Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 3120 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Windows 8
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:48:43 PM »
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/13/microsoft-launches-windows-8-developer-preview/

Developer preview was today.  I'm not impressed with the Kindergarten-inspired GUI.  The sample videos look cool, however, showing beta Win8 running on a tablet.  A tablet.  But I'm not going to buy a 24" touchscreen for my desktop.  Win8 is built on the same platform as Win7.  But I don't want amateur-written apps littering my harddrive.  I want professional written software with all the kinks worked out.  Low RAM usage and quick boot times.  It bet this will scream on a SSD boot drive.  Very interesting.  It's certainly not boring.             

Their strategy appears to aim directly at Android and iOS over a single consolidated operating system platform for all PCs, tablets, phones, and pmp's.  No separate OS for each device.  Google with Ice Cream Sandwich and Apple with iOS5, will run on both phones and tablets.   However, Google and Apple's desktop/laptop operating systems are of a different architecture.  MS is combining Win8 across all devices, and going for it all....... 

That said, every time MS comes out with a major upgrade, ex. ME and Vista, it turns out to be an abomination.

Discuss.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:33:53 AM »
Thanks for sharing this.

its annoying enough to use touch screens for photo printing kiskos, i couldn't image replacing a mouse/keyboard with just a touch screen. I have a feeling more and more tablets are going to be developed with weak processors and sold for more than a desktop. I don't know why people would want this but marketing people will do their job and everybody will be staring 3 inches from their face into a 12" blacklit screen at a movie or show.

related to apple, here is a link explaining the company is moving to ARM processors:
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/06/apple-to-move-from-intel-to-arm-processors-in-future-laptops/

Maybe since a 5+GHz processor has yet to be sold, these hardware manufactures want to shift away from the GHz race and focus on tablets and the OS they run.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 02:25:43 AM »
I don't think MS wants you to use touch on every device.

I think this is a good idea. They learned their lesson with Vista. Windows 7 has been fantastic for me. Currently it's my favorite OS, although that is partially because much of the software I run only works with MS.

I just finished installing the Developer Preview on my laptop via Virtual Box. I'm going to try to play with it tonight.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 09:20:14 AM »
You can disable the interface, but beyond this and forthcoming ARM support Win 8 is simply Vista 3.0 (Windows NT Version 6.2)

Windows NT 5.x
 - Windows 2000 = 5.0
 - Windows XP = 5.1
 - Windows 2003 = 5.2

Windows NT 6.x
 - Windows Vista/2008 = 6.0
 - Windows 7/2008 R2 = 6.1
 - Windows 8 = 6.2

They made minor version changes instead of major to avoid having to recert/rerelease all new drivers for hardware

The new filemanager stuff is pretty neat with customizable quicklinks at the top (OSX has these but they are not completely customizable)

I currently run OSX/Windows 7 and love both - both have there pros and cons
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:23:22 AM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 12:37:15 PM »

I think this is a good idea. They learned their lesson with Vista. Windows 7 has been fantastic for me. Currently it's my favorite OS, although that is partially because much of the software I run only works with MS.

I just finished installing the Developer Preview on my laptop via Virtual Box. I'm going to try to play with it tonight.

How big a partition did you make in VB? I just installed it for the first time, but did not increase the default to more that 10G. That was a mistake I think. I created a shared folder with Win7 as a work around.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 11:04:48 PM »

How big a partition did you make in VB? I just installed it for the first time, but did not increase the default to more that 10G. That was a mistake I think. I created a shared folder with Win7 as a work around.

20GB, but I chose the option to make it expandable since I don't think I'll install many programs on Win 8 except Firefox and Chrome.

Having issues with my graphics settings. My laptop is 1366x768, but I can only get the settings to 1024x768. Seems to be an issue with the Virtual Box tools which I can't get to install correctly.

If they can get this OS to sync between everyone's "devices" (ie your phone, laptop, desktop, tablet) with cloud storage it will be pretty bad ass IMO. Right now it takes a little bit of work to do all of that. To make it work out of the box will be huge for the average user just as long as MS can get the average user to get over the hump on the learning curve of a "new" OS.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 11:26:13 PM »
Interesting article on CNN Money's website tonight: 

"Can Windows 8 save the PC from extinction?"

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/14/technology/windows_8_pc/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

"Microsoft has in effect thrown down the gauntlet to Apple and Google," said Laura DiDio, principal at tech consultancy ITIC. "Microsoft said, 'Not only are we still relevant but we have every intention of giving you a run for your money and users' hearts and minds."

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:29:48 PM by spyder9 »

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 04:07:28 AM »
Finally got this working properly. Moved over to VMware Workstation 8 to get it functioning properly.

Follow the instructions on this site:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2011/09/15/install_windows_8_dev_preview_in_vmware_workstation

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 04:55:01 PM »
Here is a quick guide on 10 or so new changes in Windows 8 - I definitely like the updated Task Manager and I am interested to see how this no-plug in's IE will work out.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/windows-8-changes-microsoft-metro,review-1692.html

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com