Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Modern all-in-one recorder help  (Read 326 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Modern all-in-one recorder help
« on: Today at 12:44:35 AM »
Hi All — Long time no see!

My old Fostex FR-2LE finally bit the dust and I'm in need of a new 2-4 channel recorder.  I have about a week to get one in-hand before my next recording and I have no clue about the current landscape of recorder options.  What better place to take advantage of the hive mind and identify a good replacement recorder?

Looking for something that roughly satisfies the following:
  • ~$500-ish, but not set in stone.
  • 2-4 channels of 48v phantom power (though I'm not opposed to more channels)
  • Min of 24-bit / 48 hz (I assume everything these days will do this)
  • Low noise analog components / internal preamps / ADC at high-ish gain.  I record a bunch of unamplified choral music and while the ambient noise floor relative to source sound isn't particularly low in the field — even with dead quiet audiences (e.g. HVAC) — I'd rather not add to it unnecessarily with noisy analog circuitry
  • Internal / onboard battery power of minumum 3 hours actual with 2-ch P48 / 10 ma draw
  • Ideally a plug for an external DC power source
  • Seamless WAV splitting
  • Non-proprietary media, e.g. SD
  • Non-proprietary file format, e.g. WAV / BWF (I assume everything is WAV / BWF?)
  • While not critical at all, I'd prefer to NOT have built-in X/Y mics sticking off the side / end (what a waste of space)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

These days I record mostly choral and organ music, with the occasional amplified bluegrass mixed in.  I anticipate getting back to louder amplified shows at some point in the next ~6 years (when the kiddo starts driving himself around).
« Last Edit: Today at 12:50:21 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline AbbyTaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Modern all-in-one recorder help
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:01:14 AM »
WOW!  Looks like your first post in over 5 years.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:41:03 AM »
Zoom F3 is the only thing I can recommend in your price range. If you can stretch your budget a bit, I would recommend an F6 instead.

Both options will require external power, however. I would not trust the internal batteries to get you 3 hours powering two mics with either recorder. If you get the F6, My recommendation is to use Sony L-mount style batteries that attach to the back.

One caveat with Zoom products that I recently discovered: they will not repair anything. My F6 suffered a short fall and two of the inputs were damaged. I had to spend $300 to replace the whole thing.

The other option I'd recommend is look for a used Sound Devices 702T or 744T, both of which could be had used around your price range. These are tanks and will last a very long time, and the company will repair them. I recently got a 788T-SSD and have been very happy with it.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:20:50 AM »
I own and might recommend the Tascam DR-680d. The downside for your specs above would be the mic preamps themselves in terms of the noise floor. I have zero issues running them without an external pre-amp, BUT, if I have my way I typically use externals before the 680. Others, and some on here, have claimed the noise floor is poor with the stock pres. You could always ask OADE's what they think and/or have on hand to sell you. That is where I bought my Marantz PMD-661 from. ( I am not rec'ing the Marantz as Dsatz gave a scathingly bad review regarding its' preamps, however, it does have the XLR and no internal mics stocking out feature you mention)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:23:09 AM »
It's out of your price range, but otherwise ticks all of the boxes: Sound Devices MixPre-6ii. Four XLR inputs (and another pair on 1/8"), good build quality, sounds great. If you can find a used first generation, it is probably about in the ballpark price-wise. I get around 5 hours with the 8 x AA battery sled with Eneloop Pros and it can also be powered with a USB-C power bank (with PD).

In addition to the F6 mentioned by voltronic, there is the Zoom F8n Pro. It is also out of the price range, but people that use them seem to regard them highly.

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:21:21 AM »
The F6 is incredibly small, yet still has an uncramped interface. I swap the Sony batteries at around 5 - 6 hours, just because.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:30:42 AM »
A couple of people have suggested the Zoom F6. That's what I would do if you can stretch your budget a touch (or look at a used or open box model).

The menus are pretty straight forward and it's a lot more user friendly than the MixPre-6/II. You'll need a Sony NP-F camera battery on the back but you can easily get 5-6 hours per show on a 7000mAh battery that doesn't stick out too much.

You could look at other options but the idea of set it and forget it level wise makes live recording so much more enjoyable.
Decks: Zoom F6, Zoom F3 w/ BTA-1 | Power: Neewer NP-F750 7000mAh | Mics: (under construction) | Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:01:34 PM »

Welcome Back!

I got my first gen Sound Devices Mixpre6 for $600. It's exactly what you describe. 6 inputs 4 of them with P48 mic inputs that are low noise and very transparent, easy to use, rugged, small and easy to power with a small inexpensive USB C battery.

You would have to find one used to get that kind of price but folks have moved on to the version II to get 32 bit. If you plan to do 24 bit it's the best recorder on the market IMO.

You could probably find a Zoom F6 that would tick all your boxes close to your price range if you buy used.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:24:23 PM »
Since no one's mentioned it, I'll add the R44 to the list.
I use 2 oade modified R44s but usually only bring one. If I need the channels I bring the 2nd and sync them with a simple 1/8" cable. They are HEAVY compared to all the newer options but I seem to remember them going for sale cheaper than I thought they should in the Yard Sale.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=204379.msg2407929#msg2407929

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=203526.msg2402441#msg2402441

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=203249.msg2400254#msg2400254

I'm taking a break for about a month so if you want to borrow one to check it out, you can just pay postage back and forth and that covers you for your next tape.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:22:50 PM »
I vote for a USED Sound Devices MixPre-3 or 6 (original version). I have the 6 and see no reason at all to upgrade to anything else. It's pretty much the standard deck these days. Buy goodcooker's. You won't be disappointed.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #10 on: Today at 04:10:40 PM »
I would go with the Mixpre-6 as well!  Zoom doesn't seem to fix broken recorders.  Sound devices has awesome customer service. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Derp1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: Today at 04:50:55 PM »
First Gen mixpre6. Nothing even comes close.
There’s no reality anymore, the whole world is pro-wrestling-
Col. Bruce

https://archive.org/details/@nodgeball

Offline Derp1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: Today at 04:54:03 PM »
There’s no reality anymore, the whole world is pro-wrestling-
Col. Bruce

https://archive.org/details/@nodgeball

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #13 on: Today at 05:07:30 PM »
Since no one's mentioned it, I'll add the R44 to the list.
I use 2 oade modified R44s but usually only bring one. If I need the channels I bring the 2nd and sync them with a simple 1/8" cable. They are HEAVY compared to all the newer options but I seem to remember them going for sale cheaper than I thought they should in the Yard Sale.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=204379.msg2407929#msg2407929

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=203526.msg2402441#msg2402441

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=203249.msg2400254#msg2400254

I'm taking a break for about a month so if you want to borrow one to check it out, you can just pay postage back and forth and that covers you for your next tape.

Optimal setup for me too, 4 channels when you need 4, 6 or 8 when you link the clocks

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com