Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol 4 Pro mod vs Tascam Tascam HD-P2 mod  (Read 2306 times)

Offline headroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Work with Photos and for Documentary Cinema ( Soundjob)
Edirol 4 Pro mod vs Tascam Tascam HD-P2 mod
« on: March 22, 2007, 01:15:25 PM »
Hi is there any information about the Tascam Oade or Edirol 4 Pro Busman moded recorders around. Wich is sounding better?

I want to by a new recorder for Soundrecording / Video and Decca tree miking.

I currently have the Microtrack 24/96 Apogee MINI MP + Me and the old Edirol R4 (sold).

What to by 1 Edi , 2 Tascam or 2 Microtracks? Sell the Apogge stuff?

I found the the difference from the 2 Apogee`s  small. The MP has a bit more definition in the Presence and less noise than the Me. Me is a bit brighter.

Tested with Neuman TL 103 and AT 3031 stock. The AT has more bass + high Frequency (with black egg shakers ) Neumann more presence in the voice 0.5 - 1 feet + general a tiny little bit less noise. The AT`s are very good. Neutral + less dark than my modded Octavas 012.

In April I will mod the AT 3031/32 with 3 better ( low ESR) Electrolytic caps

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol 4 Pro mod vs Tascam Tascam HD-P2 mod
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 02:35:27 PM »
Well first and foremost the obvious difference between the two other than price is one is four channel and two are two channel.

The other difference is that both units as well as the regular R4 all have different signal paths in general.  A R4 Pro is not going to sound like a R4 be it stock or with the same mods.

Alot of people on the board have the Busman modded R4 and R4 Pro and love them.  Some people have a Doug Oade modded R4 or R4 Pro.  They all sound different.  What Busman does is not what Doug does and you may find Busman's mods better suited to what your'e looking for or maybe you like Doug's more.

If you are considering buying an R4 Pro or 2 Tascams or 2 Microtracks then you need to figure out your costs.  Say $2000 for a fully modded R4 Pro.  $700 for 2 microtracks and say $2500 or so for 2 modded Tascams.

The benefit of the R4 Pro is that you have both set of channels time sync'd and that in itsef is invaluable.  Plus with the R4 you can keep the Apogees as well.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Edirol 4 Pro mod vs Tascam Tascam HD-P2 mod
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 03:01:07 PM »

The benefit of the R4 Pro is that you have both set of channels time sync'd and that in itsef is invaluable.  Plus with the R4 you can keep the Apogees as well.

all other considerations aside, the Tascam HD-P2 has a word-clock input, so it would be very easy to sync.  with the HD-P2, you can also sync the clock to a S/PDIF stream (while still using the analog inputs).  so, it'd be very easy to get 4 channels all lined up with no clock drift.

Offline headroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Work with Photos and for Documentary Cinema ( Soundjob)
Re: Edirol 4 Pro mod vs Tascam HD-P2 mod
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 05:09:48 PM »
Thats a good option with 2 Tascams, we have 2 SONY HDV FX1 cams,  optional each cam with LANC to SMTP timecode Radiotransmitters, all in Sync.

I trust more in Tascam than EDIROL to make good sounding  devices. The stock TASCAM is better than the EDI i guess.

2 Microtracks needs Soldering to make them START STOP from a single Button and no SMPTE timecode.

Edirol R4 Old model was a bit dull, not fast in transients  noisy on highgain analog. With the Apogees oit was was better, the Harddrives in generall are more destructive to sound then CF cards. Stupid Design only 2 Channels on SFDIF IN and the other 2 are lost.

The R4 Pro is TIMCODE IN and OUT, TASCAM only OUT.

The price EDIor  Tascam is not so a big problem but Soundevices is to expensive.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com