Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: rig preparation, various questions  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Gizby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
rig preparation, various questions
« on: August 01, 2006, 01:12:52 AM »
Since this'll cover several areas, I'll lump it into the one thread instead of 4 or 5 more specific threads.

In the next month, I will be the proud owner of SP C4s > Oade w-mod UA-5 > MT2496. However, getting everything attached and set up is going to take some effort to put together as well.

[1] I was thinking of picking up the AKG KM235/1 stereo bar and the AKG KM231/1 tripod table stand (since I'll be generally in situations where I won't need an actual mic stand, as in the tripod would be resting on a table). Seems like a pretty cheap combo and would get the job done. Is the KM231/1 stereo bar suitable for most mic configs? Would a pair of the Studio Projects SPSK C shockmounts do the job for shockmounts, or are there better that the C4s would fit and wouldn't cost a hell of a lot more? And just how necessary are the shockmounts? I'm doing an open rig, but I'm still uncomfortable with having such noticeable additions as the shockmounts (which, from the pictures I've seen, are usually pretty large).

[2] Are the ETY ER20 earplugs still the preferred choice around here in the low-cost range?

[3] As I've never had mics before that needed XLR cables, I have none. What can I expect to spend for 5' to 10' worth? And what are some good brands?

[4] I will very possibly be in a situation where I can get a soundboard patch on a semi-regular basis. I've had access to it in the past, but was unsatisfied with the uneven mix (all vocals and drums, little guitar or bass) and how hot it ran (the MicroTrack runs a lot hotter than my old minidisc recorder). But now with the UA-5, I'll likely be in a position where I can do an aud + soundboard matrix right from the board. I'm not too worried about the mics running too hot because I can apply the -10dB pad on the C4s if needed and/or lower the volume/gain on the UA-5 (I assume) for the XLR inputs. Can I expect the same amount of control on the RCA inputs for lowering the signal? I'd really hate to have the soundboard patch overload a promising matrix. Also, the soundboard I'll be hooking up to has 1/4" mono outputs. Since I'll be hooking up to the RCA inputs on the UA-5, will the Hosa CPR-400G series do the trick adequately? Will the supplied output on the UA-5 hook up to the S/PDIF port on the MicroTrack, or will I have to buy a separate cable for that?

[5] How does one go about getting the Oade brothers to upgrade one of their UA-5 mods? I'd like to add the Plus mod at some point and have no idea how much that costs.

[6] I am uncertain if I am getting a battery with my newly purchased UA-5. Is this still the best way to power a modded UA-5, and is the soldering recommended?

Well, that's more than enough for now. Thanks in advance.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
Re: rig preparation, various questions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 01:44:41 AM »
PM bdasilva for your cables.  He makes great quality silverpath cables at a good price.  I have a few sets and am very happy with them.

EDIT:
Oade won't modify your unit unless it was originally bought from them.

EDIT 2:
You can pick up DVD batteries or RC and be good to go.  Just remember that the tip is negative which is reverse of many units.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 01:49:48 AM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 01:50:51 AM »
PM bdasilva for your cables.  He makes great quality silverpath cables at a good price.  I have a few sets and am very happy with them.

EDIT:
Aye, I'll be sure to PM him.

They won't modify the unit if I didn't originally buy it from them, or if it the unit was bought new, sent to them, and then modded? In either case, how will they know? Did they provide some sort of documentation with the units they sold?
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20

Team SoCal

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 01:57:52 AM »
Oade keeps track of the serial numbers they sell.  They won't mod a unit that was not sold by them.  A good business strategy to ensure people buy from them.

Busman2 may be willing to perfrom your mod for you.

EDIT: if the original owner of the unit bought from oade you should be good to go for the upgrade
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 02:01:35 AM by china_rider »

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 01:38:17 PM »

EDIT:
Aye, I'll be sure to PM him.

They won't modify the unit if I didn't originally buy it from them, or if it the unit was bought new, sent to them, and then modded? In either case, how will they know? Did they provide some sort of documentation with the units they sold?

If you have a real Oade Warm Mod, they should add the Plus for you.  You'll have to ask Doug yourself.  Doug only mods items bought from him and he'll mod a used item as far as I know.

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 03:09:10 PM »
He will only mod a used item if the sticker on the bottom of the UA5 in intact.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 03:37:31 AM »
[2] Are the ETY ER20 earplugs still the preferred choice around here in the low-cost range?

Those were my preference before I got the custom molded ones.  I've not heard better, but also haven't tried other earplug designed for music.

[3] As I've never had mics before that needed XLR cables, I have none. What can I expect to spend for 5' to 10' worth? And what are some good brands?

Not much - you could probably pick up a pair at a local musician's gear store for < $20.  Oops...looks like you already got a recommendation on this one.  Never hurts to hit up a fellow TSer!

[4]Can I expect the same amount of control on the RCA inputs for lowering the signal?

The rear RCA inputs on the UA5 share a common level control knob that provides some degree of control.  Whether or not it will prove sufficient for your specific purposes, I don't know for certain, but I suspect so based on others' experiences.

the soundboard I'll be hooking up to has 1/4" mono outputs. Since I'll be hooking up to the RCA inputs on the UA-5, will the Hosa CPR-400G series do the trick adequately?

Pretty sure those will do the trick.

Will the supplied output on the UA-5 hook up to the S/PDIF port on the MicroTrack, or will I have to buy a separate cable for that?

You'll need a 75-ohm coax cable with RCA connectors to connect the UA5 and MicroTrack.  The MT has a narrow slot for the RCA outer ring, so take your MT with you to test the cable and make sure it fits before buying.

[6] I am uncertain if I am getting a battery with my newly purchased UA-5. Is this still the best way to power a modded UA-5, and is the soldering recommended?

I prefer the universal DVD lithium ion batteries.  Try a Google or eBay search for keywords:  lithium universal dvd battery.  Some brand names / models:  Lenmar DVD-U9, Initial RB-270, and maybe some others.  Here's one on B&H Photo & Video for $40, though you can do cheaper on eBay.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 03:59:48 AM »
Battery wise I have several RC batteries and 2XLenmar DVD-U9.  At this point I prefer the Lenmar and can record a full show with the ua5 without the second LED going blank.

I use the Lenmars now for my R-4 and will get 7+ hours with phantom on 4 channels and the LCD on.  The RCs (9.6v X 3000mAh) give me 5+.  If I'm at a festival I bring them all since they don't take up much room.  You can probalby get 2 maybe or 3 of the RC batteries for the Lenmar price but the solution is not as slick.  The one benefit is that the RC batteries with a smart charger charge up several hours faster then the lenmars.

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 04:04:06 AM »
Thanks for your input, Brian.

I tried getting in touch with Todd R. first for the cables since half the board is running Dogstars. Imagine my surprise :) Yeah, if I can't get something through a TSer, I'll just get some standard XLR cables.

Someone recommended that I get the Hosa DRA501 cable for linking the UA-5 and the MT. Looks like a good choice to me.

The Lenmar battery looks pretty good. I'll have to pick between that one and the Initial.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me in various threads and via PMs. I'm well on my way to a good rig.

Team SoCal

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 04:13:24 AM »
The Lenmar battery looks pretty good. I'll have to pick between that one and the Initial.

FWIW, the Lenmar DVD-U9 and Initial RB-270 are identical, just different branding.  I think a couple others re-brand the same battery, as well, but don't recall the specific make/model names.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 04:31:06 AM »
Hot diggity then, Initial it is.

Team SoCal

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com