Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: jb3 cables  (Read 3869 times)

Offline jonlund

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
jb3 cables
« on: November 09, 2005, 12:32:45 PM »
wondering what cables im going to need to run my sony stereo mic(i know,i know thats all i got right now until i can save some cash)
into my jb3 and what cables in case i can patch from someone else.how is the Notmad Explorer software?thanks

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
Re: jb3 cables
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 01:45:21 PM »
wondering what cables im going to need to run my sony stereo mic(i know,i know thats all i got right now until i can save some cash)
into my jb3 and what cables in case i can patch from someone else.how is the Notmad Explorer software?thanks

Is the sony mic battery powered?  What's the model #?

Search on the patching question, it should be in here somewhere.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

Offline jonlund

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 03:06:09 PM »
it runs on one AA battery.Sony ECM-907 Stereo Mic. $99 special,but im really pleased with the recordings ive gotten with it on my minidisc.

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 04:40:44 PM »
it runs on one AA battery.Sony ECM-907 Stereo Mic. $99 special,but im really pleased with the recordings ive gotten with it on my minidisc.

Try plugging this into the line-in on the JB3 and recording your home stereo. You might have to add gain thru the JB3 software to get good levels.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 06:41:38 PM »
I ran that mic into a MD for awhile then swithched to the jb3 and was seriously disapointed!  I don't know what model md you run but mine had a much nicer front end then my jb3.  you may want to stick to the md untill you can afford a decent pre then look into mics etc.  I was very pleased with the small handfull of shows I recorded ecm 907>MD.  but the jb3 required tons of gain boost which brought in a lot of noise.  also the adc in some of the higher end sony md's is actualy quite decent and will sound better than the jb3 even taking into concideration the atrac compression.

I would stick to what you have for aud recording till you get a pre.  once you get a pre throw the md to someone just starting out and the circle continues.  save up for a ua5 or something.  the sony mic is ok and can handle phantom power.  so you can run that while you shop for 'real' mics.

get a small handfull of cables and adapters for the jb3 and use it for patching only.  an optical cable of decent length,  a fairly long pair of rca cables and an rca>mini stereo adapter is all you really need.  only run the jb3 optical or line in with little to no gain added and you'll be fine.

have fun,
Kris
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline tms

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 09:52:33 AM »
I ran that mic into a MD for awhile then swithched to the jb3 and was seriously disapointed!  I don't know what model md you run but mine had a much nicer front end then my jb3.  you may want to stick to the md untill you can afford a decent pre then look into mics etc.  I was very pleased with the small handfull of shows I recorded ecm 907>MD.  but the jb3 required tons of gain boost which brought in a lot of noise.  also the adc in some of the higher end sony md's is actualy quite decent and will sound better than the jb3 even taking into concideration the atrac compression.

I would stick to what you have for aud recording till you get a pre.  once you get a pre throw the md to someone just starting out and the circle continues.  save up for a ua5 or something.  the sony mic is ok and can handle phantom power.  so you can run that while you shop for 'real' mics.

get a small handfull of cables and adapters for the jb3 and use it for patching only.  an optical cable of decent length,  a fairly long pair of rca cables and an rca>mini stereo adapter is all you really need.  only run the jb3 optical or line in with little to no gain added and you'll be fine.

have fun,
Kris

Hi Kris,

I was wondering about that and thought I remembered reading that the signal from those mics was not very high. 

For patching, how would someone provide an optical patch?  Are there toslink splitters out there?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 09:54:01 AM »
I ran that mic into a MD for awhile then swithched to the jb3 and was seriously disapointed!  I don't know what model md you run but mine had a much nicer front end then my jb3.  you may want to stick to the md untill you can afford a decent pre then look into mics etc.

Better yet, go to a show about which you don't especially care and run both mics > MD and then mics > JB3.  Then determine which you prefer.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 09:55:24 AM »
For patching, how would someone provide an optical patch?  Are there toslink splitters out there?

JB3 Tapers FAQ
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 10:09:22 AM »
I ran that mic into a MD for awhile then swithched to the jb3 and was seriously disapointed!  I don't know what model md you run but mine had a much nicer front end then my jb3.  you may want to stick to the md untill you can afford a decent pre then look into mics etc.

Better yet, go to a show about which you don't especially care and run both mics > MD and then mics > JB3.  Then determine which you prefer.

100% true!!!  your own ears will tell you much more than anyone here can.  I'm just throwing around my $.02 and a bit of my own experiences.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline jonlund

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 10:55:46 AM »
I like the sound of the Sony mic(for $89 what the hell) going into the minidisc,but it only has analog out.maybe I will just use the jb3 for patching and continue to use the MD for recording unless I can find a decent preamp for under $100 and misc. cables that I might need.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com