Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: aeta 6 track recorder  (Read 81315 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: aeta 6 track recorder
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2012, 05:40:20 PM »
Here's a video: http://vimeo.com/40839170

Around the 6 minute mark he says the full version will be around $6k.

Unfortunately per the official price list from Aeta (attached above in the thread) the full blown version is $7785
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2012, 05:50:43 PM »
Here's a video: http://vimeo.com/40839170

Around the 6 minute mark he says the full version will be around $6k.

Unfortunately per the official price list from Aeta (attached above in the thread) the full blown version is $7785

I'm wondering if they'll possibly lower the price in time. It happens sometimes with newly introduced gear. It would make sense to me that they might have better success with a price tag that is more competitive with the SD and Sax. Wishful thinking? ;D [size=78%] [/size]
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline myke2241

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Herron Sound
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2012, 02:57:49 AM »
Got pricing back from Pro-Sound and it is much more than I was expecting - I guess import taxes kill it:

These prices are w/o Timecode enabled:
4MINX 2 Mixer + 2-track recording  $5,150
4MINX 4 Mixer + 4-track recording  $5,775
4MINX 6 Mixer + 6-track recording  $6,375
4MINX 8 Mixer + 8-track recording  $7,125 (may include timecode - got price from another TS member)

I was originally not a fan. but after doing a little bit of research it seemed like a good option. I E-Mailed Aeta which took more then a week to get back to me (Bad sign). The person who was in charge of US sales actually never responded (Another bad sign). when i finally got the pricing and i was really let down. Timecode is a additional $675! WTF!!! the only thing reasonable was the track upgrade options pricing. Aeta needs to rethink this product line and figure out how to make them competitive with the big players!

There is actually nothing wrong with those prices and they are certainly in the same ball-park as the competition - assuming the competition to be Nagra, Aaton Cantar and Sound Devices.

The Nagra VI is, I think, $9,000 in the US - this makes the AETA 4MinX about $3,000 cheaper - so, the prices are in the same ball-park as the competitors.

In Europe it's competitive, coming in cheaper than the SD 788T and the Nagra VI.

It's only in the US that Sound Devices have a competitive advantage as they are made in the US - Nagra, AETA and Aaton all have Customs Duty to pay in the US as well as the cost of shipping it accross the Atlantic.

I totally disagree. That is not competitive at all. I don't care what the pre's sound like. This is a beta product with a very small user base from a company that hasnt been around that long making decks. the fact is that even in the markets it sells well in, it is still being out sold by its competitor. there is no way to get around that!
Sound Devices 788, Sony PCM-M10
MKH 416, MKH 70, MKH 80, MKH 8040, MKH 8090, Schoeps CCM 41, CCM 8, Sonic Studios DSM-6SL, Fostex M22RP MS, Soundfield ST450

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2012, 05:21:21 AM »
I totally disagree. That is not competitive at all. I don't care what the pre's sound like. This is a beta product with a very small user base from a company that hasnt been around that long making decks. the fact is that even in the markets it sells well in, it is still being out sold by its competitor. there is no way to get around that!

I certainly would not call it a "Beta product".  I admit that when it was first launched the firmware did need a bit of work, but that has all been sorted a while ago with lot's of input from experienced broadcast/film sound recordists.

AETA have been around for several years and are highly regarded.

OK - they are not as well known as their competitors, but the 4MinX is certainly not that expensive.

The 6-track version is £2,999 in the UK and the 8-track version is £3,168.

This compares to £5,725 for the Nagra VI and around £5,000 for the SD 788T.

Like the 788T, the 4MinX can accept AES42 digital microphones - it also has an option of "Soundfield" microphone monitoring (the Nagra VI has this as well).

So, seeing as it is 30% to 40% cheaper than the Nagra VI and 788T, I cannot accept that it is "not competitive".  Really.

Offline H₂O

« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2012, 08:29:50 AM »
At £2999 that is only around $4800 which is much more reasonable.

Aeta too exp in US
SD too exp in Europe

They are pricing themselves out of the local markets is the problem
LMA Recordings

List

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2012, 07:38:17 AM »

Aeta too exp in US
SD too exp in Europe

More like shipping across continents and duty that do it.

Anything that sells in the US for $1,000 will normally sell in the UK for £1,000 - that's about 50% more.

I assume it's similar going the other way.

Offline myke2241

• Taperssection Regular
    • Herron Sound
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2012, 02:53:50 AM »

Aeta too exp in US
SD too exp in Europe

More like shipping across continents and duty that do it.

Anything that sells in the US for $1,000 will normally sell in the UK for £1,000 - that's about 50% more.

I assume it's similar going the other way.

forget about the 788T. compare the 4Minx to the Nomad, Maxx or the new SD 664. a field mixer would rarely purchase the 4Minx. i dont think i need to explain why. but when it comes to pricing and being competitive....

4Minx
6 Track Recorder with TC option £3699
http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/Aeta_4_MinX_Mixer_and_Multitrack_recorder--product--828.html

Nomad 6
6 Track Recorder with Zatnet £3960
http://www.pinknoise-systems.co.uk/Zaxcom_Nomad_6_Track_Mixer_recorder--product--1041.html

The SD 664 and Maxx are actually even cheaper. 664 being $3900 and the Maxx with 6 track recorder and AES inputs comes in at $2985. With aggressive pricing like that the 4Minx is in trouble out of the gate regardless of how good it is.
MKH 416, MKH 70, MKH 80, MKH 8040, MKH 8090, Schoeps CCM 41, CCM 8, Sonic Studios DSM-6SL, Fostex M22RP MS, Soundfield ST450

Offline H₂O

« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2012, 08:44:34 PM »
I don't see Aeta selling to many units over hear in the states - there are 2 kind of video/sound production buyers I see - lower end where the SD line dominates and Zaxcom may dent a little and the high end where Nagra and Aaton dominate (some sonosax in this ring as well) - I don't see them getting into the higher end at this point unless the can differentiate there product better - they are priced out of the lower end

There is no VAT in the United States and import taxes are no more then 10% (I think they are around 7% for gear like this or so but I am pretty sure it varies from originating country to country)
LMA Recordings

List

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2012, 06:06:04 AM »
I agree about the US where SD and Zax are so cheap compared to their European price.

And European made stuff is so much more expensive than in Europe.

But in Europe it is the other way round - and the AETA is the equal of Nagra and Aaton in sound quality.

And comparing AETA to Zax is a bit like comparing Mercedes to a Ford  ;)

Offline myke2241

• Taperssection Regular
    • Herron Sound
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »
I agree about the US where SD and Zax are so cheap compared to their European price.

But in Europe it is the other way round - and the AETA is the equal of Nagra and Aaton in sound quality.

i wouldnt say that. i clearly pointed out there isnt a huge price difference between. The Nomad runs circles around Aeta. you seem to forget mostly field mixers are going to be buying these. so although having great sounding pres is one thing. Reliability and functionality is more important. The 4minX would not be able to compete on as big of a scale in the field because of Zaxcom's Zaxnet.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2012, 06:48:49 AM »

i wouldnt say that. i clearly pointed out there isnt a huge price difference between. The Nomad runs circles around Aeta. you seem to forget mostly field mixers are going to be buying these. so although having great sounding pres is one thing. Reliability and functionality is more important. The 4minX would not be able to compete on as big of a scale in the field because of Zaxcom's Zaxnet.

I take your point, but reliability of the AETA is good, I would say better than Zaxcom; though Zaxcom's ergonomics are good and I am hearing good things about Zaxnet.

Though, if I had to choose only SD or Zaxcom, it would be SD all the time.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: AETA 4MinX - 8 track recorder
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2012, 07:00:55 AM »
Having now had a much closer look at the AETA 4MinX - it is actually a lot better than I initially thought it was.

It has 10 inputs (4 x Mic/line, 2 x Line, 4 x AES3/AES42) which can be mixed in any way you like onto 8 channels - or - mix in any way you like on to 6 channels and use the last 2 channels for a stereo mix.

It is the only recorder that has the option for using both Digital microphones and a Soundfield microphone with Soundfield monitoring.

It is the same high quality level as the Aaton Cantar and Nagra VI at a much lower price level.  It is even a good deal cheaper than the SD 788T.

It also is the right size - not so small that it becomes fiddly to use (without buying external control panels), or too large that it can become unwieldy in a bag.

AETA had lots of help from professional sound engineers in refining the software - and the current version is very different from the initial unit from 2011 (but anyone with an initial unit would have been able to update it to the latest version with firmware updates).

The more I see it, the more impressed I am.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:02:43 AM by John Willett »

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »
At 6200$ in the states it isn't exactly cheap, but it certianly looks like a quality recorder.  OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2012, 01:40:10 PM »
At 6200$ in the states it isn't exactly cheap, but it certainly looks like a quality recorder.  OOK

That sounds high - in the UK the starting price is £2,499 and even the maxed out 8-track version, including time-code board and Soundfield monitoring is still under £4,000.

What version is the $6,200 price for?

Offline H₂O

« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »
You can find the US prices here

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=139573.msg1982245#msg1982245

It's cheaper to buy it in the uk and have it shipped the US then buying it in the US
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com