Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Low audio on my recording  (Read 2482 times)

Offline P-Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Low audio on my recording
« on: June 13, 2008, 04:07:03 PM »
I just recorded a show and after normalization, its still low in some spots, primarily the acoustic songs. Is there any way to fix it? In the future what should I do? Do I need extra equipment (I currently have an iRiver H120, Church Audio mics and battery box)?
Thanks.
Paul

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Low audio on my recording
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 04:13:31 PM »
You could apply a volume envelope in post-production to raise up the quiet, acoustic sections while leaving alone the louder portions.  What audio editing software do you use?

Edit to add:  In recordings with very broad dynamic range, there's not much you can do while recording.  Set your peaks appropriately - approaching, but not reaching, 0 dBFS, ensuring you leave some headroom so you don't clip - and record away.  If parts of the recording are too quiet, you may raise them up as noted above.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 04:15:36 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rich

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 04:33:37 PM »
not super familiar with the church gear...but you mention battery box...sounds like you need gain...does the "battery box" just supply phantom power?..or does it also have gain?..perhaps a fixed gain of 20 db.

Rich
sweeet beaver!

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 04:47:53 PM »
The battery box will typically power the mics properly but not provide a lot of gain.  If you are recording loud events this is good because it gives less a chance of overlaoding your equipment.  For quieter music you will need a preamp to amplify the signal coming into the recorder. 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 04:52:54 PM »
The battery box (without gain) v. a preamp (with gain) is an issue with respect to achieving (or failing to achieve) peak levels.  But the OP indicated he normalized in post-production and the recording still has an issue with the quiet portions remaining too soft.  This suggests the issue is the broad dynamic range of the source material, not a lack of gain.  So while a preamp may help with achieving higher peak levels, it wouldn't help with the problem the OP mentions.
Roland R-05

Offline P-Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 06:39:42 PM »
You could apply a volume envelope in post-production to raise up the quiet, acoustic sections while leaving alone the louder portions.  What audio editing software do you use?

Edit to add:  In recordings with very broad dynamic range, there's not much you can do while recording.  Set your peaks appropriately - approaching, but not reaching, 0 dBFS, ensuring you leave some headroom so you don't clip - and record away.  If parts of the recording are too quiet, you may raise them up as noted above.
I use Audacity to edit it.

Can you explain volume envelope? Will it become raspy?

Edit: The battery box is a 6v battery connected in between the mics and the recorder.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 06:43:48 PM by P-Man »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 06:44:10 PM »
I use Audacity to edit it.

Can you explain volume envelope? Will it become raspy?

Not sure what you mean by "raspy".  Increasing the levels during the very quiet parts shouldn't impact the audio, it should only make that portion louder.  Here's an example of using the volume envelope to make a portion quieter.  You'll just do the opposite: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,97253.msg1295450.html#msg1295450
Roland R-05

Offline rich

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 07:33:59 PM »
Brian

Many thanks for further explanation and clarification.

Rich
sweeet beaver!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com