Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping from a less than ideal location  (Read 1906 times)

Offline towanda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Taping from a less than ideal location
« on: July 27, 2008, 09:06:20 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm still quite new to all this.

Almost all of the shows i've taped so far have been on the floor. This time however i'm stuck with a seated ticket and i'm just wondering what to expect, taping from this location.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Taping from a less than ideal location
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 09:11:10 AM »
I'd run hypers from that position.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline towanda

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 09:20:55 AM »
Cards are all i have.
I'm just wondering what's going to happen being so far from the centre.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 09:32:47 AM by towanda »

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 09:36:12 AM »
Cards are all i have.
I'm just wondering what's going to happen being so far from the centre.

only one way to find out for sure...
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline willfoy1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »
Questions to think about: Do you know if the mix is going to be mono or stereo? Where will the stacks be?
If the mix is not stereo, then it's possible to obtain a decent recording from a side-rear location. Emphasis on Decent.

The likely best option for you is to run your card's in parallel to each other..., and point 'em at the stack you're probably going to be facing. If that's the case, you'll get a decent sense of mono, and the loss of stereo will make it sound more like you're just where you are.

If you had omni's, or a really weak cardioid pattern, you could also just point them at either side. Reflections might make it muddy, but you'd get the stereo-ness of the room. 

Another thought, thinking back to a Flecktones show I did where I was house right and basically in front of a set of stacks... [Reading, PA show that should be on archive.org if I remember correctly]: point your left mic at the stack. Point your right mic at about 45 deg away from that. It'll make your soundfield a little strange, but you could get some stereo-effect from that, depending on your pattern. It's not ideal, but try it out for the opener.

Best bet is still to point at stack, in parallel. It'll sound mono, but better than nothing.

Is no one else taping this show? If they are, you can always try to clip onto their stand if you have the right stuff.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com