Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Left<>Right protocol  (Read 3059 times)

Offline scarletfire1

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
Left<>Right protocol
« on: August 08, 2008, 04:19:15 PM »
In reviewing http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,107578.0.html and other threads, the taper protocol seems to be that the mic pointing to the left (stage right) is the taper's left channel and vice versa. Therefore through headphones, it would recreate the audience experience of the show with correct spatial orientation.

I just can't seem to get my brain around the fact that when played back on monitors, what was coming through my left ear (stage right) at the show is broadcast through the left channel to my right ear.

So if I'm used to Phil being on my left from touring, he's playing back on my right using monitors and the left using headphones.

Does anyone else worry about this, or am I just a moron?    ...wait, don't answer that last part. 
Neumann KM 184s / AKG SE 300 B ck91, ck93 / ADK A51/ SP C4  > R-4 Busman Mod -or- UA-5 (Oade T+, BM2p+) > H120
CA-11 cards, omnis > CA Ugly > H-120

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: Left<>Right protocol
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 04:25:54 PM »
moron. 

Uh, I mean... 

Actually I have thought about that before. I'm not sure what the concensus is but I just leave my tapes alone.  I have often thought about swapping the chanels and then a/b ing to see which I like better but I have yet to do it.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 04:34:19 PM »
You should be around for a deeply philosophical and drunken argument about which way to pan drums in a studio some time.

My $.02, for an ambient recording I think it makes more sense to pan it from the audience perspective.

Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 04:39:07 PM »
You should be around for a deeply philosophical and drunken argument about which way to pan drums in a studio some time.

My $.02, for an ambient recording I think it makes more sense to pan it from the audience perspective.

I got into an argument the other night with a guitar player that wanted me to run him stereo with a hard L/R pan so his effects would sound cool.  the problem is that the mains are really far apart and are set up to run mono. so his effect would be half in the bar half in the dining room.  dumb ass would not let down until I told him to walk around the bar while I played his guitar.  He came back and said "ya I guess your right. what dumb ass set up this room?"  I politely said I did, and if he wanted to have a good night he should be a bit more polite...
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 06:25:26 PM »
In reviewing http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,107578.0.html and other threads, the taper protocol seems to be that the mic pointing to the left (stage right) is the taper's left channel and vice versa. Therefore through headphones, it would recreate the audience experience of the show with correct spatial orientation.

I just can't seem to get my brain around the fact that when played back on monitors, what was coming through my left ear (stage right) at the show is broadcast through the left channel to my right ear.

So if I'm used to Phil being on my left from touring, he's playing back on my right using monitors and the left using headphones.

Does anyone else worry about this, or am I just a moron?    ...wait, don't answer that last part. 

I think you're a little bit confused.  The mic pointing to the left should be the left channel, because that is how we hear it in the audience.  If you are used to hearing Phil on your left at the show, the end result should so like Phil is coming from the left, both through headphones and through speakers.  If it doesn't sound like it did at the show, you've got the channels reversed somewhere (maybe the mic cables crossed, maybe the headphones on backwards...)

easy jim

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 07:06:05 PM »
I think you're a little bit confused.  The mic pointing to the left should be the left channel, because that is how we hear it in the audience.  If you are used to hearing Phil on your left at the show, the end result should so like Phil is coming from the left, both through headphones and through speakers.  If it doesn't sound like it did at the show, you've got the channels reversed somewhere (maybe the mic cables crossed, maybe the headphones on backwards...)

QFT. Or, maybe you have your speakers/speaker wires set up in reverse? 

I always thought speakers for home listening ought to be set up with the left/right in relation to the listener facing the speakers, not as the opposite 'stage left' and 'stage right' as if there was an imaginary stage between them in refernce to which you assign the channels.  So, just change the channels to which you have you home speakers assigned and then have no problems... 8)

Offline boojum

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 07:26:41 PM »
What I record plays back as I heard it.  Sounds on the left remain on the left.  The opposite is true, obviously.  If somehow the channels get reversed I switch them back in my audio editor.

NB:  what is left on stage is left in the headphones and left in the monitors.    8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline scarletfire1

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »

I always thought speakers for home listening ought to be set up with the left/right in relation to the listener facing the speakers, not as the opposite 'stage left' and 'stage right' as if there was an imaginary stage between them in refernce to which you assign the channels.  So, just change the channels to which you have you home speakers assigned and then have no problems... 8)
That's the ticket. My speakers are set up as stage left/right so facing them reverses the audience image.
Neumann KM 184s / AKG SE 300 B ck91, ck93 / ADK A51/ SP C4  > R-4 Busman Mod -or- UA-5 (Oade T+, BM2p+) > H120
CA-11 cards, omnis > CA Ugly > H-120

thepassionofyonder

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 04:38:10 PM »
so with speakers that come with your computer...
one says right, one says left.
which one goes where?
this confuses me :P

Offline datbrad

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 05:15:18 PM »

That's the ticket. My speakers are set up as stage left/right so facing them reverses the audience image.

Dumb question, why would anyone set up a pair of stereo loudspeakers stage right/left? It makes no sense. When you are facing any stereo pair of speakers, and pan the balance knob to the right, the right speaker facing you should be the one that you are hearing, and visa versa.

As a side note, you have to be careful when patching out of a SBD regarding the R/L orientation. Sometimes, a right channel out is actually stage right, not the right stack facing the stage from the audience, and this can really muck up a matrix recording due to crossed image. Good idea to ask which way the SBD outs are oriented, just in case.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com