Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what is the generally accepted clamp...  (Read 5274 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: what is the generally accepted clamp...
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 10:24:37 AM »
For railings, I like the SuperClamp best.  Judging from the picture, I'd also probably want to raise the mics a bit, say with a gooseneck extension.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 03:58:07 AM »
Back from the dead... I've read a bit of the old clamp threads in the archives and between those and this, I'm left with just one question (I think):

Will the Windtech MPC-10 really support a shockmount and an LD mic (like the LSD2 or BSCS-L?), I would have thought it would have some trouble with that sort of weight? Is that the point where someone would go to the bogen super-he-man-clamp? I remember seeing the pictures of Nick's LSD2 and where the superclamp was involved with the bad mount, so I was curious if thats just what people who have big mics use, or if it was just an example and wasn't a realistic application (regardless of the bad mount). Thanks.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 10:00:04 AM »
I have the windtech and would not trust it with a large mic...it's just not heavy duty enough.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 02:55:17 PM »
Will the Windtech MPC-10 really support a shockmount and an LD mic (like the LSD2 or BSCS-L?), I would have thought it would have some trouble with that sort of weight?

I used the MPC-10 with my AKG 414s all the time - one clamp per shockmount & mic.  No problems whatsoever.  The 414s are on the smaller side of LD mics, so YMMV.

Some pics:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,51606.msg1068595.html#msg1068595

I'd never trust a pair of LDs and shockmounts on a single MPC-10, though.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 03:19:20 PM »
What Brian said.

Since he posted pictures of the 414s mounted with windtechs, that's all I've used with mine. I've never had any issue.  The H-85 basket will give before that clamp will.

The only issue I've had with the windtech is the end of the threaded rod having a sharp ridge that eventually bites through the rubber end cap but that is easily addressed with a flat file.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 04:02:58 PM »
i would trust a windtech to hold a LD.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 06:06:20 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,2456.0.html

Yeah, I'd poked through that, plus the thread from Shaggy about the double superclamp and the one about the balcony in Jacksonville, and the one about the extension that Moke linked. I thought those were geared toward smaller stuff (minus the superclamp) since they generally recommend the windtech. I've missed stuff before, and I apologize if a clamp that would hold heavy stuff is in there and I missed the reference. I'll go back and read through them again just in case.

+Ts for the responses folks, thanks.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline RobertNC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 02:17:17 PM »
The Windtech will support a set of SDs, the basic swivel T-Bar that most people use and a pair of reasonably light shocks no problem.  I've clamped My MGs, the swivel T and WindtechSP20 shocks to another stand with no problems.   The Avantone shocks I am running now may be a little heavy for that clamp though.  Bogen superclamps are a lotta weight just by themselves to be putting on the top riser of many stands - depends on how sturdy the top riser is.

The Windtech is not sturdy enough to hold a pair of LDs and shocks. But it is more than adequate to run a single LD and a heavy duty shockmount per clamp.  I've run my TLs that way with no problems and I think are a lot heavier than the 414s.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 02:29:57 PM by RobertNC »
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 07:34:34 AM »
Yes, a windtech will support an LSD2... done it several times, both clamped to a stand, and to the ceiling beam at the local club.  No worries.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com