Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Archos Gmini 400 / 402 ..... Newbie Q's  (Read 4118 times)

Offline pitchshifter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Archos Gmini 400 / 402 ..... Newbie Q's
« on: March 12, 2006, 08:29:57 PM »
Hi,
my mic questions got answered, so I want to get sure what recorder to use together with the OKM IIr mics.

I think the quality/price-level for the Archos Gmini 400/402 recorder is quite ok (I'm starting taping). MT or R1 costs twice as much (in Europe), which is too much for me.

What I want to do: I need a set for stealth recording, will stay mostly direct in front of one stack to avoid loud crowdnoise. The recorder must support .wav recording as I don't like the fact, that 'my' MD-recorder produces mp3 (320 kb/s) and that a MD would need a re-recording onto the harddisc. The recorder should be able to store jpeg's from my digital camera when I'm on a journey (an USB2.0-In & Out would be good). Video function's aren't needed.

Questions:
1) How do the Gmini and the OKM perform together (is a preamp necessary, I'll use the A3 Adapter)?
2) What is the differnece between Gmini 400 & 402 (I've read video support, but that is out of my interest)?
3) Do I need to buy any accessories for the Gmini (maybe a better Stereo analog Line-In adapter)?
4) Is there any comparable/better product which can record in .wav format, is that handy and at the same price (not M-Audio)?
5) Is the Gmini shock proof, I mean even when standing at a good place you get pushed - does that result in a drop out?
6) How long is the battery life when recording (about 4 hours I've read, but what if I want to record several shows at a 3-days festival)?

Thanks for all hints, sorry if I' re-asking this or that, but I did not found all infos.
cheers
OLLi
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 08:33:35 PM by pitchshifter »

Offline corsair

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Archos Gmini 400 / 402 ..... Newbie Q's
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 09:25:43 PM »
Hi!

From ur post, I'm just gathering you want to go OKM IIR > A3 > Archos Gmini 400/402

Well, just for the record, there is Hi-MD now, so you can now record pcm wav at 16/44.1 w/o problem
in that format. Thought the MZ-M100 looks kinda peach. As for storing jpegs from camera, ya, the gmini
would be good.

Now to answer ur questions:
1. The Gmini and OKMs shld work fine. However, do note that when you change the Gmini's recording
level, its only digital attenuation and not gain. Hence, unless ur music is real loud, your levels are going to
be too low, requiring much post production normalization and volume boost. Hence, if U buy the Gmini,
do consider getting a preamp as well, like I did. The A3 is not a preamp, its more like a battery box
to power ur mics, with no gain adjustment.

2. 400 has a CF card reader to allow you to transfer files. 402 is instead a USB host instead of a CF
card reader. That's the only difference.

3. If you're doing taping, consider getting a new adaptor for the line-in. The stock is just too clunky
and falls off easily if moved. Get this from SoundProfessionals: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-ARCHOS-GMINI-CABLE

4. Edirol R-1? Iriver iHP120?

5. Never experienced it.. Of course, pls dun shake it vigorously.

6. I got around 5 hrs, some guys got it at 8. If U want to do festival..consider constructing
a battery module.

Good Luck!
Audio-Technica ES943/C's -> Home-made 3-wire battery box -> Tascam DR-07

Offline anechoic

• Taperssection Regular
  • composer, writer, sound designer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 06:07:18 AM »
I bought the SP-SPSB-5 with lo-freq roll-off and Archos cable options for my Archos 402 and have been very happy...
I'm using the Reactive Sounds Auris stereo mic
http://reactivesounds.com/am1.php
and they work very nicely together...
good luck!
'In the new world the characteristic unit will be
small, highly mobile, independent and intelligent.'
                                - Robert Fripp

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 11:24:47 AM »
I bought the SP-SPSB-5 with lo-freq roll-off and Archos cable options for my Archos 402 and have been very happy...
I'm using the Reactive Sounds Auris stereo mic
http://reactivesounds.com/am1.php
and they work very nicely together...
good luck!

I'm assuming you've linked to the wrong mic as this is dual mono not stereo is what you mean't? http://reactivesounds.com/am2.php

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 11:37:29 AM »
I had a Gmini 402 and I had a 404, and I found that there is drop outs on that unit. Its a firmware bug that archos just does not seem to be able to fix. I would look at a used JB3 long befor I purchased a Archos anything. I looked at the A3 adaptor I dont really like the bass roll off at 300hz I feel that is way to high and will resalt in AM radio type recordings. I would look at SP products and take a look at my products as well we make a great preamp for under $150 and so Does Sound professionals. Its hard when you first start out to find good gear at a great price I would look around here at the yard sale for a recorder but if you do not find a used JB3 look at ebay expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $150 for a used JB3 you will be much more happy with that unit and no stupid adaptors needed.

Hi,
my mic questions got answered, so I want to get sure what recorder to use together with the OKM IIr mics.

I think the quality/price-level for the Archos Gmini 400/402 recorder is quite ok (I'm starting taping). MT or R1 costs twice as much (in Europe), which is too much for me.

What I want to do: I need a set for stealth recording, will stay mostly direct in front of one stack to avoid loud crowdnoise. The recorder must support .wav recording as I don't like the fact, that 'my' MD-recorder produces mp3 (320 kb/s) and that a MD would need a re-recording onto the harddisc. The recorder should be able to store jpeg's from my digital camera when I'm on a journey (an USB2.0-In & Out would be good). Video function's aren't needed.

Questions:
1) How do the Gmini and the OKM perform together (is a preamp necessary, I'll use the A3 Adapter)?
2) What is the differnece between Gmini 400 & 402 (I've read video support, but that is out of my interest)?
3) Do I need to buy any accessories for the Gmini (maybe a better Stereo analog Line-In adapter)?
4) Is there any comparable/better product which can record in .wav format, is that handy and at the same price (not M-Audio)?
5) Is the Gmini shock proof, I mean even when standing at a good place you get pushed - does that result in a drop out?
6) How long is the battery life when recording (about 4 hours I've read, but what if I want to record several shows at a 3-days festival)?

Thanks for all hints, sorry if I' re-asking this or that, but I did not found all infos.
cheers
OLLi

Offline Thom Joad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Team TNT!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 02:26:33 PM »
I don't know about the 402/404, but I have used a Gmini400 on and off for the past year or so. 

Zero dropouts, zero problems (other than it's 16 bit), breeze to use, super stealthy, killer metering, 44.1 or 48 kHz sampling, no HD noise that I'm aware of,  etc.

This isn't the best sample, since I was back by the board, and there's some talkers, but it's the only one I have on the archive right now:

My Morning Jacket
Buffalo, NY

DPA4022>AERCO MP2>Archos Gmini400

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=35037

Offline corsair

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 03:24:17 PM »
I din know there is a 404... news to me...

I've used 400 and I've experienced zero dropouts as well.....and I've heard
recordings done by other tapers with the same machine and they're flawless
as well. Prob U got a bogey unit..just ur luck then   ;D

I've used OKMs myself 4 yrs back, and there has absolutely been no need
to use the bass roll off at all, unless you're really in front of the stack.
Agreed that 300hz is indeed high.

I had a Gmini 402 and I had a 404, and I found that there is drop outs on that unit. Its a firmware bug that archos just does not seem to be able to fix. I would look at a used JB3 long befor I purchased a Archos anything. I looked at the A3 adaptor I dont really like the bass roll off at 300hz I feel that is way to high and will resalt in AM radio type recordings. I would look at SP products and take a look at my products as well we make a great preamp for under $150 and so Does Sound professionals. Its hard when you first start out to find good gear at a great price I would look around here at the yard sale for a recorder but if you do not find a used JB3 look at ebay expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $150 for a used JB3 you will be much more happy with that unit and no stupid adaptors needed.

Hi,

Questions:

cheers
OLLi
Audio-Technica ES943/C's -> Home-made 3-wire battery box -> Tascam DR-07

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 06:48:32 PM »
anyone know if it will run off an external battery or do the externals only charge the interals?
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24
Mics:Schoeps Mk4,   Beyerdynamic ck930(for sale)  ,Sound Professionals - SP-CMC-8 , Marcsounds binaurals  Pre amps: Beyerdynamic MV-1 ,  Naiant IPA  Recorders:  Edirol R-44, Edirol R-09HR, Roland  R-05

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline Eigenklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 07:27:37 AM »
gmini 402: The DC in charges the internal Battery.

Do you already own that device?

It was my first stealth recorder and i still hate it for putting some clearly audible Harddisk-noise on my recordings... the audio circuits seem not to be shielded good enough.

Setup was: OKM II studio > A3 > Line in adaptor > gmini 402.

It is also a very slow reacting thing with a loud Harddisk.  >:(

Offline pschneider

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 07:53:06 PM »
gmini 402: The DC in charges the internal Battery.

Do you already own that device?

It was my first stealth recorder and i still hate it for putting some clearly audible Harddisk-noise on my recordings... the audio circuits seem not to be shielded good enough.

Setup was: OKM II studio > A3 > Line in adaptor > gmini 402.

It is also a very slow reacting thing with a loud Harddisk.  >:(

In my experience:

- The external DC in charges the battery while keeping the device running
- I have never experienced HD noises in my recordings
- I don't consider it "slow reacting". My impression is that while it is saving its RAM buffer to the harddisk when recording, it does not react at all to key presses. This makes perfect sense to me.
- The harddisk isn't loud by my standards, e.g. compared to an iPod's (it's the same Toshiba line)

You mileage may vary. Maybe this particular unit had a faulty harddisk?

Offline Sami Ollas

• Taperssection Regular
    • My trading site
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 01:22:27 AM »
I've had nothing but bad experiences with the Archos Gmini 400, starting with the bulky A/V adapter piece which doesn't hold in place properly. Taping it down helps a bit but unless you make it real tight the adapter will still move a bit and as such you'll be hearing that in your recordings.

Couple that with the drive overheating and the controller chip getting burnt, after using it only 4 times in total I might add, and I was all ready start looking into other alternatives for a small and stealthy recorder. Sure the warranty was ok and I got it fixed but there was just no way that I'd use something so unreliable again.
Main Rig: Church Audio STC-11 Cardioid Mics > ST-9100 > Edirol R-09
Backup Rig: Microphone Madness MM-MCSM-4 > MM-EBM-1 > Sony MZ-NH600

Offline Eigenklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 12:54:49 PM »
Yes, it has had a faulty disk [crashed after a couple of months]. But it was replaced (very good service by the way); the new disk was also too loud for my taste.

pschneider:
So in my case the noise came because of the un-shielded A3. Good to know, because some weeks ago I got another A3, took out the PCB and put it into a shielded pager-style case with a 9V battery. I also replaced the SMD switches (high pass, -20dB) and added a power switch.

----------------
By "slow" I mean the overall feeling when handling the device. For example, when navigating in the file system, I almost fell asleep.

I am used to analog equipment that reacts after a rather short period of time when the mechanical parts are being accellerated.

The R-09 is quite close to "fast" for my taste (just to give an example of what I expect from digital equipment).

Borlag: I will never forget that damn adaptor! I will NEVER again buy stuff without standardized connectors! Even putting rubber band around adaptor + gmini did not prevent connection problems...  >:(

Offline pschneider

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 04:16:18 PM »
Borlag: I will never forget that damn adaptor! I will NEVER again buy stuff without standardized connectors! Even putting rubber band around adaptor + gmini did not prevent connection problems...  >:(

I agree - the adapter is indeed a weak point. I wouldn't recommend the Gmini 400 or the 402 (I've used both) as a stealth recorder with the included Y-adapter.

I should mention that I never used the Gmini as a real "stealth" device. I always put it on a table, press "record" and don't touch the thing until the concert is over.

The sound quality is fine. I've used it to produce a couple of classical recordings using the line-in. For a sample, check out

http://testing.anschluss.org/samples/BeethovenSeptetRehearsal1.mp3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com