Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I'm at a crossroads in my taping life and need some advice.  (Read 2326 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
I'm at a crossroads in my taping life and need some advice.
« on: March 14, 2004, 05:14:38 PM »
I've been taping for almost 2 years now, and while I am not able to tape often (average of once a month or so), I enjoy the hobby.

My setup up until just after New Years was the following:

LCSC MM-MCSM-4 > Custom SP-SPSB-1 Pre-Amp BBox @16hz > Sony MZ-R500; MD/m

Well, the MD recorder finally died due to problems beyond my total comprehension and the scope of this topic, but it did.

So, I'm left with a set of mics that I can use (and plan on using for stealthing acts until I can get a good set of mics for taper-friendly stuff), and a battery box/pre-amp that is analog only. Again, I have using it down pat, blindfolded, but I wouldnt be against replacing it.

I'm looking forward in time, as the next big thing for me will be tail end of May, and after that Phish this summer, and then the National Folk Festival this fall.

That rounds out what I'll be taping this summer, so its not terribly heavy, and its not for a bit so I've got some time.

Now, the problem is, I havn't the faintest clue of how to rebuild my setup with new parts. Another way to put it would be to say that I dont know what equipment would be best for me in the long run, and what to do to replace stuff.

I've looked at other posts, and researched various options, such as solid-state recorders (since my MD recorder will kinda record, and kinda play, but only for whats in the buffer on the initial spinup, and not subsequent spinups, thus I figured it was the constant vibration since I tape near the stacks, and less moving parts would create less issues). But with everything currently running 1/8in plugs, and pro-equipment generally running either coax/optical or XLR, I'd have to find equipment that could interface just fine in pieces.

I've looked at the UA-5 (no mods except for the digi one since I'm poor), and the PMD670 recorder which is sooooo not stealthable as its as big as my ibook. Also, I've thought about doing laptop taping since the only conceivable addition I would need would be another battery/power solution and the UA-5. Looking at the laptop-tapers mailing list this week when i get a chance, but that doesnt give me a stealthable solution. I've thought about a PDA based solution (again, looking at the mailing list this week) which can be truely solid-state with CF cards, and almost solid-state with Microdrives. Last but not least, I've even looked at the NJB3 w/ CoreSound's digi/pre-amp. Notice the lack of DAT (or anything with the constant purchase of media for recording), I'd like to keep it that way after my fits with MDs.

Now to add a last twist, as I've commented before, I'm reletivly short of cash since I'm finishing up a semester at college and will probably not be buying a recorder or recorder/AD/amp beginning of May after I run away from higher education for a summer. I'm trying to keep this under $500 if possible, but depending on the solution, I could consider a bit more.

So, any thoughts, questions, comments? Anyone who replies, I thank you for your time and output.

I appologize for the poor explanation at times, and will clearify any section upon request.

-- Page
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
Re:I'm at a crossroads in my taping life and need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 07:13:22 PM »
Yeah, I was leaning toward the UA-5 as if I wanted to do laptop taping, or something at 24/96 later, I atleast had the option. Even if its not bitacurate, I'm cool with that for the applications that I'll be using it for.

Didnt get a chance to see in the yardsale section, so that was my bad there, and thanks for pointing it out. ^_^

-- Page
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline mgleason007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 12:38:38 AM »
I second the JB3 and UA-5 reccomendations.  You can use the JB3 with what you have now.  I think you could also plug your batt box into the UA-5 and benefit from a better A/D, but it would be hard to stealth the UA-5.
Mike

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 02:41:12 PM »
Yeah, stealthing with it (the UA-5 and the resulting battery) is preatty much out unless I'm at a festival which would require it (I can think of one), and then I could use my backpack to hide stuff. The PMD670 is almost the size of my ibook, and I was considering that and the UA-5 isnt that big, but still I'm not big enough to be able to conceal anything bigger then a small discman at best.

So far I'm looking at:
Regular Taping:

(for right now) LCSC > MM Dual XLRF FM adaptor > UA-5 > NJB3

Alternatively, if the digi-mod doesnt kill the inputs for 1/4in then I could just use a 1/8>1/4 adaptor and stick it in there and eliminate the 1/8>XLR adaptor. The problem with this is I'm not sure if the UA-5 provides "plugin power" since I cant use phantom power for these mics that I have right now. I've asked a couple of people and due to the strange nature of what I'm trying to accomplish, not many know for sure.

Stealthing:
LCSC > Custom SP-SPSB-1 Pre-Amp BBox @16hz > NJB3

That works, the NJB3 has analog in, and I can suffer a bit as long as I can find a place to hide it as its a bit bigger then my original recorder. ^_^

Yes, I know that this would all be such a moot point if I just got an XLR based mic, but I'm being conservative at the moment if at all possible. Although, I do have my eye on an NT4 for under $400 for later this summer, and thats in my eventual price range for a decent mic.

Comments?

-- Page

***Edit: Went back and checked an email from Brian Costigan, and he notes that the UA-5 only does Phantom, so I'll end up sticking a battery box in front of it to power the mics for now until I pick up an XLR based mic. Thats ok, no extra expense and where I am allowed to tape, it wont create anything other then another link in the chain (since it also terminates in a 1/8in plug which my mics also do, so nothing changes there). Left the post as its original state just for historical perspective of my train of thought.***
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 02:46:24 PM by saitoh »

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 05:48:04 PM »
I'm thinking that that would be the best bank for your $$.  I don't know what your mics terminate in, but if worse comes to worse you could go LCSC > JB3 if you can't get the batt box in, although that thing is so damn small I doubt it would be an issue.  A bad tape is better than no tape :).
Mike

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 10:19:01 PM »
mics = 1/8 plug
batt box = 1/8 plug (and its slightly smaller then an ipod)

so the NJB3 really is the biggest peice of equipment I'd have.

Thanks for the info and tips. I've got my shopping list ready and the order in which I'd need it. Thank you.

-- Page

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 10:53:40 PM »
+T and good luck!
Mike

Offline brandont_h

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 09:37:04 AM »
Even if its not bitacurate, I'm cool with that for the applications that I'll be using it for.

As dklein will tell you, the UA-5 to JB3 actually is bit perfect.  Well, in the sense that it faithfully reproduces an analog sound, since there's really no such thing as "bit perfect" in the analog to digital realm.  The UA-5 resamples all digital data, so is not bit perfect in that sense, but going from UA-5 to JB3 is perfect.

Knowing David, he probably has lots of stats and facts to back this up, cause he's *very* thorough that way.  Talking to him for ten minutes convinced me that my next recorder will be a JB3.  :D

-Brandon
AKG C1000S > Edirol UA-5 > Sony TCD-D8
DAB > DA-120F > Sony TCD-D8

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com