Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: first time taper, mic set up questions?  (Read 2307 times)

Offline tarkus22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
first time taper, mic set up questions?
« on: June 13, 2004, 01:07:12 AM »
hi, i am going to a few DMB concerts and the first one is less than two weeks away.
i have a sp-cmc-2 into sp-spsb 6 into a sharp MD(can get model number if needed)
i am sitting about half way between the stage and the lawn and if you are looking at the stage just to the right of center.
what would be the best way to set up these mics for best performance?
i will also probably clip them to the top of a hat because i dont have and cant afford a stand right now.(and since i dont have to hide them the top of the hat would get them the highest)
i know others will tape this show and get much better results but i just want to try my hand at this.
i just bought my mics and battery box based on advice i read from you all here on mics in this price range.
now i need your help on positioning these for best results.
my second DMB show i am sitting about 12 rows from the stage and if you are looking at the stage i am even more to the right this time but much closer to the stage.
how would you set up these mics for this one also?
thanks for all help and advice!

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: first time taper, mic set up questions?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 06:29:53 PM »
space as wide as you can on your cap and angle each mic out about 45* or so,... that will give you an approximation of DIN.

that should be a start, and I am assuming these mics are cardioid and not omni's...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline tarkus22

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 12:53:15 AM »
thanks!

and yes, they are cardioid.

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 09:09:11 PM »
why not just clip them onto someone else's stand?

JasonGreen

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2004, 10:51:08 PM »
I'm sure if you ask a taper to clamp on, they'll be more than happy...as long as you don't encroach on their space...

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 03:56:28 PM »
tarkus what shows are you referring to?
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2004, 11:16:56 PM »
the last DMB show i taped i was in the little section they had there by the board, and nobody had a real mic stand, it was all PVC pipes and stuff, just to get their mics up in the air.  I made my first stand, and it was nice, worked really well.  go to walmart, find one of those golf ball retreiver things that are telescopic, and put a mic clip on the end, extend up and you have a stand.  Might not be as tall as others, but will do the job.  I did that and then i put that on a speaker tripod, worked like a charm, and mad a good 15+ ft when needed.  Good luck. peace.

Matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 02:46:24 AM »
not to sound too negative, but yea...clamp or just leave the shit at home. you can rest assured there will be other tapers there with vastly superior gear with vastly superior seats that will probably have the show out to download within about 2 days after...
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com