Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps MK4 question  (Read 3595 times)

Offline upkerry12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Schoeps MK4 question
« on: December 05, 2010, 09:32:37 PM »
Hi
I use a Sony PCM D50 to stealth record. I'm thinking of replacing my Core Sound Binaurals with a MK4. Does this mic work if I just plug it in? No other power source needed? And what's everyone's opinion of them? I record jazz at Yoshi's mostly. thanks, Bill

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps MK4 question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 09:44:59 PM »
that's a huge upgrade you have in mind!

I don't know much about the Schoeps MK4, but i can tell you that you will need phantom power http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=61799.0

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:22:12 PM »
upkerry, the Schoeps MK 4 is a capsule--the capacitive element which converts sound waves into variations in electrical voltage--but it is not a complete microphone in itself. Normally it is used with a "body" (a/k/a "amplifier") of which several types are available for different powering methods. For studio and professional use the CMC 6-- amplifier is the normal type, since it supports standard phantom powering and has the best immunity to interference from radio-frequency signals, etc.

Alternatively there are some specialized setups which bypass the need for a microphone body by substituting other circuitry. But in no event can capsules simply be connected to a recorder directly; I hope that's clear. Generally the most useful form of connection is either that the capsules and their "bodies" (amplifiers) are connected by cable to a preamplifier which then feeds the line (a/k/a "aux") inputs of your recorder, or if the preamp also contains an analog/digital converter, its output then can feed the digital input of your recorder.

I hope I'm not just repeating things which you already know full well ...

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline upkerry12

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 10:50:09 PM »
Not at all. I thank you all for the info. Yes it is a huge upgrade but I think it's about time. I'm serious about taping so why not? I'll be looking up loads of terms in the next few days. Thanks, Bill

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 12:50:20 AM »
the schoeps cmr setup would be right up your ally, there is a set in the ys, all you would need is a set of mk4's, very low profile and very small footprint

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=141166.0

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 01:05:11 AM »
The Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 (aka Lemosax) option in the YS would work, too:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=141111.0

And there may even be an NBox option in the YS somewhere, but I haven't looked.  Both the SX-M2/LS2 and NBox are preamps containing circuitry that replaces the mic body DSatz notes in his post.  In both options, you need specialized cables to connect the MK4 caps to the preamps.  I believe both YS listings include these cables.

One of the primary benefits of using the MK4 cap is that it's part of a modular system.  So if you have MK4 + associated cables + Lemosax (or NBox or CMR), you could replace the MK4 with another set of caps, if you wish -- for example the more directional MK41 supercardioid.  Typically, it's less expensive to replace the caps vs. an entire mic.

If you're happy with using strictly cardioids, you might also consider the CCM4, which is not modular like the MK4.  It's a complete microphone, albeit still very small.  It can be used with any preamp providing phantom power -- Sound Devices MP-2 or MixPre and Naiant LittleBox are two options that spring to mind.  Fewer specialized components with this option, but you lose the modularity of the MK4 caps.  In this option, if you wanted to switch to supercardioids, you'd buy the CCM41...but this is more expensive, since you're buying the entire microphone and not just the cap.

So, to sum up:

• MKx for modularity, but requires more specialized components, i.e. limited number of preamps and specialized cables.
  • CCMx for a more standard option usable with any preamp providing phantom power, but at the expense of modularity.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:09:54 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sparkey

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 10:11:30 AM »
There is a set of MK41's in the YS for $1200, great price and IMO preferable to the MK4's.  I find for what I tape I much prefer the hypercard pickup pattern.
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 10:54:02 AM »
So, to sum up:

• MKx for modularity, but requires more specialized components, i.e. limited number of preamps and specialized cables.
  • CCMx for a more standard option usable with any preamp providing phantom power, but at the expense of modularity.

Nice summary. 

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 10:57:51 AM »
There is a set of MK41's in the YS for $1200, great price and IMO preferable to the MK4's.  I find for what I tape I much prefer the hypercard pickup pattern.

To the OP.  While I agree that the 41's in the YS are a great price, keep in mind the statement above is personal preference.  Even though I'd like to have a pair of 41's in my bag, I'm not the biggest fan of the MK41 sound (which is less warm than the MK4) and prefer the sound of the other capsules in the Schoeps line when the environment allows.  Your decision should be based on your own recording environment (whether you'd want/need a hyper for cutting down on off-axis sounds) and your personal sound preferences. 

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 11:02:22 AM »
here is a pictoral comparison of the different low profile Schoeps recording options: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136697.0

Offline sparkey

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 12:57:17 PM »

keep in mind the statement above is personal preference. 

Hence my clarification of opinion and preference
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.283 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com