Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 vs 744t  (Read 5596 times)

Offline kidtexas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
722 vs 744t
« on: October 10, 2005, 02:24:27 PM »
I'm about to order a SD 722 for recording music and audio for video.  I know you guys mostly record live music and have little use for the timecode feature.  To be honest, I would probably find little use for it as well since obtainable video cameras don't have timecode i/o.  But we all love more tracks.

Anyway, I was wondering how many of you got a 722 and later wished you had gotten a 744 (or vice versa).  While I *techinically* afford a 744, saving $1600 is obviously nice.  Just looking for some experiences.

Thanks.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: 722 vs 744t
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 02:26:12 PM »
744 would be nice in the rare cases where I can get a SBD feed as well, but that is few and far between. 

I know that Jim Pollack uses his extra 2 channels to feed into his 744 another source from the same show amd mix it after the fact, but I barely have time enough to get it converted as it is, much less to mix every show.

Bottom line for my uses, as taping most of the time 2 channel AUD...the 722 is mroe than sufficient

Offline kidtexas

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 03:22:20 PM »
That's kind of what I am thinking.  But I have this nagging feeling in the back of my head that if I buy the 722, it will be like buying a Mustang without getting the V8 - isn't that the whole point of getting Mustang?

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 03:23:46 PM »
That's kind of what I am thinking.  But I have this nagging feeling in the back of my head that if I buy the 722, it will be like buying a Mustang without getting the V8 - isn't that the whole point of getting Mustang?

don't buy anything without a specific need...you'll have no problem selling the 722 at little or no loss should you decide that you need the 744 later.  in all the time that you've taped previously, how many times have you needed to record 4 channels or even wanted to?  if it's the majority of times, get yourself the 744.

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 03:51:24 PM »
The 744 is great and all, but unless you really care to spend more time editing, it's most likely over kill.  I would need to be paid in order to devote more time at the computer doing this "hobby"...

Offline kidtexas

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 03:56:42 PM »
I hate this "hobby" :p

Maybe I should take up something cheap like knitting.

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 04:57:28 PM »
if you need the recorder for film business , don't even think about 722 , its not what you need ,
about 744 , you need at least mixer with individual channels out for normal work

i did a couple of shows with mini dv , hdv cameras , with time of the day tc  free run , you sync every 3-4 hours , so the tc is must .
the new hdv like cannon already have tc in/out.
the 744 is not 1600 $ jump - its about 2400 with all necessary cabling for every setup work ( of course if you do it your self its only cost of the parts).

for tapping only the 722 is good enough., me  i ,need more since usually running the house mix as well and mix the stuff later ,
of course if you do jams for friends , 4 channels are excellent if you have a few other mikes and  additional preamp

if you on the budget , the tascam might be better idea then 722 if you use external mixer any way ( i don't sure if it can jam tc  or only run external one)
4 gb cards might be enough for for very heavy production day for 2 tracks
oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 05:01:37 PM »

Quoted for Truth.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 07:05:33 PM »

my wife does this (dont laugh....under 30 asian woman..enjoys it) and she tells me all the time how much cheaper her hobbies are :P

Offline kidtexas

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 07:33:27 PM »
Well, I decided to order the 722. 

if you need the recorder for film business , don't even think about 722 , its not what you need ,
about 744 , you need at least mixer with individual channels out for normal work

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  Then you're talking about adding on a 422, cables, etc; a lot more money than $1600. I'm not in the film business - video stuff is strictly a hobby.  Shit, I'm not in the sound business either.  I'm in the business of wasting my hard earned cash on equipment I don't really need :p

If I were to seriously take part in a project that needed a setup like that, I'd sell the 722 and upgrade and buy the rest then.  Until then, I don't need it, so why spend the money on it.

my wife does this (dont laugh....under 30 asian woman..enjoys it) and she tells me all the time how much cheaper her hobbies are :P

My girlfriend complains about my hobbies too.  Of course, my clothing budget for the year is about 1 week of hers...

Offline oleg

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a proud Jew
    • you can find me here
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 07:44:37 PM »
minidisc and some cheap stereo mike - the rest directly on the Viper
mustang - what are you ,a pussy?:-)
oleg kaizerman(gebe)hollyland
kaizeroaudio-rentals -sound for film/tv sales

schoepses, gefells, sankens, sennheisers....all kind of shit ....ends with deva 16  fusion ,zfr,788, 744, hhb
http://groups.google.com/group/sellbuyexchange-film-videoaudiogear

Offline kidtexas

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 07:57:32 PM »
minidisc and some cheap stereo mike - the rest directly on the Viper
mustang - what are you ,a pussy?:-)

Hahaha.  No mustang for me - just an analogy.  Fortunately they don't sell Viper's with v6's, so I couldn't use that, now could I?

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 01:40:26 AM »
My girlfriend complains about my hobbies too.  Of course, my clothing budget for the year is about 1 week of hers...

i watched my ex spend $400 on "tops" (thats female speak for tshirts) in urban outfitters once and then she told me i spent too much money on electronics.  bitch.

vipers, mustangs, bah...i prefer european sports cars.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 10:40:27 AM »
in all the time that you've taped previously, how many times have you needed to record 4 channels or even wanted to?

Almost every show for the last 4 years. ;-)

Just did a benefit show on Sunday where the video camera didn't have TC in or out. However, I still wanted to make sure I had the write TC setting on the DEVA because once he pulls in the audio, having the proper timecode on the audio will save him hours of extra work. As Oleg stated, if you're doing video, you really need timecode. Personally I'm not impressed with the way the 744T handled 4 inputs, because you still need an external mixer (although the 422 is a nice mixer to go with the 744T, the price at that point should make you look more at other non-linear recorders).

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 02:55:04 PM »

Maybe she can knit you on of those fancy stand bags.  ;) Then the $$ will be going towards both hobbies.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com