Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA>Oade Mod V3 ACM vs. TCM...  (Read 3778 times)

Offline Weirdness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
DPA>Oade Mod V3 ACM vs. TCM...
« on: July 11, 2007, 06:09:42 PM »
Good day all!
    I am currently running DPA4023>V2>AD500e.  Due to the fact that my bag weighs a ton and takes up way too much space, I have picked up a V3(thanks dreyfuss!).  It hasn't had the polarity fix done to it yet so I am going to send it on to Grace to have that done to it.  Although I haven't been able to track down any of the samples on the mods that the Oade Bros. are doing, I figured that I would give it a shot and try it out.  That being said, there are 2 mods that Doug does, an ACM and a TCM mod.  The ACM is apparently more warm and tubey and the TCM is more bright and lean.  I really like the sound of my rig as it is right now and want to basically replicate what I currently have as best that I can.  Any ideas as to what would be the better match?  It's been tough to get Doug to give advice on this aspect so I figured I'd throw it out here and see what the consensus was.  If anyone has recordings up of either version or any personal experience, any info is appreciated.  Thanks...

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DPA>Oade Mod V3 ACM vs. TCM...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 06:18:31 PM »
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=508073

A FOB recording I made this past weekend using the ACM V3.

We have the comp done but I just do not prefer the sound of the 480's paired with the ACM V3.   The Neumann's sound HUGE with the ACM mod though.

If you have any specific questions let me know and i'll try and help.   FWIW I have the first modded V3 from Doug.

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 06:36:17 PM »

I too have DPA's and am considering this mod. Would love to hear a comp.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 06:49:16 PM »
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.  If the Neumanns are better suited to the ACM than the AKG 480's, I wonder how that would relate to the DPA's? 

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 12:31:56 PM »
OK, it sounds like the ACM is the way to go if your mics are a bit more lean and trasnparent to begin with and the TCM would be better if your mics are on the warm and fuzzy side to begin with.  Here is some more info if it helps.  These are all quotes from Doug:

"ACM upgrade that warms up the sound a bit and dramatically improves the image. The sound really opens up with a very significant improvement in spatial detail. The 2nd is a TCM that improves clarity and detail with as transparent a signal quality as possible while improving the V3s soundstaging"

" the ACM as it is warm and tube like while the TCM is bright and lean ( those who like it call that sound transparent)"

"the ACM, because it is warm, is the best match with the DPA mics ( and Schoeps or any mic that is bright). The TCM is best for LD mics and flat mics, like the AKG C480s"

So then, I am going to send my V3 to Grace to have everything checked out and then off it goes to Doug from there to have the ACM mod.  I'll let you guys know how it all turns out. 

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
You don't want to wait for the comp 1st? My DPAs sounds brighter than my Schoeps with the stock V3. It also depends on the acoustics (bright, dull etc..) of the venue you record in, too.

I guess you cannot get a refund if you prefer the stock sound after doing the MOD. If I've got 2 V3s I don't mind trying it out. It's sort of a gamble if there is no comp, especially for me if I'm already satisfied and happy with the Grace's V3 sound.
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline rreidiii

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 02:37:13 PM »
What is the ACM Mod runnin?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 03:13:36 PM »
so the "warm" sound on a UA-5 is considered better for 480s but the "transparent" sound on a V3 is for the 480s

??

i think the ACM/warm was considered better for 480s on the HD-P2 too, correct

this stuff confuses me :)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 03:59:22 PM »
I believe the cost is around $150.  6 months or so ago, I was asking around about the sound of the V3 with my mics versus what I am currently running and the consnsus was to stick with what I was using as the top end was a bit brittle and fatiguing with gear that was already transparent and neutral to begin with.  Too sterile or clinical sounding seemed to be the idea.  Getting a modded unit seems like a good idea to improve in this area, the hope is that the ACM will be more similar to the V2>AD500e without the extra weight and space required.  Hearing the comps would be great but they don't seem to be readily available and they won't likely be done with my exact rig so it's going to be tough to tell what the outcome will be anyways.  Yeah, it's a gamble but of course you can't win if you don't play, right?   We'll see how it goes...

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 05:58:51 PM »
Spent some time today listening to some recordings from the same shows--4023>V2>AD500e vs. 4023>V3 and there is definitely a fair difference between the two.  Much more full and rich sounding with the Apogee.  With the V3, there is more sparkle on the top end but the mids and bottom end are thin sounding in comparison.  100% decided on having the mod done...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 07:32:29 PM »
FWIW, I ran a stock V3 for a long time and now have an ACM V3.  Though I've only used it once or twice plus hearing a pretty good comp, I can tell you that to my ears the ACM basically maintains the stock V3 sound I love while adding a significant amount of spatial detail, i.e. the ACM produces a BIG soundstage - deeper (most noticeable to me), wider (next noticeable to me), taller.  I don't feel it makes the V3 all that much "warmer".  But use your own ears!  Lemme check with the TSer who did the comp and ask if I can host my tweaked files (to match levels) so people can listen for themselves.  Stand by...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 09:16:58 AM »
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=508073

A FOB recording I made this past weekend using the ACM V3.

We have the comp done but I just do not prefer the sound of the 480's paired with the ACM V3.   The Neumann's sound HUGE with the ACM mod though.

If you have any specific questions let me know and i'll try and help.   FWIW I have the first modded V3 from Doug.

Can someone open up a seed for this show? I'm about 63 percent done.

ANYBODY....A day and a half later and now I'm at 83 percent. At 1 fucking Kb/s, this will take days. Can someone please help me out here? Gee how I love BT. Too bad panic isn't on the archive so I could actually DL this show and give the mod V3 a listen.

Day three. Yee haw, I'm at 88.8 percent. Maybe by the weekend I can give this a listen.  :banging head:

Day Four. Sweet! I'm at 95.5 percent after running damn near continuously for 4 days. Love me some bit torrent!  :-*
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 08:08:05 AM by Kevin Straker »
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

marc0789

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 11:35:05 AM »
Spent some time today listening to some recordings from the same shows--4023>V2>AD500e vs. 4023>V3 and there is definitely a fair difference between the two.  Much more full and rich sounding with the Apogee.  With the V3, there is more sparkle on the top end but the mids and bottom end are thin sounding in comparison.  100% decided on having the mod done...

that's what I thought, and why I dumped the 4022>v3 for 148>mme a few years back. I'd love it if the ACM does what that combo can do. I think I'd rather spend $ that way than overspend on an HD with a decent AD stage.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com