Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wavelab 5 - resample and dither workflow - noob content  (Read 2433 times)

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
Wavelab 5 - resample and dither workflow - noob content
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:48:40 AM »
Excuse the noob content - but I have finally entered the 24 bit realm.

I think I have mastered the dithering workflow using the 'render' function, however I have a question regarding resampling.

I have a 24/48 file. It has been mastered and I am all set to change it to 16/44.1. In the rendering pane I have selected 'create new file' and selected with the drop-down menus the final sample/bit values. The question I have is this the proper way to do it, or should I resample it separately first, and then dither that resulting file?

I have search the threads and the consensus is that resampling is better to do at the larger bit depth but I am concerned about the way in Wavelab might perform the two functions at once.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Wavelab 5 - resample and dither workflow - noob content
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 12:10:04 PM »
first off all are you just using the render function to dither?  you should be using a plugin to do it (izotope ozone or uv22 hr).  just changing it to 16 and rendering is using the "stock" render and is not nearly as good.  I also use the resampler 192 plugin to resample.

I use the batch process to do both steps at once.   I actually track the 24bit and then do the batch so the 16bit is tracked the same way.  you can do the same process for the single file.  I'm coping and pasting so this is for a tracked 24/48 but again you do it the same except it's one big file.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,105212.msg1405831.html#msg1405831

batch process in wavelab

open wavelab and go to tools > batch.  then you should be on input.  input the tracked 24 bit files.  then go to output and point it to save in your 16 bit folder or wherever.  also make sure that output is set to 16/44.

go back to input.  there is a little box over to the right (between the A and extras buttons).  that is the edit batch plugins button.   click on it and then click on plugins > resampler 192.  click on it.  it should then move to the window on the left (sequence) .  double click on it to be sure it's set to 44.1.  then look back at the plugins and click on VST.  select what you use to dither.  I use izotope 3 most of you use uv22hr.    so under sequence should be resampler first and then the dither tool.    if you use izotope you must click on it to open it up and set up (turn on) the dither.  you do not have to for uv22hr.  always resample first then dither (make sure they are in the correct order and the first one is highlighted).

hit ok and then run and you will output 16/44 tracks from the 24/48 tracks.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 12:17:37 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply, I will give it a try later...I assumed that there was a step I was missing...the sequence modifier in the batch process is exactly what I was looking for.

I use the uv822hr dithering plug-in usually with the normal setting with good results.

I appreciate the help.

Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »
Gordon: worked 1st try...thanks again

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com