Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What's the best way to go from XLR to 1/4"...?  (Read 5877 times)

Offline MattinSTL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
What's the best way to go from XLR to 1/4"...?
« on: September 11, 2005, 06:45:39 PM »
Yeah, yeah I know it sounds like a stupid question... and maybe it is.

I'm (hopefully) about to get a MicroTrack and I'm wondering if I should get some mic cables that go from XLR to 1/4" or what everybody else is gonna' do? I read a statement about hating "dongles" and I hate those too... I don't want to be screwing with adapters making the MicroTrack fat 'n awkward (like my prom date)... so whatta' ya' suggest?

Also I'm wondering if some of you have XLR lavs that you put a break in... like a 3.5 locking mini... which I need for a wireless set. I'm trying to figure out the best way to use all the mics I have with XLR jacks (camera and SD mixer), 1/4" jacks (MicroTrack), and 3.5mm locking jacks (wireless sets).

Also is it pretty normal for the pin configuration of XLR to match the pin of 1/4" connectors? So that my signal is okay and the 1/4" still pass phantom power?

Any input is appreciated. :P
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 06:47:17 PM by MattinSTL »
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What's the best way to go from XLR to 1/4"...?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 06:58:01 PM »
an xlr > 1/4" cable ;)  mic end in exlr, MT end is 1/4"

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 08:08:39 PM »
hey - not such a dumb question actually.  Lots of XLR>1/4" adapters will unbalance the XLR and you won't be able to run phantom power thru it.  Make sure you're looking at a 'TRS' 1/4" end.  Tip, Ring, Sleeve (3 conductors, just like the XLR).  If you only see 2 it's the wrong one.  If you're not sure what I mean, look at any headphone plug (discman, ipod whatever) - you'll notice 3 distinct metal areas on the plug.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 08:41:36 PM »
Thanks guys! Do you have any favorites? I like Canare StarQuad which is usually what you get if you go with Remote Audio brand of cable... some PSC cables are made with it... and FilmTools has a nice Canare too... but I also want Neutrik connectors or whatever looks and works the best.

I'm a goof-ball for good cables... so what does everybody like? Or should I just have Trew Audio make me up some StarQuad with Neutrik XLR and TRS 1/4" for the mic end?

Since I gotta' get AT LEAST two of these cables (two different lengths of match pairs most likely)... I'll take some opinions to heart.

Also what about that wireless question... Do any of you guys run a lav hardwired but also have a break in the cable for other uses?
I didn't know there was a problem until I saw myself sitting there with a glass of tap water, eating an oregano sandwich on a two week old hamburger bun... and the only thing going through my mind was, "God I love this new shotgun!"

Current mics: 480b/ck61/ck63/ck69, Rode NT1000, Oktava mk012 hyper/cardioid, MKE-2, D230, RE50.

Past mics: MKH-416, AT4073a, ME-66, NT2000, NTK, NT3, TR50, M-150, M58, ATR55, MS907.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 11:15:39 AM »
If you were to make your own, you should use TRS 1/4" plugs, as dklein mentioned.  Wire them with pin 2 to tip, pin 3 to ring, pin 1 to sleeve.

If you'd like high quality XLR>1/4" TRS interconnects, I can make you a pair to your specs.  More info is available in this thread in the retail section.  Drop me a pm if you want to talk more about it.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 06:46:23 PM »
Thanks everybody... I get a lot of stuff from Trew Audio (www.trewaudio.com) and I ordered a pair of StarQuads with Neutrik connectors. Should be here tomorrow. I got one in 18" for running an SD pre and one in 20' for running the MicroTrack straight off a boom mic. Since most of what I do is mono-dialog I will rarely use the MicroTrack as a two-channel recorder.

Actually I guess it was kind of a stupid post afterall... sorry about that. :-X

Instead of "lips sealed" why don't we call that smiley "about to puke".
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 06:52:32 PM by MattinSTL »

Offline Brian

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 07:00:18 PM »

Actually I guess it was kind of a stupid post afterall... sorry about that. :-X

Instead of "lips sealed" why don't we call that smiley "about to puke".
:lol:

matt....i can't wait to meet you in person.  you sound like quite the character.  we need to get you out to some shows and hang with the STL crew 8)

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 07:15:57 PM »
Brian... I'm totally down with that. I can always use a few more friends!

Just to further verify my stupidity... can you believe that I ordered a 20' cable and an 18" one?

I've been working with XLR cables for YEARS and it never dawned on me to just get TWO 18" cables and plug whatever length XLR I wanted onto THAT. I'm hoping that I made a subconscious decision to eliminate an unnecessary connection. Otherwise there's just no excuse. I've got hundreds of dollars in various lengths of StarQuad XLR all over the house!

Considering XLR is NOISE FREE... that's why we use BALANCED CABLES remember? There's not much point in avoiding the connections unless you just want to save on bulk... and how is it saving anything by making sure that I'll ALWAYS have to carry an extra 20' cord in case I want to use the MicroTrack in stereo?

Jesus, now I gotta' pay another $10 shipping for the other 18" XLR...

Okay NOW it's officially a stupid post... ahh... oh... mmmph :-X

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 08:34:31 PM »
+t  just for gp   ;D
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 09:26:55 PM »
Hey I really like this plus T minus T thing... I hope I'm not the only noob who wanted to ask what that meant. It wasn't until earlier today that I finally figured it out on my own.

I kept looking at the "tickets" and wondering what I'd get to pick out of the case.

"All right! I've got 11 tickets already... pretty soon I can get that Snoopy eraser!" :o

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 09:50:53 PM »
Hey I really like this plus T minus T thing... I hope I'm not the only noob who wanted to ask what that meant. It wasn't until earlier today that I finally figured it out on my own.

I kept looking at the "tickets" and wondering what I'd get to pick out of the case.

"All right! I've got 11 tickets already... pretty soon I can get that Snoopy eraser!" :o

my first thought was "how much is this one going to cost?"
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 03:51:39 AM »
i vote mattinstl best newbie ever.  informed, reads posts, asks intelligent questions in the right forums... ;D  +T!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline MattinSTL

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 10:28:42 AM »
Thanks Simp! That means more to me then you might think. I'm a big part of some other audio forums and I always try to contribute in a way that makes the forum worth more rather then worthless.

I've read about a hundred of your posts already... so coming from a veteran like you the seal of approval is appreciated.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 11:29:18 AM »
Thanks Simp! That means more to me then you might think. I'm a big part of some other audio forums and I always try to contribute in a way that makes the forum worth more rather then worthless.

I've read about a hundred of your posts already... so coming from a veteran like you the seal of approval is appreciated.
apparently you glossed over my drunken posts, posts about jbk liking the cock, and general nonsense ;)
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 03:53:41 PM »
Since most of what I do is mono-dialog I will rarely use the MicroTrack as a two-channel recorder.

Matt,

The MT is only gonna do stereo out of the box. Mono in a future firmware update FYI. I'm in the same boat when it comes to cables. Must payoff MT before heady cable purchase!
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
What's the best way to go from XLR to 1/4 TRS"...?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 07:00:10 PM »
I had first thought I would butt the two connectors together but this was long and rigid and I had to have somewhere to put the outside of the connecter  when I soldered it. I can play with it now.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com