layer of neoprene between you and the unit would do the trick. The next time I stealthed, I put it in a briefcase at my feet and used the old "set it and forget it" method with the limiter.

If anyone has large CF cards, you could record to CF only when stealthing and presumably avoid the heat issue. I don't know of anyone who's tried it, though.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005, 03:02:39 PM »
how about using a small brushless fan with outboard power to circulate some air in the bags like soniccase/portbrace?

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 03:05:31 PM »

is there any ventilation with the window closed?  How hot did the 722 get?

In the portabrace my 722 gets pretty damn warm.

there is a little ventilation.  I don't zip it.  I just fold it over. 

Yes it gets hot, but its still nothing like the ad1000...

how about using a small brushless fan with outboard power to circulate some air in the bags like soniccase/portbrace?

marc

still think that's over the top.  The heat dissipates rather quickly, so powering down at set break would be enough for me

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005, 03:07:47 PM »
I wonder how much heat you would loose running at normal 16/44? It might be more bearable when stealthing. Though 24bit is one of the reasons I got the unit.
Retired Taper

Offline trajhip2000

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 03:20:43 PM »
I run my 744T (with an 80 GB Hitachi) in a Sonicase with a V3 and haven't had any problems. It gets a little warm but not excessively so. Usually I have case sitting on its side with the opening facing horizontal, and the plastic flaps open.

Steve

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2005, 05:14:35 PM »
Joe and I have run it with no problems in a Sonicase with the clear window closed. I've got a mini-cell foam support built to preven it from rocking one way or the other from the battery in the back.

This is exactly how I run mine. Boz made me one of those mini-cell support thingys and it works like a charm. The battery rest in the inner part of the foam which keeps it from moving around. No stress on the battery what so ever. There's plenty of extra space on both sides for ventilation (there are flaps on the sides of the sonicase that can be opened if you feel you need extra ventilation). After my levels are set, the bag is closed. This is the only way i've ran it and heat has never been an issue.

Kevin

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2005, 07:11:07 PM »
I run ours mainly in a large lowe pro stealth reporter and it works fine. it gets pretty warm in there, but i havn't had any problems.

2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Ray76

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2005, 09:23:14 PM »
alright, ima ask this again...

what case would comfortably fit a v2 or m148, mgs, and the 722 and cabling??
and perhaps a jb3 and cabling in case i want to get two sources for a matrix.,..???

Ray

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 12:30:20 AM »
alright, ima ask this again...

what case would comfortably fit a v2 or m148, mgs, and the 722 and cabling??
and perhaps a jb3 and cabling in case i want to get two sources for a matrix.,..???

Ray

I'm on the waiting list for a 722 and I run a m148.  Over the weekend I was looking around on the internet for exactly that, and here's what I think.  The Portabrace CS7 (designed for the 722) plus the RM-Multi add on. 

Here's the CS7

www.sounddevices.com/download/guides/cs7.pdf

Here's the RM-Multi

http://www.portabrace.com/product_detail_B.php?id=1736

The RM-Multi is 8.5"L x 3"W x 5.5"H which seems big enough for the m148 although I haven't had time to measure yet.  There should be enough room in there for something like a wooden Schoeps box as well.  Plus the RM-Multi has a small pocket on the front where you could store some more small stuff.  The only thing I'm not sure of, is whether or not there are any cable exit holes in the RM, or whether you would just have to run them out of the top and into the side of the CS7.

mitch

Oade preamp museum curator

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2005, 02:09:14 PM »
Just curious, so don't flame me, but have you guys ever considered getting a smaller, less expensive, stealth rig?  I throw this out there, because your equipment, factoring in the 722 value, would be a lot to lose if you got caught my security.  If I got caught, I would be out a few hundred dollars.  If you got caught, you would be out thousands.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2005, 02:27:23 PM »
Just curious, so don't flame me, but have you guys ever considered getting a smaller, less expensive, stealth rig? I throw this out there, because your equipment, factoring in the 722 value, would be a lot to lose if you got caught my security. If I got caught, I would be out a few hundred dollars. If you got caught, you would be out thousands.

Just my 2 cents.

sound quality is an issue...when I stealthed before I used 853s->MP2->Mod SBM1->D100....reasonable sound quality, but still ~$2k in equipment

and if I get caught they have no right to take my equipment....so they absolutely would not get it....

now if the flash tracker turns out to be worth a damn I will be getting a lower profile 24 bit stealth rig (or the R1)

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2005, 02:31:09 PM »
I agree there.  The M Audio unit would eliminate a couple of pieces (the Deneckes) from my rig.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2005, 02:32:14 PM »
I agree there. The M Audio unit would eliminate a couple of pieces (the Deneckes) from my rig.

oh I would still throw a preamp in there...I have strong doubts that the maudio preamp built into that little box is anywhere near on par of any of the portables (sax, mp2, psp2, etc)

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2005, 02:39:45 PM »
I agree there. The M Audio unit would eliminate a couple of pieces (the Deneckes) from my rig.

oh I would still throw a preamp in there...I have strong doubts that the maudio preamp built into that little box is anywhere near on par of any of the portables (sax, mp2, psp2, etc)

Thanks!  I always wanted an MP2, but it had no AD.  The M-Audio would at least have an on-board AD. 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2005, 02:43:47 PM »
The M-Audio would at least have an on-board AD.

very true...and from what I have heard, the R1 does a great job at 24 bit A/D, and is a tiny box, hopefully the MAudio can do the same thing

Offline Tim

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 02:51:39 PM »
Just curious, so don't flame me, but have you guys ever considered getting a smaller, less expensive, stealth rig? I throw this out there, because your equipment, factoring in the 722 value, would be a lot to lose if you got caught my security. If I got caught, I would be out a few hundred dollars. If you got caught, you would be out thousands.

Just my 2 cents.

out what? they can't confiscate your gear, they have no legal right to do so
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2005, 02:58:22 PM »

Just my 2 cents.

There have been cases of it.  Even if they can't or have legal right, some security companies have.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2005, 02:59:48 PM »

Just my 2 cents.

There have been cases of it. Even if they can't or have legal right, some security companies have.

I know it is easier to say I wouldnt give it up, but I can tell you, that it would take a beating for me to give up my gear

Offline Tim

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2005, 03:01:30 PM »

Just my 2 cents.

There have been cases of it. Even if they can't or have legal right, some security companies have.

I've never seen a documented story of someone having their gear permanetly coniscated by security. If they do take it call the cops and a lawyer and get the gear back or a check for the cost of replacement
the only way they can get the equipment is if you give it to them. tell them to call the cops and don't give them anything
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2005, 03:04:24 PM »
Just curious, so don't flame me, but have you guys ever considered getting a smaller, less expensive, stealth rig?  I throw this out there, because your equipment, factoring in the 722 value, would be a lot to lose if you got caught my security.  If I got caught, I would be out a few hundred dollars.  If you got caught, you would be out thousands.

Just my 2 cents.

Most of us use the 722 for both open and stealth taping... Infact, Does anyone just use the 722 only for stealthing?

Also, security only has the right to take the tape. They have right to make you leave though :)
Retired Taper

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2005, 03:05:28 PM »

Just my 2 cents.

I've never seen a documented story of someone having their gear permanetly coniscated by security. If they do take it call the cops and a lawyer and get the gear back or a check for the cost of replacement
the only way they can get the equipment is if you give it to them. tell them to call the cops and don't give them anything

PM gewang.  He has a recent story.

I too would never give my stuff up without a fight. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 03:07:37 PM by spyder9 »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2005, 03:09:04 PM »

Just my 2 cents.

Most of us use the 722 for both open and stealth taping... Infact, Does anyone just use the 722 only for stealthing?

Also, security only has the right to take the tape. They have right to make you leave though :)

If so, then I guess you would have to hand over the CF card or microdrive?  Correct?  Or nothing at all, and ask for the police?

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2005, 03:11:10 PM »

Just my 2 cents.

If so, then I guess you would have to hand over the CF card or microdrive?  Correct?  Or nothing at all, and ask for the police?

I've got an old 16MB card just incase that I could give them... Though I'm waiting to winter to stealth... To dam hot in summer here in TX :)
Retired Taper

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2005, 03:12:13 PM »
Nice back up plan.   ;)   :)

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2005, 04:55:46 PM »

I've got an old 16MB card just incase that I could give them... Though I'm waiting to winter to stealth... To dam hot in summer here in TX :)

Exactly.  They'd never know that the 722 has an internal hard drive.  Tell them it's a big mp3 recorder and it uses CF cards.
Oade preamp museum curator

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 64 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com