Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 settings...  (Read 9669 times)

Offline Zee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Knuckle!
Re: 722 settings...
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2005, 11:41:08 AM »
Nice Big ray +T for the toy and welcome aboard! Personally I don’t like running the gain linked anymore. You should try it out though and see for your self.

For the Gain range I use the normal setting.
File size 2gb
Folder options i use scene folder
For analog patchers I set Output 1 to inputs 1/2 (marc made me some mini XLR > rca)
Meter Ballistics I like Peak+VU play with this and find what you like

I’ve been running firmware 1.37 with no problems. Last week for panic I tested the hard drive out by not formatting before every show. In fact I still have 4 panic shows and 1 tea leaf green all 24/96 on the hard drive. It ran great with no errors.
4022>v2>722
Please dither and resample as you see fit!

Ray76

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 12:02:53 PM »
Nice Big ray +T for the toy and welcome aboard! Personally I don’t like running the gain linked anymore. You should try it out though and see for your self.

For the Gain range I use the normal setting.
File size 2gb
Folder options i use scene folder
For analog patchers I set Output 1 to inputs 1/2 (marc made me some mini XLR > rca)
Meter Ballistics I like Peak+VU play with this and find what you like

I’ve been running firmware 1.37 with no problems. Last week for panic I tested the hard drive out by not formatting before every show. In fact I still have 4 panic shows and 1 tea leaf green all 24/96 on the hard drive. It ran great with no errors.

thanks bud, I just put 1.42 on there, so hopefully itll be alright.
+T ray

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 01:29:16 PM »
Here's a few things that I'd suggest...

- Rec: Pre-Roll Time - Use it!  Anything in the 2-4 second range will be super helpful.  This is basically a constantly running record buffer that will start recording X seconds *before* you press the record button.  When you've got your gear all set up and are waiting for the band to come on stage, and get distracted by a cutie asking if she can get a copy of your tape, you've still got a few seconds to reach down and start recording without missing a thing.  Easily one of the coolest features of the 7 series.

- Input: Routing - default would be 1 > A / 2 > B for stereo recording.  That will put the Left channel on the top meter, Right on the bottom.  Not so much a suggestion since it's what we would all do, but this was a little confusing to me at first.

- Mic Input 1/2: Low Cut & Low Cut Freq - Note that these ONLY apply when running analog MIC input, not LINE.

- Mic Input 1/2: Gain Range - maybe ask others which setting they're using for particular mics.  I ran my 722 at home next to decks I'm more familiar with, being fed with a line-out from a CD player, just to get a feeling for what things would look like in the field.  And using a live recording of yours is a good way to get a feel for things beforehand.

Input 1,2: Linking, MS: If you run mainly stereo (other than mid-side), the "Linked 1/2" setting is ideal.  Pot #1 becomes level control for the channel pair, and Pot #2 is a left/right balance control.  This is perfect for when you just want to bring the overall levels up or down during a show but trust your L/R setup based on a static mic and room.

Line Input 1,2: Gain Control & Line Input 1/2: Gain - Ignore these.  The first will be at "Use front panel knobs" and then the second has no meaning based on that.  It gives you an option to set the gains from the menu rather than the front pots which is interesting but confusing and, for me, just silly.

Meter: Ballistics - this is another area that is best figured out running a CD player line-in.  Personally I find Peak-hold + VU ideal.  Run another deck you're more familiar with to compare (ie: digital patch between the 722 and a D8 or something so you can compare exactly how they express the same information).

Meter: Peak Threshold - This one's a little confusing.  Basically you can adjust the level where the far right set of lights on the meter will come on.  By default it's 0dBFS but you can set it to -1, -2, -3, etc.  Personally I would find either 0 or -1 to be logical.

Meter: Stealth Mode - Poorly named feature... basically when it's on, the LEDs all turn on or off with the backlight.  When off, the backlight functions independently and the meters are always running.  Note that you can DIM the LEDs in what appear to be around 30 brightness steps by holding down the LCD backlight button and turning the multifunction dial.  I believe the default is around 10 steps up from the dimmest.

HP: Encoder Switch Function - The "Select Favorite Mode" is a neat way to monitor something other than just the L/R source while recording.  Depending on your preference, you can quickly change to a confidence monitoring (tracks vs. inputs), or individual inputs or tracks "Solo" style.  Probably great when troubleshooting something like a M-S setup.

Check that your firmware version is at least 1.37 (1.42 is current but minimally different for us unless you run M-S).  Other than that, start toying!  This sucker's a blast.

- Jason

Something good for the archives...722 starter settings.....
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 01:34:51 PM »
I'm preferring the 2G splits because they work without issue.  I've had some issues with 4G splits during extended testing - although I'm not running the very latest rev of firmware.

Be sure to set your preroll buffer to the highest setting.

What were the issues 4gb split, other than not being able to open in programs other than CD Wave?  Personally, I like the 4gb split b/c I don't have to merge anything before tracking in CD Wave.  I import directly into CD Wave and move on, bypassing the merge step as much as possible (with the exception being the 2+ hour set)

I ran continuous 24/96 recording tests for about 17 days, each test being a freshly formatted drive set to record until the disk was very full (between 29 and 37 hours depending on the test) and then start over.   During the test I would stop and restart recording, cycle power and restart recording,  navigate the HD filesystem and try to play files, etc.  All tests were run with external power so that a battery related shutdown could not be blamed for a FS error (although that is another test set entirely).

It had been widely reported that there was a bug that caused the 722 to lock up when attempting to play 4G files.  What I found was that I could not get though an entire 37 hour session (which was really like 42 hours considering the various interuptions) without the 722 locking up when I recorded using 4G file splits.  The system would generally do fine, regularly lock-up when I tried to play a 4G file (not always), but it would occasionally lock up during recording.  In these cases IIRC the counter was incrementing but there were interrupted files and the system would often require removal of all power to recover.  In some cases, when I hit <stop> and then tried to restart the sessoin, the subsequent <rec> would lock up the 722.  I had only one trial that did not exhibit any failure over 37 hours using 4G splits.  Once a particular 4G trial had any sort of failure, subsequent recordings were more likely to fail and the system seemed mildly unstable.  The "slow" message being reported regulary during the failures.

When I ran the same tests using 2G splits, I never had a single problem - completely flawless performance.  So now I only run 2G splits, even though it isn't what is best for me.

I reviewed the posts here to see if others were having the same problem but most people seemed to be starting each session with freshly formatted media.  In my tests, I had one case were a freshly formatted drive had an error early enough to have been during a long show, but most of the failures began to appear about the 8h mark and some not until nearing 30h mark.   So I can image that someone running a reformatted drive for each sessoin may never suffer a failure.

I originally suspected that it might be heat related but ruled that out by reproducing the failures at ambient room temperature, then running the heat test twice using 2G splits with no errors even thought the 722 got hot.   So it was not related to heat affecting the HD.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 01:47:41 PM »
I forgot about the 4gb playback error...  really, it was a playback error for anything over 2 gb.  Supposedly its fixed now, but that's yet to be determined.

One point to note is that Joe ran 1.37 with the 4gb split for all of bonnaroo and didn't have any errors that I'm aware of.  That's as extreme a condition as one could expect, and definitely not something that I will ever put it through.  For now, I'm still taking my chances with the larger split options and won't try to play anything back until after I'm done recording.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2005, 02:01:23 PM »
I did get one complete 37hour test with no failures using 4G splits so I can believe that others would have success and I'm sure that if I had run many more tests I might have seen more successful trials.  However any failure at all was enough for me to have zero trust.  When using the 2G splits there seems to be no problems so that is where I'll stay for now.  I'd rather reassemble than lose another recording where I'm the only taper that is FOB.

I know that they claim to have fixed the 4G playback problem in the new revision.  However SD is very tight lipped about what the real issues are and they have been absolutely worthless when I've asked for detail.  So I have no way of making an assessment of the playback fix to know if it may have potentially fixed the recording errors I've seen.

I'm going to let the rest of you guys shake out the new version and when I update I'm going to rerun all those tests on my machine before I get ballsy enough to risk another show to the 4G split.  I got agressive with the early adopter mindset and my ass still has teeth marks.

Offline wboswell

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2005, 02:03:40 PM »
I've always liked living on the edge

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005, 02:11:28 PM »

Me too, but sometimes I bitch about the cost.

Ray76

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2005, 02:16:41 PM »
i cant think of one instance in my life where i havent been on the edge of falling into misfortune.

i dont think ive ever truly been safe.

Offline Zee

• Taperssection Member
  • Knuckle!
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2005, 02:17:56 PM »

Me too, but sometimes I bitch about the cost.

LOL This sounds like something that would come out of my mouth.
4022>v2>722
Please dither and resample as you see fit!

Offline wboswell

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2005, 02:25:46 PM »
Sounds like some wild and crazy guys...

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2005, 02:32:45 PM »

HA!

Ray76

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2005, 02:48:22 PM »
Sounds like some wild and crazy guys...

or in my case, just plain stupid.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2005, 05:15:25 PM »
Got mine today, was wanting to see how yall have set yours up for taping. 2g auto split, but what else??Thanks yall.

Ray

Welcome to the team: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=41039.0

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2005, 07:14:14 PM »
+T ray ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com