Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wierd Microtrack Issue, need help  (Read 3221 times)

Offline jimi56

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Wierd Microtrack Issue, need help
« on: October 17, 2006, 09:12:58 AM »
I have an incident report with M-Audio, but the guy who answered my question apparently can't or didn't read my report cause the answer was just stupid...

Anway, used the MT for the first time over the weekend.  Both Friday and Saturday.  worked great!  Saturday morning i bumped all the friday night stuff to my laptop, tracked it etc etc.  Formatted the card, recorded saturday without incident.  All files are there, i listented to them off the MT a bit. 

Got home (i was on the road)  and plugged the MT into the laptop to bounce the saturday stuff over for tracking and flacing.  When i plugged the chord into the MT, it started booting, then went to "charging" mode.  So it was as if i plugged it into the AC adapter. (get the picture of a Plug not the USB symbol).  The MT does not show up as a drive under "My Computer".   

I re-tried this process several times, making sure i was doing it the exact way M-Audio says to.  Still no dice.
Tried to force connection to PC via the system menu option... no dice
Tested it on another PC to be sure it wasn't my laptop... no dice
Rebooted the laptop at least twice... no dice
Reset MT to factory default via system menu... no dice

I have not tried to reinstall the firmware cause that would mean i'd have to be able to connect to a PC to transfer via USB (or buying a card reader, which i shouldn't have to do to use my MT, it should work as intented for the price we pay for it)

Just for completness sake, i relayed this story to M-Audio.. making sure to be clear that i have tried the obvious solutions so i didn't get the ol' "did you plug it in right"... this was the response i got...

"Actually the computer and your Microtrack will do all the work as far as the Microtrack being recognized. You do not have to go to the "connect to PC" function or anything else. When using the Microtrack with the computer, the only functionality you will be able to access are the files on your Microtrack that you access in My Computer."

i posted to them again, waiting on that response, but i thought i'd ask here to people who might actually read what i wrote ;)

Thanks!
Logan
Rig: Samson C02s > UA5 > MT24/96

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Wierd Microtrack Issue, need help
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 10:15:40 AM »
i have had it give me the plug before too
i unplugged it and it worked
another time it didn't and i powered it on, then it worked
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline jimi56

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 10:19:03 AM »
Yeah the MT seems to work in all respects except for going to "host mode"... USB mode...  I think i've tried all combo's of powering/connecting cycles.  Always i get the plug mode, not host.  *shrug*

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 10:24:39 AM »
Yeah the MT seems to work in all respects except for going to "host mode"... USB mode...  I think i've tried all combo's of powering/connecting cycles.  Always i get the plug mode, not host.  *shrug*

Have you tried another USB cable? You could get this problem if you had a USB cable where the data lines were broken but the lines that supply power were ok. The MT would not see that it was connected to a computer and think it was connected to the standalone power supply.

J.T.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 10:51:33 AM »
Any chance the battery was completely drained?  When I first got my MT, the battery was completely dead and it wouldn't do -anything- other than just charge.  Maybe let it charge for a while and then try again on your PC, different PC, different cable, etc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 11:09:53 AM »
Try another computer too, just to see if the same thing happens. I seem to remember a similar problem posted, and it worked ok on other computers.

Have you tried a card reader? Not that that solves the issue, but it solves the problem.

Keep us posted...
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline jimi56

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 12:28:36 PM »
FIXED!!

Apparently the USB cable what came with the MT is bad already.  Works for power issues but not going to a PC.  It didn't really dawn on me to try a different cable since the cable had been working fine to supply power to the MT all weekend and when i plugged it into the laptop and AC adapter.  meh, oh well, yea for old JB3 cable!

thanks for the help all.

oh.. side note.. yes i tried a different PC.  And i was avoiding the card reader because i didn't want to spend more $$ on the MT

Offline bewildered

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 01:02:57 PM »
never known a usb to go bad.

card readers are useful for deadlines given unpredictable equipment failures.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 01:28:43 PM »
Any chance the battery was completely drained?  When I first got my MT, the battery was completely dead and it wouldn't do -anything- other than just charge.  Maybe let it charge for a while and then try again on your PC, different PC, different cable, etc.
come to think of it--i am pretty sure thats the times i had probs as well
i think thats it
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Phil

• Taperssection Member
  • Control for smilers can't be bought
    • BitTorrentMusic.com
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 10:25:54 PM »
I just started having this problem as well. Is everyone with the problem running the newest firmware? that's when my problem seemed to start.  I must also agree that my battery could have been drained enough but, unplugging, cursing, plugging back in a few times seemed to fix it though and I don't remember having this problem with low batteries on the old firmware.   

Just wondering if this could be a new firmware bug.
AKG 481 > V3 > MT2496 or VXpocket 440 > Laptop

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 07:05:03 AM »
I just started having this problem as well. Is everyone with the problem running the newest firmware? that's when my problem seemed to start.  I must also agree that my battery could have been drained enough but, unplugging, cursing, plugging back in a few times seemed to fix it though and I don't remember having this problem with low batteries on the old firmware.   

I didn't seem to read anyone FIRST turning the MT deck on BEFORE plugging USB connection up.  For some reason I think this was mentioned in the manual somewhere?
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Phil

• Taperssection Member
  • Control for smilers can't be bought
    • BitTorrentMusic.com
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 09:51:10 AM »

I didn't seem to read anyone FIRST turning the MT deck on BEFORE plugging USB connection up.  For some reason I think this was mentioned in the manual somewhere?

Yes, I've tried both ways including going into "System" > "Connect to PC", which reboots it into usb mode.  And it my case it rebooted into charging mode 2 times and on the 3rd the usb symbol came up and it worked.  Possibly low battery, but it's just odd everyone is starting to have this problem all of the sudden.

oh yeah, I was just trying to copy a few small files to it so I was in a usb 1 port vs usb 2.0, not sure if that has anything to do with the problem or not.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 09:56:58 AM by Phil »
AKG 481 > V3 > MT2496 or VXpocket 440 > Laptop

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 11:28:39 AM »

Possibly low battery, but it's just odd everyone is starting to have this problem all of the sudden.

I don't think three people constitutes 'everyone' and for what it's worth, I've not seen this problem myself on the latest firmware, which is not to say that it's not a problem.  I just havent' seen it (yet). I'll keep an eye out for it though.

J.T.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com