Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Laptop firewire card  (Read 6930 times)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: Laptop firewire card
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2004, 05:32:54 AM »
for patchers in using the analog outs. i got leegeddy to make me some cables

ive got  (2) 1/4" mono > rca mono cables. and also a dual 1/4" mono > 1/8" stereo cable

i figured i would need them at alot of the smaller shows i see since alot fo the time i have the only real rig

my 410 is just a bit different than yours. when Doug Oade did the warm mod to mine, he also changed the analog outs to all mirror the first set.. so i cant do 8 channels output, i can just do one set 4x. it works for what i do with it, and creates ALOT less current draw than they did stock so my op amps have alot more power to do what they need to do

on a side note. i was just tracking a show from 2 weeks ago, the band i archive. i got to the end of the show and my mics were still set up for a little bit and i got to hear part of the titty show that directly follow the concert... it was spectacular to boot. nothing like having a 40yr old nazi biker to set up a titty show and collect a cash prize for the winner ;D

silverbullet

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2004, 05:48:02 AM »
Yet, another reason to bring a video camera to shows. Where a shirt that reads 'Girsl Gone Wild', look like a director and see what happens.  8)

So you can patch out the 1/4 plugs. Dang if I can figure it out, that and the optical outs. I'll recheck the firewire command menu.

What are those link buttons and main/aux buttons? I don't know anything about the panning options or what panning even is. The firewire written manual is not helpful. Should I be reading the manual from the computer somewhere?

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2004, 07:51:45 AM »
i should have at least had a camera for the titty show, i was dfc 1st row ;)

im not too much of an expert on the 410.

i am using the 1/4" analog outs for patchers, when you plug them in, they automatically activate and the lights on the front panel light up telling you which output is active

im not sure about the aux/main buttons... panning should just be choosing which output is left/right correct? im not real sure

you should be able to get the optical out to function by using the 410 menu and activating it, or maybe it is always active. ive never used the digital outs before

silverbullet

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »
im running a firewire 410 (oade warm mod) into a lappy with a 4pin firewire jack

this is my second lappy with the 4pin jack

works fine with a 6pin > 4pin cables, you just have to provide power for the unit

i use these, they have to be the best option out there, without a dought. comes with a plug that is right angle that fits the 410 perfectly
http://batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=172

I got this battery today for my FW 410 but I'm thinking I can use something like this for my laptop computer as well. I know that's what it was intended for to begin with but can I use this along with my computers internal battery at the same time and extend my laptop running time even further?

As far as charging goes ... there's no battery indicator. You just charge for 10 hrs and hope for the best? What if you only used the battery for a short time and need to recharge for the next show. Do you still recharge for 10 hrs? Any chance of over charging?

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2004, 08:22:40 PM »
it is possible to use that battery for an external extra battery with your internal. i have definantly been down this road, and have tried it

i tried it with my sony picturebook. thier batteries are like 11.1V, so i hoped the 12v would be enough to charge the internal while i taped... wrong. the charger for the picturebook was 16V, so this pack didnt have enough current to actually charge my battery, it just kind of extended it a bit.... but it got me by for a YMSB show, both sets with a 2x capacity picturebook battery and it..

you might want to check out thier other batterys with a higher voltage, something similar to your charger voltage if you want something that will prolong your battery life a great deal

my suggestion, check and see if your lappy is compatible with a Valence:
http://www.valence.com/

there are 5AH and 10AH versions of these... and they recently released a new one but i dont know the specs on it, they can get kind of pricey, but i tell you what, i LOVE my valence and wouldnt trade it for anything

as far as charging that battery goes, i try to discharge it fairly good before i charge it. BUT, sometimes that isnt possible. i would charge it while you can check on it, and see when the pack gets warm. these chargers do not have enough output to harm the pack, the extra juice will just be output as heat, and not very much heat at all for that matter. when i plug mine in I just let them go till they get kinda warm... they wont get warm untill they are fully charger

silverbullet

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2004, 04:30:10 PM »
24/96 recording went fine but I can't seem to send that digital signal out my FW 410 and into my home stereo system.

I figured out my problem. I had to go under my control panel, audio devices, and select my 410 spdif as my main playback device.

A-duh

now I can play my 24/96 recordings from lappie>dig out> dig in> home stereo  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com