Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744T Questions  (Read 8430 times)

Offline cfox

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 4channel Schoeps
Re: 744T Questions
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 10:12:49 AM »
The proper technique is to render the channels 1 & 2 into one stereo file then repeat for 3 &4, then combine stereo 1 and stereo 2. that seems like a pita. How is my panning the stereo channels in mono mode different then what I was told to do? somebody please help.

This is how we all do the 4ch mono on the 744t, not sure about all this panning stuff you are referring to...once you setup your montagues in wavelab, insert mono 1&2, render to stereo. Insert mono 3&4 render to stereo.  Combine 1&2 stereo, 3&4 stereo, render off gain, adjust time delay if needed, render out to 2 ch stereo.  Yes it is more work...
Schoeps cmc1k + cmc1k
mk41v, mk4v, mk22, mk21, mk8, mk2s
Sound Devices 833
m222>nt222
cmc6, vms5u, vms52, kc5, kcy, v3(m/s mod),
ad1000, HHb PDR1000, Sound Devices 744t, Sound Devices 833

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 10:30:56 AM »
I just do polywav.  So it comes in as 1 stereo file and 2 mono. (usually the soundboard).  Assign left and right to the monos then save each file separately.  Then remaster each stereo set and mix.  Only difference between this and the R4 is the r4 did 2 stereo tracks.  Always wished SD would do that too.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 11:10:55 AM »
I just do polywav.  So it comes in as 1 stereo file and 2 mono. (usually the soundboard).  Assign left and right to the monos then save each file separately.  Then remaster each stereo set and mix.  Only difference between this and the R4 is the r4 did 2 stereo tracks.  Always wished SD would do that too.

what is the purpose of saving them as mono files that have been assigned to left or right? why not save them as stereo pair? someone mentioned there is a tutorial floating around. can someone please share this with me. Thanks.

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 11:32:29 AM »
No I meant I save each pair as a stereo pair.  Not the mono's.  The original files get thrown on a dvd.  All others on mirrored drives.  Do you still need me to call you?  I don't know anything about the tutorial.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 12:57:55 PM »

so stereo on 1/2 and mono on 3/4 (or vice versa), set as polywav. and then what about splits? do you have any problem with file sizes being too large for wavelab?

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 01:03:13 PM »
I don't use wavelab so I can't comment.   ???  And I only run 24/48 so I rarely tape sets that go over 2 hours.  But Samplitude can handle it with the way I process them.  And my splits happen at 54 min or so running 4 channel.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:05:25 PM by Mark Burgin™ »

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 08:49:44 PM »
OK so what am I doing wrong. I opened 1&2 mono files and render them to stereo, but the only problem is that it sounds like mono. the wav files look identical. why isn't there a true left and right? and why when I render to stereo does the file become brickwalled? I had to reduce the master volume by 3dbs to get them below clipping/brickwalling. I must be doing it all wrong. someone please help meh.

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 09:49:01 PM »
Do you have audacity?  Try opening the polywav in that.  You will get one stereo pair in one window and 2 mono's in 2 separate windows.

This is what your stereo one would look like...

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/images/audacity-macosx.png

This is what your 2 monos would look like

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/images/audacity-linux.png

In the above pic click where it says channel one in this example. It will say your file name though when you open yours.  You can choose left, right or mono.  Choose the coresponding left or right.  I generally do my stuff left [1],right [2] {for the stereo pair} left [3] right [4].  It all depends how you plug your cables in.

Once you've done that close the 2 mono files that you just changed to left and right and save the stereo file as your mics {as an example..could be board or whatever}
Then click edit, undo to bring back one mono channel.  Then again to bring back the other.  Now close out the stereo file and save the 2 mono's {that have been changed} as your board feed.  You should now have 2 clean stereo feeds.

Maybe wavlab is having issues with the poly's?

That should work.

And I'm at work so I don't have my software in front of me.  I'm going by memory.  Also be sure to go into options in Audacity and change your default save to 24 bit pcm 48 khz before you begin..

From there you should be able to mix them in wavelab.  Give it a try?

EDIT:  Leave the pan stuff alone.  You don't need to touch them.  Just leave them centered.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:53:02 PM by Mark Burgin™ »

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 09:56:28 PM »
well, I have the mono files open but the problem I am having is assigning them to L and R. for some reason, I am not able to do that in my audio dispatching popup box. not sure what the problem is. It only allows me Lfront or Rfront, but when I select one or the other it is still being broadcast to both L and R. check out the screen shot below

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 10:33:29 PM »
hmm.  Maybe I'll download a trial version of wavelab tomorrow and play around with it.  Not sure what to say.  I would hope there are some 744 users here who use Wavalab who might chime in?

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 10:48:45 PM »
here is what happens when I check only Left on the top and only right on the bottom file. really weird. It is obviously a problem with my audio dispatching.

• Support Festival Radio
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 11:01:16 PM »
Ya that's certainly not right!  lol

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 12:45:17 AM »
open the first left channel, create montage from file.  in montage right click on the little 1 on the left under the "fx" thing.  add mono track.   add the right channel.  render as stereo.  repeat as necessary.  whatever the "audio dispatching" thing is isn't what you need. 

Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 01:06:34 AM »
the audio dispatching is what I was having a problem with. I finally got the channels to assign correctly doing the following: under mode, I selected DVD audio and then Mono which assigns both channels to Center. I then went under Audio Dispatching and unchecked both the center marks. Then I went back to Mode and selected Stereo and was able to then correctly assign LF to the top file and RF to the bottom file. After that I could correctly render the file to stereo. Please see the attached picture. I think I am all good. For some reason I guess there was glitch that wasn't allowing me to just select it when in the stereo setting at first. oh well, I am off to the races now.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com